Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Broken kingpin caused me lots of damage.. please help me.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boarder4Life3780
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seymour/La-Crosse/Minocqua

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Broken kingpin caused me lots of damage.. please help me. Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad please please PLEASE help Crying or Very sad
I broke a kinpin recently and i was trying to get it out by vising it and hitting the broken one out with a punch and a hammer. Im not sure what its called but i call it the "foot" of the truck.. (where the 4 or 6 holes are in the trucks.. kingpin goes through it.. its where the truck is fastened to the deck) Well on that thing one of the sides where 3 holes are broke off because thats where i had it vised. Now i dont know what to do and i dont have any money to buy new trucks.
Two things,
ONE: How am i SUPPOSED to get broken kinpings out so this doesnt happen?
TWO: Does anyone have any truck "feet" laying around they could send me? Or know a place i could buy one for cheap (cuz im broke), do they sell them separately?

K-dub
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skateshops usually sell them seperately.

Do you have atleast 3 of the holes you need left in the base plate? If so, your truck should go back on and stay in one place just fine.
Boarder4Life3780
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seymour/La-Crosse/Minocqua

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I dont the whole side just cracked off, and do you know how much they charge for one of those?
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, I don't know how to break this to you but you made the cardinal error in kingpin repair. You shouldn't EVER try to hammer the broken kingpin back through the baseplate, the metal's pretty soft & usually you end up mushrooming the pin so it won't slide out the baseplate. But it sounds like that doesn't matter since your baseplate is busted too. In the future, just go to a skateshop when that happens. They have tools for that kinda stuff so they can pull out the busted one & put a new one in for like $2.

I have an extra set of Independents that I'm not using. I can sell 'em to ya cheap if you want. Drop me a PM if you're interested.
RUSSIAN
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NOR*CAL

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ton of baseplates, but it would cost you more to ship them then to get new trucks

K-dub wrote:
DRAGON88, everyone shall now call you Tinkerbu'....
Zara
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is possible to change a kingpin by hammering it out you must proceed with hella caution! Having worked in skateshops for a very long time I learned a whole bunch of really useful tricks about how you can do this with minimal damage to the baseplate, if any.
Firstly, although you might be inclined to hammer the piss out of it do refrain. It is better to take a hammer and use the new kingpin that you'll be installing as a pick to tap it through firmly, but not whailing on it like it owes you money. This may take longer, but you won't have to go get new trucks in the end.
Secondly, and this may sound very bizzare. Find yourself a sewer grate, preferably one on a not so busy street & not in the middle of the road. The base plate of a truck fits in very nicely between the grooves of the grate so you don't have to hold it and hammer it at the same time. This way if you are hands free you'll be able to put more momentum into it and not hurt yourself.
Oh, and by the way, Tensor kingpins are not changeable by yourself or any shmuck at a skateshop (no matter what he or she may tell you). They have a lifetime guarantee so you'll be able to take them back to a shop & get them either replaced or fixed by the company.
Hope this helps.
Zara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: