Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

lead bricks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justincat
Criminal
Criminal

City: arkansas

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: lead bricks? Reply with quote

where is everybody getting lead bricks. Is it alot heavier than sand per/volume?
wake2wake
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Lexington

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lead is about as heavy as your going to get , 2-4 times heavier then sand!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
justincat
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool who do you get lead bricks without paying a million dollars for shipping?
Ryan_m
Addict
Addict

City: glen ellyn

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justin, alot of people go to tire shops and ask them for tire wieghts. Most places will give them to you for free, it is just a way of getting rid of them. Then you can melt them yourself and make the bar, or you can take and just put them in gallon containers or so, and use them that way.
Bluesman
Criminal
Criminal

City: Petaluma, California

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lead is poison to humans. Don't touch it with your bare hands. Glove up!!

If you melt lead, some lead vapor will escape. That vapor is poison. Be sure to melt the lead in a well ventilated place (outdoors). Lead melts somewhere in the 700 degree range, depending upon its purity. Don't melt lead on your kitchen stove. You will contaminate your cooking area.

Beware of moisture. One drop of water in a vat of molten lead will dispurse the lead in all directions, causing severe burns to anybody in its path.

Finally, if your boat starts to sink, lead will take it straight to the bottom. Water balast has neutral bouyancy and won'd drive down your boat. I recommend against using lead in a boat.
skobi1
Addict
Addict

City: eugene, or

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my lead at a local boat mfg. They use it to form drift boat anchors. I'm with bluesman about the boat sinking though, dont use lead for the majority of your weight. I supplemented 1500 lbs of water with 400 lbs of lead in the bow to keep the bow down. I like to use the bow for seating as well and didnt want to clutter it up with sacks.
justincat
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice. I have lots of water ballast but i was going to put lead in places i couldnt fit sacks, for some extra weight. Ill probly just stuff sand in those places, and use water for the majority of the weight.
skobi1
Addict
Addict

City: eugene, or

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do get sand make sure you put it in something water tight. We used sand in my buddys boat. It worked great but eventually it got wet and was very hard to move and it seemed to work its way everywhere.
bmartin
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done this, but has anybody used dumb-bells or weights from a weight set? Iron is not quite as heavy as lead, but a whole lot heavier/volume than sand. Seems like you can easily store those under seats and a 50lb weight is less than $20 and is pretty easy to handle. As others have mentioned, it would not be wise to put more than a couple hundred pounds of sand, iron, lead or some other non water / non-human ballast in your boat unless you want to build a man made reef on the bottom of your lake some day.
BigTimer
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Rockford, MI

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you sink your boat often? I've never seen anyone sink there boat. If your boat sinks, yeah lead might sink a little faster, but either way you are screwed. Go for the lead.
Breezer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lead is dangerous if you take on a lot of water. Look at it this way. Imagine that your boat took on enough water to be ankle deep standing in the boat. Fat sacs will not push your boat down after the water gets up to it's level, but lead will keep pushing the boat down untill it reaches the bottom of the lake. Of course if you take on enough water to get to the level of your fat sacs, you will be a bit screwed anyways.
bmartin
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a boat made after 1976(?) it will float if it fills with water, even if it completely fills with water.....unless of course you have 1500 lbs of lead in it, then it's heading for the bottom of the lake and then you are completely screwed. The lead will make a bad situation worse and nope never been on a sinking boat...unless you count a canoe/kayak filled with water as a "sunk" boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: