Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Help getting up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prestige
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Kelowna

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Help getting up Reply with quote

Hi, my friend's girlfriend is trying to get up and she keeps getting discouraged.

Most people I know (male, female, young or old) get up within 2-6 tries and then can always get up. She was up on her first try but dropped the line out of fear (or surprise?) and now she can't get up.

Any tips or encouragement?

We have a great wakeboarding boat. I try to start the pull slow and speed up once I see she is holding on well.

Myself, I find a strong steady pull is easier because you spend less time fighting the water. She can't seem to hold on though.

She is determined though and hopes to get up this weekend.

So, for the girls who felt they had weak arms or were intimidated by the pull - what helped you get up?
wake_chik_14

City: cali

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, its always hard at first. eventually she will get the hang of it. my first day out i had a lot of trouble getting up because i felt that the pull was to strong and i would just let go of the grip. it would hurt my arms everytime i tried to get up. if that is the case with your friend tell her to try not to pull herself up and to let the boat do the work. once i stopped fighting the pull i could get up. i found it easy to get up at 20mph. when the boat was going slower it didnt have enough force and it would just drag me. the board also had a lot to do with it! i rode a heavy board the first day and found it hard to stay up or even get up. i switched boards the next day and it was much easier. so a lighter board might help. hopefully this will be of some help to you and your friend! good luck!
prestige
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! She's using a LF Trip 135.
leslisa
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: East Coast

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, she should try to relax.

Here are a couple of things I did to learn. I shortened the rope so that the pole pulled me up better. After I learned to get up, then I let the rope out again. I put my weight on my back foot and it caused the board to naturally pivot on it's own. I kept my butt on my heals and my head up, looking right over the board. Arms straight. Also, I found that at the beginning I got up much better off one side of the boat as opposed to the back. Maybe that would help her too (for me it is the left side looking at the back of the boat since I dominantly ride left foot forward). Hope something here can help. Shortening the rope really helps, it's the only way my daughter can get up. Colorful

Do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don't pick your nose.
Jody Jared
Criminal
Criminal

City: Round Lake, IL

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the "Detention" video before I went out for the first time. I actually watched the part about getting up around 20 times. The main thing was to relax and let the boat pull you up. I got up the first time! Shel will get it. It took my husband almost a month to get up and out of the water.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
prestige
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. It's really a great feeling when someone gets up when they didn't think they could do it. You know they can and will, but they don't like all of the attention focused on them (when everyone else can get up). But we are patient and willing to let everyone get up.

Even my nephews (8 and 9) can get up using my brother's Belmont 140. I'm just afraid that they will be showing us up in no time. Smile
Lizrd
Addict
Addict

City: Wonder Lake, IL

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my $.02 Along with what the others have said have her hold the handle with much of it on the palm of her hand. Look at where your callouses are - that is where the strength has to come from. My brother, who is not a wimp, had trouble until he realized that you have to hold not with your fingers but with your palm. Also, I have seen where you hold on the handle make a difference. If your hands are too close together you have less strength (it seems) than if you hold nearer the outter corners of the triangle.

One last idea- Have her get in the water with the board on, vest on etc. have her hold the handle and you hold the line about six feet from the handle. Have her just crouch in the water curled up to start with her board's edge on the swim deck - just like she would be 65 feet out. You pull on the rope, have her hold on with loose elbows and give her the pulling up feeling. You are close enough to coach her and without the boat moving she may have more confidence. You should be easily able to pull the rope so that she rocks forward into a sideways crouch. If she can hold on while you pull her up then the boat's pull should be a similar feel. Nip bad habits in the bud like pulling against the rope and straightening the knees too soon.
wake or nothing

City: Canada, MB

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get up first try listen up. step 1 be relaxed and believe in yourself. step 2. keep your knees bent up all the way to your chest (get in a ball). step 3. keep your arms straight. never pull in!! step 4. hang on untill the board is riding flat on the water. step 5. stand a little with bent knees and keep your arms straight but down at about your hip. note to driver: dont wip them out of the water (the handle will pop) and dont go to slow (they cant hold on forever) step 6. edge around slowy to get used to the board. step 7. Rip it up out there.
leslisa
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: East Coast

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prestige,

How did she do?

Do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don't pick your nose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: