Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

public speaking project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt 4
Addict
Addict

City: columbia SC clemson SC

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: public speaking project Reply with quote

ok so here is the assignment, i have to talk for 5 min describing how to do something, so i figured i would describe how to wakeboard, i am gonna bring my helix and tripp in and explain how to put bindings and fins on but what else could i talk about for the other 3 min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could talk about how to stand up. that's something that most people would find to be interesting. if you can have someone volunteer from the audience, you can soap up their feet and put their feet in your bindings and have them sit on the ground. have them hold onto the rope handle, and showing them that the boat (aka you) does most of the work, pull them up. just tell them to be nice to your board (you might want to take the fins off so that they can just stand up right away without being tipsy).
Sean_Brinston
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Alliston Ontario

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabee talk about different pros, or like all the equipment needed, mabee the format of competitions. Good luck
matt 4
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might just go to the trick section of WB.com and print out some directions to do like 180's and simple things like that, and just discribe that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there ya go - that works. if u wanna suck up to your teacher... offer to bring 'em out on the baot one day... haha
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 minutes isn't that long. I think that if you are animated, relaxed, and have fun, you can burn most of that talking about what different kinds of fins do, and talk about front-lace, back-lace, and overlay bindings, and the plussed and minuses of each. Talk about why you wakeboard, what's fun about it, and the boat. Talk about how big the wake should be, what shape it should be, and why you need a boat that makes such a wake.
Dees
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Nampa

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the teachers hot and of the opposite sex, definaly talk them out on the boat.

I had this one teacher when I was in High school.........

dang she was hot

jt09 wrote:
ont - like your money, your opinion loses value as it crosses the border.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
matt 4
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this teacher is 60+ male, bum leg, and a freak show, the only thing is that i have to teach how to do something, i guess i could spend like 3 min talking about how much money it cost with boats and gear, gass, beer, beer,boats and yada yada yada, then this is how you get up.
Chukee_R
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Minneapolis / St. Paul, MN

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this exact same thing in highschool....first i introduced the sport and the equipment. Then I went into a video clip I made on the water of how to get up. It's quite hard to demonstrate to a group of people how to get up on a wakeboard sitting on carpet...atleast I thought so. But you could probably get a few minutes out of making a tape on how to get up on a wakeboard.

The funny part was when I was walking into school with my wakeboard people were asking me..."Don't your toes get cold with that snowboard?"
matt 4
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do yall know of any step by step on how to get up, like in laymens terms, something that a college class that has only 1 other wakeboarder would understand, Trying to teach something like that is one of those things that is easer to show than to tell.
pedro
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bangkok, Thailand

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few tips.

1) Talk about something you know
2) Do not try to memorise a speech totally. Write out your speech in full, then create some bullet points & then throw away the paper with the fill speech. If you concentrate too much on remembering which words come next, it won't flow right. Each time you give your speech, it may be a bit different & you can ad lib.
3) Keep your head up so it looks like you are looking at the crowd. This is a bit scary, so if you kind of look just above the crowd, they won't notice.

Good luck

criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: An ocean of vibrant sound

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made a video for Skwakes sport science class, basically featuring all the bullsh*t it takes to get out on the water (fueling up, broken parts on boat, everything went wrong that day!) plus some cool riding. That went down pretty well.

Also may I recommend doing what Shaun does on Detention, drawing the shape of a board on the chalkboard, and pointing which grabs are positoned where on the board, that should take a good 3 or 4 minutes.

ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt- i checked out your link and it's pretty cool and all but you might see if you cant get a nicer rack than that.
matt 4
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh its no rack i know of, my friend just sent me the link and told me how to do it, i know there could be a better rack than that but i just have to roll with what the net gives me, i just think it looks real, thats why i think is cool Very Happy
Lindsay
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: NYC

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, check out the back to basics article on ladyboarder.com

http://www.ladyboarder.com/Tricks/basics1.htm

I think it gives a good basic thorough description of how to get up on a wakeboard in laymans terms.
franknbeans
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Ft. Worth

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think telling people how to get up is kinda boring (no offense) if I were you, i'd tell them about the how's and why's of wakeboarding. why the board shape (pop, edge) why the tower (physics/lift) why the non-stretch rope, why the dock-destroying wakes behind at 50K boat, etc etc. that will actually let people know why this stuff is so badass.
Premier135Chick

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last semester, I had to direct and produce my own 5 minute tv show and 30 second commercial. My show was called "Don't Be That Guy". It was a top ten list of the things not to do and how to be a valuable third on the boat.

I did my commercial on Boarders-Paradise......

This semester, my project is going to be a video of my friend, wakeboarding. Hopefully it will get him a boat sponsor, him and I a boat and maybe me a job in the wakeboarding industry as a videographer, etc....
K-dub
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P:
And you used probably the worst riding I had last season for that B-P commercial....... Confused
Premier135Chick

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have much footage to work with. No worries, we will get a lot of good stuff this year.
BR_WB
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt:
I'm doing the exact same thing friday, I'm just going to talk about the board, what can be done on it, and I guess lifestyle aspects. Our speech professor is making it 5-7 minutes, but I'm sure I can easily ramble that long.
Later,
Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: