Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Towers : Good and Bad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What kind of tower is on your boat?
Boss
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Atlantic
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Wake Design
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Skylon
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Joystick
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Zero Felx
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Homemade
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Other
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 27

O'brienGotWake

City: Michigan, Warren

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Towers : Good and Bad Reply with quote

What is a good tower to invest in, it will get a lot of use something strong and that looks good on a prostar 205. If you could let me know what your experiences were that would be great. ( Lookin at Wake Designs Rat Cage, the old Atlantic Tower, Boss Billet Tower, or a MC Zero Flex)

Ride Hard
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a boss tower. its probably the most expensive tower out there, but its definetly worth it. if you have the money i suggest you get the boss.
wakehype
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Fresno

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a skylon swoop tower... It works perfectly on my boat, I like it... I store my boat at dearrles so I needed a collapsable tower that supported speakers/lights/racks/etc
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably put a Zeroflex on it, beacuse I think its the tower that MC uses stock. Gota keep it original.....or Boss just beacuse I have herd allot of good things about them.
Mullet Man
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: SoCal

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Phat tower on my last boat and it SUCKED! That was the biggest mistake I could have made. All over the place!

Great Redneck Philosopher - Joe Dirt
BoardC3
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Ithaca, NY

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what difference to towers make. I mean i know that its better to have a higher point to attach the rope to but whats the difference between a $500 one and a $2500 one.
Jay Dutton
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Park City, UT

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some guy to build me one for $900installed including lights- see profile. It's stiff w/no rattles or squeekes. Serves my old 87 Dixie skier good. I certaintly wouldn't put it on a new boat. If I had the cash for a new boat, I'd splurge for a sweet manufactured tower.

I'd stick w/something that looked stock on your boat rather than a homemade job.
Mullet Man
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: SoCal

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a huge difference from tower to tower. Fit on the boat is important, but do not get one just for the looks. If the tower moves alot it will wear on the gelcoat of your boat and sometimes cause cracks. You can also feal a flexible tower when you ride. I would stick to the bigger builders. Try going to a boat show, where you will see many different kinds. Go up to the side of the boat and grab hold of the tower and pull. You will be able to tell a big difference from tower to tower!

Great Redneck Philosopher - Joe Dirt
Bluesman
Criminal
Criminal

City: Petaluma, California

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Wake Designs "Wake Cage" tower on our 1982 SN.

Fit, Quality and Performance are just fine. Not one complaint in that area.

The tower folds to below windshield height, so the boat still fits into our garage. One person can do it, with a little practice. It's better to have three people the first few times.

The only downside is the effort required to raise & lower the tower. About 8 allen-bolts have to be removed, to lower it. The two front arms come down across the bow. The trick is that I have to set a rag at the base of the windsheild so the front arm on the port side won't touch the windshield glass. The port arm is always the first one down, and the starboard is the first one up.

The rest of the assembly rocks back so it rests on the motor box.

The first few times were tricky & frustrating. Now that I've learned the drill it's just one more time consuming task to do, particularly when we return home after dark and everybody's tired & sunburned.
laser145
Criminal
Criminal

City: Oxford Ms, Sardis Lake

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay
Thats a nice looking homemade tower. Did you just go to a welder to have it done? or was it someone who knew about towers?

Jay Dutton
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Park City, UT

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a local reputable welder in Swansboro, NC and had it done. He had done a lot of T-Tops (things for fishing boats) for in the area for locals and dealers. The guy had never even seen or heard of a wakeboard tower, so I was the guina pig. I took him some magazines and gave him a general idea of what I wanted. He screwed up on the light bar, he mounted it on the back cross bar instead of the front, not really that big of a deal. He also had to go back and mount some more supports up by the windshield because it was flexing too much (more of a boat/fiberglass issue). It's now rock solid. The overall construction is top notch and I'm pleased with it. I only wish it had more of a swoop to it. I really didn't see spending 2-3K on a 6K boat.
fried sushi711

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go with the zeroflex chose you will still have your warrantee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: