Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Acceptability of females boarding in today’s multi cultural

View previous topic :: View next topic  
go

City: Sarasota Florida

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Acceptability of females boarding in today’s multi cultural Reply with quote

Acceptability of females boarding in today’s multi cultural society!!!!

I am currently at Leeds University, England. I have a great interest in wakeboarding. I have recently undertaken the task of conducting a formal report, inclusive of full research thru varying medians to determine whether today's multi cultural society discriminates on the basis of gender, when promoting such sports as wakeboarding.

If you could shed any light on personal experiences so we can advocate the need to study ignorant blue prints of women suffering at the hands of male bias in today' s society.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Acceptability of females boarding in today’s multi cultu Reply with quote

go wrote:
so we can advocate the need to study ignorant blue prints of women suffering at the hands of male bias in today' s society.

so what is your hypothesis? why did you pick this topic? do you think women are discriminated against? i honestly dont think so. i live in northern california and i have NEVER heard of any instances where women were left at the dock because they are women.

i dont mean to be disrespecful, but why do you (women) keep declaring that things are bias? were you left at the dock? if so are you SURE that it was because you are a woman?

Lynsey
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nor*Cal

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you're going to get much research on this topic only because I don't think women are discriminated much in this sport. With the exception of the female pros not competing at all the events like the males. Women are discriminated against in other sports but def. not wakeboarding. Most guys I know would rather take a boat full of girls rather than have a total sausage fest. In fact Scotta would rather take girls out on a boat than his buddies Wink
koltman
Addict
Addict

City: Sydney/Orlando

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, no one likes a sausage fest.
As Buttacup said: the only real discrimination has been only three stops for the girls, and I think they should compete in all of them.
In fact in wakeboarding Girls get special treatment(which they should have), there are so few of them, in comparison to the dudes.
IMO Wakeboarding is one of the few sports where everyone is treated equal.

go

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly,

In response to personal gender, check the profile (Craig) - Male

go

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was only clarifying my personal gender. I don’t believe you were trying to incline that I’m a lady.
go

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response. Firstly, the subject – (Acceptability of females boarding in today’s multi cultural society!!!!) was derived from my love of the sport. Secondly as previously mentioned I am currently at Leeds University, studying business management, the module this project will be entered for is Gender studies, therefore I am determining whether there is a bias towards women. The response does not suggest there is a bias towards women. Although, it has to be noted within many Organizations and sports there is a blue print. For example, Women’s work – the house wife and Mans work – The office, (Mullins 1999).” – Personally I would love to be a house husband, although I would skip the shopping and hit the board.

Finally, I’m in favor of adopting an equal ops policy with regards to every sport.

Lynsey
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're going to base your answer on three people's opinions? I think you should try to cover all sports and not just wakeboarding.
Lizrd
Addict
Addict

City: Wonder Lake, IL

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a current graduate student I can only wish you the best of luck on this topic... I think you are going to need it!

My concerns are as follows:
Where do you expect to find reliable and valid research on the gender bias that exists in wakeboarding? You mention that you will use several "medians" (I think you mean 'mediums'). For any research paper I have written I have needed professional journals from the area of research. While there are gender-bias journals that are well respected, to my knowledge there are no such journals for wakeboarding. If you are using a source in research your instructor should have clear guidlines as to the types of sources that are acceptable.

With what method will you measure and report the bias? Feelings are terribly hard to research - they are varied and have extremely weak definitions. For example, what one women may find discrimanatory another may not. Your first step for this would be to define gender bias.

At what level of riding will the study examine gender-bias? My guess would be that gender bias changes through the sport's progression. For example, amature women may not experience the same bias (or lack thereof) as the pros. Likewise age may be a factor - what is the experience of a junior woman versus an adult. (However then you are throwing in the concept of age-bias and age discrimination.)

My advice to you is to narrow your project topic as well. You have thrown in the concept of multi-cultural society which is agreeably a "buzz word" among current reaseach, however then you are introducing a second variable. So... are you studying the multi-ethnic component or the gender-bias component? This distinction is crucial for your research to proceed unimpeded.

My closing advice would be to consult your professor for further guidelines and suggestions on the direction of your research. While gender-bias may or may not exist in wakeboarding you may have a long road ahead of you to find reliable sources to prove and support your thesis statement.
Zara
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the bias' that women in any "action sport" are far more insidious than anyone cares to say. Most of the people on here have posted that the only really unfair treatment of women is that they don't have an equal amount of tour stops as the men do. Well, unfortunatly that isn't the only inequality in wakeboarding.
Consider this, the prize money in womens events is drastically lower than in mens events. This means that more women rely on sponsors for financial support. On average, how many pro riders are on a company's roster each year? The most I've ever seen is 4, many teams don't even support a pro female and if they do they are rarely marketed as their team's no. 1 rider.
Beyond that, just pick up a copy of a wakeboarding magazine and look at how many companies use women in skimpy bikinis to market their products. The message this sends is that good looking girls sell products, athletes don't.
Right now its simply a numbers game, and women are getting the shorter end of the stick. I will say though that things are slowly changing for the better as those numbers increase and demand that the industry evolve to include women more.
Still though, you rarely see a woman with any serious clout inside the industry. I have faith though that with the positve contributions that all the girls getting into the sport now are making this will eventually change.
Furthermore, its not like these themes are limited to wakeboarding. i grew up surfing and skateboarding and i can vouch for the fact that its all the same.
I know many people will disagree with my comments, and i hope that this sparks a good discussion.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zara wrote:
the prize money in womens events is drastically lower than in mens events. This means that more women rely on sponsors for financial support.

For winnning first place at the Malibu Open, the men earned $5000 while the women earned $4000 (calling this a "drastic" difference is debatable). With only half a dozen wakeboarding events per year EVERY athlete must rely on sponsors for the bulk of their financial support.

Zara wrote:
On average, how many pro riders are on a company's roster each year? The most I've ever seen is 4, many teams don't even support a pro female and if they do they are rarely marketed as their team's no. 1 rider.

a quick glance through my alliance magazine and i see kent, loe, lutgert, and copeland in ads. the reason that they may not market the women as much as men because they dont have the same amount of exposure that the men have, and why would you market someone who gets little exposure?

Zara wrote:
Beyond that, just pick up a copy of a wakeboarding magazine and look at how many companies use women in skimpy bikinis to market their products. The message this sends is that good looking girls sell products, athletes don't.

skimpy bikini count: 3
1 malibu ad. it shows ricky and another girl's back. it exposes nothing, and she is wearing shorts.
1 monster tower ad. it shows some chick in a bikini standing behind a tower.
1 girl page. full page of a girl w/ a string bikini.
amount of pages in alliance magazine: 91!!!!!

91 pages and there are 3 pages with a girl wearing a bikini. the alliance magazine is the September issue w/ the yellowish cover.

Zara wrote:
Furthermore, its not like these themes are limited to wakeboarding. i grew up surfing and skateboarding and i can vouch for the fact that its all the same.

depending on how old you are, things could have radically changed since then. i dont mean this in any negative way, but women have come a long way in their fights for not only equality, but also in their athletic endeavors. i wouldnt compare then to now because things have changed.

Lindsay
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: NYC

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go easy on the exclamation points in a formal paper. Wink

Personally, I've never experienced gender-bias when wakeboarding. In fact, I recently moved to a new place and needed to find new people to ride with and IMO having boobs probably helped my situation. For example, many times the first set (and best water) were deferred to me simply because I was a girl.

One example of gender-bias in action/extreme sports is television coverage. How often do you see a woman profiled on "54321"? What % of X games events/coverage is devoted to women (who are actually competing....not just there looking hot or holding their boyfriend's baby while he goes out to kill himself)?
leslisa
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: East Coast

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. Everytime that I talk to a guy about wakeboarding, they are like "That is so cool that you wakeboard". I do take a little heat because I choose to progress a little slower than most guys (that's cause I'm old though and don't want to break anything), but I think they would give their buddies the same flack. Colorful

Do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don't pick your nose.
Leggester
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from the tone and statements of your original post. You are already assuming there is. Now back it up.

As was stated, what papers or studies are you going to use to back this supposition up?

Professional promotions? Maybe.

Winner's purses? Maybe.

Personally, we haven't "discriminated" against gals since the seventies. If someone wanted to come out on the boat and play, great! We were all for it.

Tigerblp
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Winter Park (Orlando)

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some evidence to back up your discrimination theory, I can analyze nationals forever! The pro women were not offered a double up in finals, nor were they allowed to hit the truck gap. On the other hand, Pro Men received both, Jr. Men received both, and even the BOYS division was given a double up (when they weren't even expecting one!). The Jr Women's division was also not offered a double up, nor was the girls. Now granted I know 90% of the Women wouldn't have tried to hit the truck gap anyways (they could barely hit the regular sliders), but I think the option should still be open. I know they all would have taken up an offer on the double up, I've seen them all hit it before.

On the other hand, the industry reps have noticed a declining number of women entering the sport of wakeboarding. At nationals, I knew of 2 board companies that would have signed any woman on the spot. You all see how few pro women there are, and the ones following up are in fewer numbers than the years past. This year, the Jr. Women's division was the smallest it's been in a long time. So with respect to getting sponsors, I think women have an easier time.

Balance 360
CollegeWakeboard.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Leggester

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else find this highly amusing?

I mean, the ladies asked/required their own "Lounge" and now they are asked about discriminatory practices?

Oh, the irony! Mr. Green

Lynsey
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't a lady wakeboarder that posted this in the first place....he wanted opinions and answers and he got them. Not it's turned into almost a NOW forum Sad I'm for equality in all areas but definitley can't stand bashing of the opposite sex or someone who is too much of a feminist....that's just my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: