Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

casper slides?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gvw686
Addict
Addict

City: Columbus

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: casper slides? Reply with quote

hey im not very into skateboarding but i know enough to know casper slides look sweet. can someone explain how to do it on a skateboard. i want to try and do one on a low box or something on the wakeskate but am not sure how it is done. also whats an anti casper? is that just something in tony hawk pro skater game and not really something people do?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gvw686, I'm not into skateboarding that much but go from time to time with friends that do...

I've been trying casper slides lately and it seems pretty tough to get my feet on the board properly. (I may hack this terminology up but..) I try and ollie up to whatever it is and half-flip the board but kind of keep my feet around the board instead of letting it spin like a kickflip... Then the hard part, trying to catch it in the right position and slide. Not sure what the best way to get out of it would be either on a wakeskate.

I'm sure Jester will be here soon to help us out! Very Happy
gvw686
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well how would you get out of it on a skateboard? thats probably how i would do it on a wakeskate. or is there different ways to get out of it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

City: Baylor

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically spin a frontside 180 out of a casper slide

An eye for an eye will make the world blind.
-Gandhi

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
-Che Guevera
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Australia, W.A

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEah half 180 flips out of casper are the easiest way believe it or not. TO do them when your in casper suck your feet up and at the same time bring your feet together if you get me. Not trying to sound like a dick here but i think caspers are a bit behond you or anyone for that matter because its so hard to do them balance even standing still so going at 22mph or what ever would be way harder. But if you can do them sweet. IM actually hoping your prove me wrong because it would be so cool to see.
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Australia

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorta starting to try them on a skateboard, but where do you put your back foot? It keeps sliding off when I have it on the tail, so do I put my foot somewhere else?
gvw686
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do you use your back foot and the truck to make the board spin the 180 or do you use your foot thats under the board? if you need to use the truck to do this trick good im fine with breaking out the drill. Laughing
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, the elusive casperslide. Well lemme tell you first of all it's a mother trying to half flip & balance this trick properly. Like all things though, it's a matter of practice.

There's a few different ways to get outta casper position. One is to just flick your front foot a little & half flip it back. The most common method is the half varial kickflip. It's pretty easy, but it takes practice. Basically you just scoop a little bit with your back foot & lift your front foot a little bit (no need to flick the front foot, most of the board flipping comes from your back foot). Try to do it stationary to figure out the mechanics of it. The other variation I've seen (by Rodney Mullen of course) is to 360 flip out. Sorry, I have no tips 'cuz I'm nowhere NEAR busting this trick.

Anti-casper is a legit trick, I've just never heard it called that. Lotsa the tricks in Tony Hawk are made up or erroneously named (like the infamous truckstand), I always called anti-casper a front foot casper. But Rodney's done 'em for years, in the first Bones Brigade video he does a Saran Wrap into it. If you've seen his video on Tony Hawk 3 he does a Saran Wrap to front foot casper to casper juggle on that little round platform in Venice. In Questionable he does a half impossible into one & slides it across a little parking block. That jerk, he's too good.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester wrote:
That jerk, he's too good.

Jester, my thoughts exactly

You know how you can watch a wakeboard video and get all pumped up before you go out and makes you want to ride. When I watch mullen it has the opposite effect and makes me say "screw this! I'm never gonna land any of that anyway!" Laughing

And yeah, half flip to casper is damn hard. I can half flip no problem, but I can't get my back foot on the board properly ever! Practice, practice, practice... Mad
gvw686
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i can balance it fine on a skateboard and a wakeskate. on the skateboard i cant land on the board when i flip it out, but i also suck real real bad at skateboarding. when i do it on the wakeskate (on flat ground) the balancing is easier and to get out of it, the board does a half flip and i do a 180.
to get into a casper is the part i cant really practice though. theres no way in hell i could do it on a skateboard. again i suck at skateboarding. and the wakeskate i cant flip while on the ground.
Jester, whats all that stuff your saying he does? im just a dumb wakeskater i dont know the fancy talk
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sorta do the cheat way of getting into casper where you just sort of roll the board over then lift your front foot thats easy. BUt the half flip just takes so much practice.
A Truck stand is where you stand on your truck and the board is perpendicular to the ground and your front foot is like in the same spot as it would be for casper.

Saran Wrap is like the same thing except hold onto the nose with one of your hands and you sort of wrap your foot around the board if that made sense and when your leg cant go any more around because your arms in the way change arms and continue that.

ANd a casper juggle is going from casper to casper to casper and so on and so forth.

All that probably made no sense. But keep practicing the varial flips out of casper because once you do them they are so easy after that.

Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres some links i dug up
This one is a casper juggle but i think its smaller then the one he does in THPS3- http://home.no.net/sboard02/rodneym4.mpg

And this would be a saran wrap- http://bobstricktips.com/tricktips/5050wrap.shtml

I cant find any thing for truck stand though but if you can imagine the saran wrap with out the wrap arouns etc. that woukd be it.

Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple variations for the no-handed 50/50 on Bob's Trick Tips. If you look for truckstand you won't find it 'cuz that's not proper terminology. I think there's a half fingerflip into it plus the standard slide up from nosestop position.

gvw, VIP pretty much nailed most of the casper stuff for me. The way you get out of it is fine, I've seen that variation too. If you watch the link on the casper juggle that VIP posted you'll see how Rodney gets out of it. That's the most common way (except most people aren't good enuff to do casper to casper).

Last edited by Jester on Oct 30, 2003 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
gvw686
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya thats sweet, does rodney or anyone do them for a long slide ever? and does anyone do a higher flip into it? or is that one of them rollover flip things you were talking about?

well once i get a real low box made for the water ill try it out, and ill definatley have to do video becuase the crashes will probably be sweet. thanks 4 the help guys
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Rodney does casperslides all the time. If you watch any of his videos from the Tony Hawk games (starting with #2 since he wasn't in the 1st one) I guarantee you'll see one. The one in the link is the rollover, which is the easiest way to get in, but I've seen him do half flips, 1 1/2 flips, frontside flips, impossibles, & even varial heelflips into casper.

This link is the entire video part from Tony Hawk 3. Got the casperslide & much MUCH more. It takes a while to load, but I guarantee your jaw will drop.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/mullen.php

If you just wanna see him bust some casperslide variations this one's a little easier.

http://www.geocities.com/turner5953/Skate_Life.html

Good luck!
gvw686
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my god i dont even deserve to touch a skateboard after that.
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah any movie with rodney in it is usually going to be very good. I wouldnt worry about not being able to do that, IMO he shows every skater how its done and remember hes been pro for like 25 years right?
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how old is he? and whend he turn pro? i hope i can keep riding for 25 more years
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's 36 or 37 I think. He turned pro in 1980.
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah he was 10 when he took it up turned pro at 13.
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Nanaimo

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is: Don't do oldschool crap. I don't mean this offensivly or anything, because I'm sure there are some decent oldschool/freestyle skaters out there, but 95% of the ones I've ever seen can't even skateboard so they just do easy oldschool crap to make themselves look good. Skateboarding isn't really about any of that anymore. It's completely up to you how you skate, but don't skate like that for the wrong reasons.
gvw686
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s-s213, a casper slide is gay? im not into skateboarding at all really but it seems fairly sweet. if a casper slide is gay whats some of the new cool tricks?
gvw686
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also you said dont do the trick for the wrong reasons, wouldnt not doing it becuase you said its oldschool be the wrong reason not to do it?
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casper Slides... easy...? WTF? Have you ever tried them. the flip is hard enough letalone the slide. Yeah casper is old school, but then again so is an ollie. DOes that mean we shouldnt do them?
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do caspers and railslides just because I'm sick of seeing kickflips all the time. It's all anyone does at my park.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By railslides do you mean Primos or boardslides?
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means primos. wakeboarder_dude22, your version of a railslide is actually called primo, Primo is when you slide and rail is when your not going any where.
Addict
Addict

City: Vancouver, Washington

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you primo slide on a rail?? I thought that this was only done on the ground
THEN we get the chicks!
-Coop Cooper

www.numbskullpro.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inggy, I think you're getting confused by all the talk about rails. When the board is tipped over on its side in Primo position but isn't moving, that's called rail. If you stand in that position & slide along the ground that's called Primo. I've never seen anybody do this on a rail either & I wouldn't wanna try.
wakeboarder_dude22
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I meant railstalls. I'm still working on primos. I think I have seen someone do a primo on a rail. It was really thin and he had the rail in between the deck and trucks. This was ages ago, so I'm not that sure, but I'm guessing it can be done.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm gonna hafta see that on video before I believe it, it's just such a hard move. First of all, there's not that many guys with good enuff control of their kickflips & heelflips that they can stop on the rail like that, but then to lock it in perfectly on a handrail adds an entire new level of difficulty. Plus how do you get out? The only way I can think of is to ride off the end, but then you hafta flip it back AFTER the back trucks have disengaged.

I'm not making a personal attack on you or anything, I just can't believe that's possible until I see it done.
wakeboarder_dude22
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about any attack, like I said, this was a few years ago so I can't remember. I don't think it was a high handrail, only a real low one just off the ground.
Then again, I probably just imagined it or something. Oh well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: