Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Satellite Radio-Pros/Cons?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Satellite Radio worth the equipment costs and monthly fees?
Yes, it is great!
37%
 37%  [ 10 ]
No, it is a waste of money!
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
I have no idea!
40%
 40%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 27

Shawn Madison
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Norris, TN

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Satellite Radio-Pros/Cons? Reply with quote

Question I am looking into adding this to my boat. What are some of the pros and cons of having this system. I know I will not be able to use my remotes to change the stations. Also, do you have to pay during the winter months? I mean, do you have to sign a 12-month contract or anything like it? Where did some of you mount your antenna's? Pics would be cool too!
Turk

*While I am at it, why don't I add a poll to see if Satellite Radio is worth the cost!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Adam Greer
Addict
Addict

City: Camden, SC (clemson, SC during school)

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been woundering this as well. I haven't been able to decide yet either. You can listen to some of the stations at xmradio.com and i can't tell wether i would like it or not. The main reason i would get it is so i can listen to punk and underground stuff that i can't hear on the regular radio, but when i listened i didn't hear that much. But i guess like a radio station you don't always hear stuff you like right when you turn it on.
Anything worth doing is worth getting hurt for....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
garveyj
Addict
Addict

City: Savage, MN

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were looking at radios, we toyed with this idea for about 2 minutes, and then realized that you have to pay for the months that you use it, which is like $10 a month. This would be a good value if you lived in your boat, but since we didn't, we could not justify the cost for it. We decided to go with an MP3 deck, so that we could listen to the regular radio(which is very rare) and then make a huge CD of hours of MP3's. If I were you and you download MP3's, like many people do, I would buy one of those decks...The benefits outweigh themselves.[/quote]
Adam Greer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i been listening to the stations for a little while now and i haven't been impressed. Definitely with garvey on this i think. You can buy and mp3 recivier for probably the combined cost of xm or siruis. I think I would get more use out of the mp3 player then satilite radio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bo Coppinger
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Chattanooga, TN

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several friends that have XM, they love it. It is all CD quality music, and there are like 70 stations that have zero commerials. I think the channels on the web site are a loop, not the actual stuff being played at that time. They have alot of different stations to choose from. I will be adding it to my boat this summer. You can purchase an mp3 player with built in XM reciever. They also have a model that you buy a cradle for so you can use it in your truck, boat, or house. Hope this helps.
Mike Isler

City: New York

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have XM Radio in my truck. I spend a lot of time driving...recently drove from Orlando to Los Angeles by myself, and also drove from LA up to Vancouver, Canada over Christmas break. XM rocks...I love it. I wouldn't give it up for anything. With the amount of channels you have available, it can't be beat...I know it sounds like I work for them or something, but I truly like it that much. I had service in the middle of the desert in the southwest US while driving cross-country, where I had no cell phone service or local radio stations. In fact, I don't even really listen to local radio anymore, nor do I keep many CDs in my car. Sound quality is great, no commercials is nice too. Just like having a never ending CD mix in your car.
Adam Greer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, did it take you a while to get used to it, or is it like once you listen to it for a couple hours you hear a lot of songs that you know and like. Im sure the stuff on the website is just a sample....just woundering.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't read the other posts but my opinion on the sat. radio is if u have stations that play the music you like nearby, stick with regular. but say you're in NW north dakota and there aren't any stations within 600 miles, satallite would probably good. also consider how much you use it. i mean if u listen to cds all the time, it probly won't be worth it.
Jeff
Addict
Addict

City: Long Island

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have an xm reciver that is portable and you hook it into a stero (or boat radio), that might be a good option to go with so u dont just pay $10 and use it in your boat
Shawn Madison
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Norris, TN

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
I can see where it would be a good fit for you since you travel often. However, I enjoy making my own cds and customizing my riding mix. I have you noticed any kind of patterns where they will play the same songs in order and anything like that? Do you listen to any of the news or sports stations?
TURK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mike Isler

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turk,

I usually listen to only one or two stations...alternative and hard rock stations. However on a long drive or if I'm bored, I'll listen to MSNBC news, ESPN Sports, or one of the comedy channels. Great uncensored comedy stuff on there.

I haven't noticed any repetition in the music. It's not like they made a big winamp playlist and hit play...it stays fresh, probably more so than normal radio stations.

Adam,

I talked to a few people that had it, and listened to it every once awhile with them...then I just went ahead and bought it. I don't mind paying $0.30 a day for decent music, and like 100 channels of it. Don't regret getting it for a second.
Adam Greer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks Mike. I may just have to get it after i get some cash. I saw it was on sale pretty cheap the last time i checked. Plus they have the new thing where you can cary it every where. I guess if you think about it, it would be like sacrificing a 11.99 cd every month for the subscription.
Mythodikal
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Beaumont, TX

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should go ahead and get that hooked up in m truck since i got a reciever for it already if its tyte
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mike Isler

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I should get commission for this! Yeah, look at it like buying less than one CD per month...(plus the original purchase price). Pretty cheap!
Bo Coppinger
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Chattanooga, TN

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth the money for the setup, if you plan on listening to it when your not out in the boat, I would recommend the receiver that has a cradle it allows you to have it everywhere you have another cradle hooked up.
row_01

City: Rochester, NY

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can justify it's cost easily. $10/month is the same as a new CD each month. And my CDs consistently get stolen anyway every time I gather more than ten or so CD's. Why not get something that stays around for a while? I've had it in my truck for about 6 months and I love it. Never ending selection.
Cyclonecj
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am listening to XM right now, I love it. I bought the Sony unit that you can move to your house/car/boat as long as you buy the accessories to do it, they are a bit pricey. I can't get a decent radio station on the lake, and my CD changer and player skip terribly. XM is great, there are 100 stations, most have no commercials. They play awesome music, and I am somewhat picky because I have over 2000 albums (vinyl) and at least that many CD's. They are playing Cat's Squirrel by Cream right now on the Deep Rock Channel, when is the last time (if ever) you heard that on the radio? They also have a "classic alternative" channel! I like hearing stuff I have never heard or haven't heard in a long time, but they also have top 40 and classic rock stations. They play requests, you can call or email them with requests and tell them when you listen and they will actually play your songs when you want to hear them. I record old BBC rock concerts to CD, the quality is better than MP3, I can't tell it from CD. I can hear the compression loss from MP3's, most people can if you point it out.
The Sony is nice because you only pay one monthly fee, and you can use it everywhere. I bought it for 150$ with the cassette adapter. It has a 1/8" stereo line out, so I have been moving the cradle from the house to the car. I just found the new Home kit, it comes with a better remote that allows you to directly select channels. It has a better terrestrial antenna also. It was 84$ on ebay, list is 149$ and it is a remote, a wall wart PS, an antenna, and a plastic holder. As far as XM, I have no complaints other than that the comedy stations get repetitive if you listen for a couple of days in a row. The things that kind of suck about the Sony are expensive accessories, the display sucks, period, and there are only five presets. The new remote should help. You also have to find space to mount it. All in all, I dig it, can't wait to try it in the boat!

Cyclonecj
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that XM is month to month. I think Sirius requires a commitment and they are more expensive each month. Of the two, XM is in better shape financially. If they go belly up, you are stuck with useless hardware!
wakeborder5
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Commerce

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there cussing on every station?
Cyclonecj
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there isn't. They make it pretty clear which channels have that kind of stuff, the hardcore rap channel, the adult humor channel, those are the only ones I've heard cussing on. I'm sure there's a couple more. You can block stations if you want.
BTW, the new remote has more buttons but you can't directly select a channel with the old Sony radio Sad The new one is about the same price I paid, and all the other accessories work with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: