Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Putting a slider in a lake....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimo

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Putting a slider in a lake.... Reply with quote

I am a beginner wakeboarder, I ride a parks 143 that I just bought and a CWB 134 which was my older board. I have pretty much just started to learn to ride. I can do nose grabs,tail grabs, indies, and the easy grabs. I want to learn to ride a slider but I don't live on a lake. I was wondering if it's legal to build a slider and put it in a public lake where I like to ride alot. I've seen quite a few riders on the lake this past summer and I think they'd probably like a slider as well, but I'm not gonna build one for the lake just to find out it's illegal for liability issues or something. Any suggestions? thanks
kimo
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out the laws of your lake, alot of lakes dont let sliders/kickers on the lakes. Other people will hit them, maybe get hurt, law suits involved, and the slider could either be stolen, broken, or vandalized by someone. The best thing if you really want a slider would be one thats easily removable, and just put it in when you are riding, that may be alright, and take it out when you leave. I know some people on here have those kinds.
kingneptune

City: The Left Coast

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakegurl is right but....

Check this out.

Here in Cali we mostly don't live on the water either so you have to be a bit more hard core about using sliders. There ARE ways to go about having some hits to use though.

You can find some shallow points or shoreline that slowly drops off and pound some long metal barb-wire fence stakes in the ground while its early winter and the water is still low. Keep in mind that the water most definetly will rise due to run off so you have to have a feel for how your lake fluctuates.

After you have some evenly spaced stakes ( maybe 5 ft on center) go find some small dia pipe that will slide snugly over the stakes. Take this pipe (about 4 ft long) and drill holes every 6 inches so you can add pins to it later to adjust its height out of the water.

Then attach 3, 10 ft pieces of ABS or PVC pipe to the tops of the pre drilled pipe at a 90 degree angle. By doing this you should have 3 sections of PVC that have 1 metal pipe secured on each end and should slide over the stakes you pounded in the ground.

Finally to make this pipe dream a reality you need to cut 2 more pieces of PVC. These pieces should be about 2 ft long and have an OD that is the same size of the ID of your longer horizontal slider PVC. Take these 2 footers and use pipe glue to secure it about 1 ft inside the ends of 2 your horizontal slider pipes. Lastly you need to assemble this monster and drill a hole through the 2 pipes while they are slid together butting up to the other 10 ft section, and add 2 pins/bolts.

For final usage go out the stakes in the lake, attach your whole 30 ft slider together by using your 2 pins. Then drop it over the top off your stakes by sliding your metal (vertical) pipes onto the stakes. You will now have a functional slider that was CHEAP and has some adjustability for experience levels.

Tips: After assembly and usage simply pull your slider off the stakes and sink it in the water so it is hidden and unused by others. If you choose to dot his be sure to make a leash that connects the slider to the stakes so it doesn't drift away when not in use.

....You can thank me later. Ride to live... live to ride.

As a wise man named Bruce Lee once said..."Be formless, shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup it becomes the cup. If you put water into a tea pot it becomes the tea pot. Now water can crash or it can flow..... Be water my friend!"
Kimo

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright bro thanks, I dunno if I'm gonna do that or not lol, sounds pretty risky, what if they see you taking it out? Isn't that a hazard for boats that come near the steaks?
kingneptune

City: The Left Coast

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are driving that close to the shore.... The boat deserves to hit the stakes that are submerged. Like I said you need to know your lake and try to put it in the best location possible.
As a wise man named Bruce Lee once said..."Be formless, shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup it becomes the cup. If you put water into a tea pot it becomes the tea pot. Now water can crash or it can flow..... Be water my friend!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: