Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Sad Loss
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephan

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Sad Loss Reply with quote

I have a friend who I met at school who is originally from Sacramento. A few weeks ago I talked to him and one of his best friends was in the hospital after taking a gnarly crash doing a whirlybird. He was in a coma for a few weeks. Well I spoke with him today and he has to go back home for his friends funeral. This is the worst thing I've ever heard of. Remember life is precious and don't let a day go by without telling those you love how you feel. Don't live in fear, but I guarantee you he didn't expect wakeboarding to kill him. Peace, love, respect and unity to all.
cptnboom
Criminal
Criminal

City: Fort Collins

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sux...sorry to hear that stephan
BillJ
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is sad. I've heard of some bad concussions and broken bones but I couldn't imagine that someone could actually get killed wakeboarding.
cptnboom
Criminal
Criminal

City: Fort Collins

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...the way this sport has gone...I am not sure I have ever heard of anyone wakeboarding either!!

--A VERY smart man
Ocean Rider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats sad man how did he do it? Crying or Very sad
BR_WB
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

one of his best friends was in the hospital after taking a gnarly crash doing a whirlybird

That's terrible
Maestro
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Markham

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's horrible man! One of my friends I played hockey with last year got drunk/high/God knows what else and thought it would be fun to go rollerblading while being towed by a car. Apparently they got up to speeds of 80kmh - well I don't know if he hit something or if it was just too fast, but he fell and hit his head on the pavement pretty hard. He's been in a coma since then and they're not sure if he'll get out. Obviously in this scenario he had it coming, but it's still a horrible waste of human potential.
Lynsey
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nor*Cal

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awful, my thoughts are with your friend and his friends family. I hope he was wearing a life vest.
Maestro

City: Markham

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buttacup wrote:
That's awful, my thoughts are with your friend and his friends family. I hope he was wearing a life vest.

I don't mean to be a dick/unsensitive, but I don't think whether he was wearing a vest or not really has any value at this point.
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Stephan,

I am very sorry to hear of the tragedy. These are wise words my friend - "Remember life is precious and don't let a day go by without telling those you love how you feel"

I am now 50 years old and believe me, I do exactly what you've suggested.

Sorry again for yours and your friends pain and suffering....

Wes
Stephan

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was told, is that a few weeks earlier he had gotten a concussion trying whirly's. So on this day he did the same thing and landed pretty hard on the side of his head. He felt alright, a little dazed and got back on the boat. I guess when he got back on he had a seizure and stopped breathing. They got him breathing again on the way to the hospital, but he never woke up. I guess the concussion earlier contributed and his body just shut down one thing at a time. I didn't know him personally but anytime one of your own gets taken away it's the hardest thing ever....
lebaron
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Langley

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro, i know a kid who did the same thing on a skateboard, he finally came out of his coma and is learning how to do everything again.
liquidforce519
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sorry dude Sad
BIGMAC
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Russellville,AR

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regards to your friend!! Sad How did it all happen? I know you said whirlybird but how?
drifter36
Addict
Addict

City: Fargo

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, that is one of the worst things i have ever herd. i am truly sory, i know how it feels to lose someone. the last 2 years of school one of the pple i hang out with has been killed(one by cancer, and the other by a snowmobile accident) but if you wana look at it in a sort of positive light he did go what he loved doing.
Shawn Madison
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Norris, TN

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin was celebrating after her last week of Pharmacy school and went to the lake for some tubing. Well, her neck was snapped back somehow with an impact to the water. She went back the next day and it was really sore, but kept tubing. Then on a trip to the mall the next Monday-she sneezed and dislodged a bloodclot in her neck causing her to be paralyzed by a stroke. She endured several surgeries and had a slim chance of surviving, but now after therapy-she is a pharmacist with a slight impediment on her left side. She is a national spokewoman for stroke patients too! It just shows you never know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wakeboarder rez
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Du Quoin, Illinois

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats crazy what happened, was there any chance that there was a rock or stump in the water, how long did he last in acoma before he passed on????
Stephan

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope it was all impact with water and I believe it was about a month until his organs stopped functioning. Each day has the potential for life changing experience. Just last Thursday my stepdad(the father of my little brother), went in for a physical cuz he hadn't been feeling good a for a couple weeks, well 8 hours later he was having emergency open heart surgery and we were completely freaking out cuz we had no idea. Six hours of surgery later he has a tight titanium aorta valve that tics to the point that you can hear it, a little interesting...and a zipper of staples up his chest.
Lynsey
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro wrote:
buttacup wrote:

I don't mean to be a dick/unsensitive, but I don't think whether he was wearing a vest or not really has any value at this point.

I said that because there was one guy who was wakeboarding on the Sacramento River (I believe) and wasn't wearing a jacket, so when he hit the water hard, it knocked him unconscious and put him in a coma. This is what I read on a really old thread on a different site months and months ago. So if anyone knows about this and i'm wroing on some stuff, just politely correct me.

Stephan- Glad your little bro is okay, that is scary stuff!

kim
Addict
Addict

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that is so sad. I've lost a friend too, but he wasn't wakeboarding at the time. It sucks really bad and can really change your outlook on life. I wish you and your friends family the best.
Boarder4Life3780
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seymour/La-Crosse/Minocqua

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best regards man, I can't tell you how it hit me, I couldn't imagine what it feels like. You're in my thoughts man.
Adam Greer
Addict
Addict

City: Camden, SC (clemson, SC during school)

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear that bro, at least he went out doing something he loved. I'll definately keep yall in my toughts and prayers.
Anything worth doing is worth getting hurt for....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hollywood

City: Door Knob

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buttacup wrote:
Stephan- Glad your little bro is okay, that is scary stuff!

Again, your post makes no sense. Not to be insensitive, but where are those cracked hull pics Stephan?

Hangtime
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Concord

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan

Thanks for sharing your story. Please pass on our regards to your friend's family.

For anyone who doesn't think water is hard, I'm here to tell you--it is!. I'm recovering from a concussion that had me curled up on the sofa for 2 weeks. I hit the back of my head while doing a lame 180. It hurt to hold up my head (when sitting) and it hurt bad (migrane headache) to focus on something like reading or watching TV. I just had to close my eyes and wait for my brain to heal itself. I now consider myself lucky to be here adding my story to this thread. Learn your limitations and have fun, but you've got to know your limits. We are not invincible, even though we feel like it.

Last edited by Hangtime on Nov 07, 2003 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
chubby
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: NC

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats terrible
Hollywood

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hangtime wrote:
I hit the back of my head while doing a lame 180.

Learn your limitations and have fun, but you've got to know your limits.

So I guess your limit is a 180? That sucks...

Stephan

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood, you wanna know where my F-in pictures are. Here's how it goes. My Dad is getting ready to head out to the lake house cuz the first batch of pictures were a little dark. He has a doctors appointment the morning before he leaves, and well they detected a heart murmur(no previous condition). They ordered him to go to the hospital to get some tests, whereupon they discovered a torn aorta, you know the thing that killed that guy from Threes Company, John Ritter. They set open heart surgery for the next morning. Then they decided that was risky and set surgery for that afternoon. So 8 hours after going to the doctors office for a check up and when he was supposed to be driving to the lake, he is opened up and having open heart surgery. Well that was two weeks ago and now he's got a new heart valve and a row of stitches(staples up his chest, they come out tomorrow), he went for a walk today and maybe walked a quarter of a block and was whupped. So you're right I apologize, I should have had those pictures up awhile ago. Not to mention that I had Midterms all last week and this week. Right now I'm hoping that my dad will be able to live long enough to see me get married. So F--- You VERY MUCH!! All you talk is $H!T, I believe in karma and take solace in tha fact that you will reap it in the end... Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing ass

The part of my brother was Lynsey's(buttacup) misunderstanding, I said the Father of my little brother, or my stepdad.
Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood, you gotta now when and where would be the right time do ask off topic questions. This thread is about rembereance of a fellow boarder who has passed away. Have a little respect for him and those who knew him....it's not hard.
Just PM him instead next time.

Stephan, I know what you went through. Last christmas, I went home for the holidays, ended up driving my Dad to the ER for bypass surgury. He had a 100% closure of one of his aeorta's(sp?). The doctor said if we wouldnt have brought him in that night, he would have had a stroke. Kinda humble's you when you see your very own "superman" hurt Crying or Very sad

Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That doesn't sound nice.

Last edited by salmon_tacos on Nov 07, 2003 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hangtime
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Concord

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It was that day, but only because I was way too tired.

I learned 2 things from that crash: 1. When your muscles are wasted, get back in the boat and rest, the consequences can be serious. 2. I need to learn how to fall without wacking by head.

Last edited by Hangtime on Nov 07, 2003 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Hollywood

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't rip anybody. Read the post.

Stephan, my bad! I should have known all that stuff was going on in your life.

salmon_tacos
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood,

I read the post. I guess you were just pointing out the obvious facts that his limit was a 180 that day and that it sucks to get a concussion? Oh, well. It didn't sound nice.

Last edited by salmon_tacos on Nov 07, 2003 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitit
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Nor-Cal

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan, I'm sorry for your loss. This story will stick with me for awhile.

It's also a shame that some people have to ruin the spirit of this post by being so negative.
wocriders
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bristol TN, from SML VA

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and your friends fam are definitely in our prayers. Loss is never something easy to deal with no matter how prepared you are.

God Bless

www.antihellclothing.com
www.jesusisarebel.com
www.christiansurfers.com
Lynsey
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Oops, I misread it, that's what I get for speed reading. Hollywood, quit trying to rile the man up by pestering him about the boat pics, I agree with what Dpierce said. This isn't the first time you asked him about the boat pics on a thread that has nothing to do with cracked hulls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: