Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Moomba Outback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Moomba Outback Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm not as wealthy as some, but I want my own boat. I see ads for the moomba outback, new at around 25 K with a tower. Does the outback throw any wake at all? I mean, why is it so much less expensive than other boats? Anyone have any experience with Moomba outbacks?

I want my own boat, but I can't spend more than 25k or so.

moblsv
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: It had better have a good wake Reply with quote

because I just bought the mobius lsv. From the research I've done I've found that the outback is virtually identical to the mobius except for the tower. Waterskimag.com, forums and other resources I found were all positive obout the boats wake. I would suggest going to the mobius lsv and adding the three bag ballast system and the wakeplate. This will put you a little over $25k but what good is the boat without the tower?

I was 38k out the door but I added the 3 bag ballast, wakeplate, tandem axle trailer, heater, a custom cover, perfect pass, 320 hp efi engine and a bunch of other stuff you could possible get away without.
moblsv
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

Sorry about the oversite on the other post, I skipped right past the direct drive boats while looking and didn't even notice that the outback had a tower. I would check out what options you have for a wakeplate and ballast system because I'm sure you will eventually want them
noneya
Addict
Addict

City: Roxboro, NC

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a 2001 Outback and I really like it. Of course the wake isnt like a Super Air. But for a beg/int rider such as myself it is plenty big enough. We put 4 phat sacs (2 beside the engine, 1 in back, 1 in front). We were looking at used boats in the same price range, but liked the fact that we got a new boat with a warranty for the same price, the interiior was also roomier than the used boats we were looking at. We put 125 hours on it last year and no probs. Oh yeah we use an extended pylon instead of a tower (maybe next year we can get one). The new Outback LS has the same hull as the Mobius (I think) so the wake should be a lot better than mine.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I think I'll investigate the base level mobius. It looks like it is basically an outback with a tower and one sack standard. I really need to keep it at or below 27K. Say, how much draft does the outback require? Our bay can get a little shallow in late august. Everyone else has an I/o, so they can raise the prop.
noneya
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten mine in about a 18" by the depth gauge and didnt hit anything.
George
Addict
Addict

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we got our Mob V in 18" of water and didn't hit anything. I/O's can raise there props but then they cant move.

www.soddyriders.tripod.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bjallen1976

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on spending 27 k I would look for a used boat. Very Happy IMHO You can get a MUCH better boat for that kind of money. I owned a 99' Moomba Mobius and was the happiest man alive when I sold it and it pulled out of my driveway. The Moomba V-drives are pretty nice but I would avoid the DD (outback/mobius) NO WAKE. We were practically submerged when we weighted the boat and the wake was still tiny. I got into a great used v-drive from Centurion (Air Warrior) for around 21k (2001 w/125 hours). I am MUCH happier with the quality of the boat. I loaded it up with everything(ballast[1900+lbs]auto fill, heater,shower, perfect pass, racks,etc) and I am still under 27k. Sure it's no SAN but it kicks the pants off a mobius/outback
noneya
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I stick with my opinion that of course its not the biggest wake out there but is plenty big enough to get you up in the air. I guess the key is to test drive the boat you are looking at w/ weight and see what you think about the wake. Also note that the Mobius changed hulls in 2000 or 2001 and the Outback LS has the same hull as the new Mobius. In mine I have noticed that the wake is small if the weight is not placed right, when we had too much in the trunk it washed it out some. It is true when loaded up you need to watch the nose cuz its close to the water and will swamp when picking up the rider if youre not careful.
Jon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the DD Mobius's hull has changed since '99. The wake is a lot better!!! We got a '01 used with 65 hours on it for $21k. The good deals are out there on used boats. You just have to be patient. The Outback's wake will be good for beginner/intermediate riders. You would probably want to upgrade if your level gets above that. We were actually thinking about the same option but then decided on a used Mobius. Just don't go lower than a '01 Model. There is one for sale almost exactly like mine at this site: http://www.dallasboats4sale.com/pages/moomba.html Its the very top one. The boat is probably worth about $25k or a little less.
I would definitely look into it if I were you. Good luck.
ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would look at a 2-3 year old used boat. you can usually find a pretty good deal and they depreciate a lot slower after the first 2 years anyway. only problem is they're a little harder to get a loan on and interest rates are a litle higher other than that used is the most boat for your money.
slaydit
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: San Diego... holla....

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah my bro-in-law has an 01 outback. its pretty nice. just like above...its not a natique...but its nice. i need to buy a few sacks and get the wake up.

-jey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: