Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Coming to the USA

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I......
Ditch the job, come to America....
68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
Or stay in Oz, save for a boat....
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: An ocean of vibrant sound

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Coming to the USA Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am seriously considering taking off for a while, and America beckons....

I looked into going to the US a few years back, through CCUSA, and doing the summer camp councilor thing, but I didn't want to leave my girlfriend (Define: Irony). Now that I'm unattached, I was wondering if any of you guys knows anyone (particularly Aussies) who have done this, and what they thought about it. Is it a good way to see the US?

Also, what should I see/do while I'm there. I'm not talking about Disneyland, I mean where are the best places to travel around, see the sites, meet people. And where would I be able to get a tow?

I also want to cross the borders and see South America and Canada, but that may depend on $$.

So, should I ditch the job and fly to the US or maybe just stay here and save for a boat....

So many questions. Help me out!

Sean_Brinston
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Alliston Ontario

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If u come to Ontario Canada give me a email or ring i can hook you up with a pull and mabee a place for a day or two if you need it
christy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Raleigh, NC

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditch the job only if you will have something to go back to, or atleast some connections. just don't burn your bridges. you're going to want that boat some day.

while you are here, get a taste of the east and west coasts. both have a couple of states with the best of both worlds, mountains and ocean. you should probably try to visit the grand canyon and niagra falls as well.
Alan

City: Nor-Dal

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crimmy,

there's lots to do here... hmmm, where to start?? first of all, don't come now (it's winter here... not much wakeboarding going on) Wink for wakeboarding, you gotta see Lake Powell in Utah. it's also close to the grand canyon (which i think someone else mentioned). that whole part of the country is incredible...
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay in AUS. just take a vacation to the US this summer. it's cold now anyway.
Maestro
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Markham

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea man I'd say stay in Aus... Buy yourself a boat.. Start a savings account to fund your trip to the U.S. Then when you have enough take a vacation there.
K-dub
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay in Aus.......There's too many riders here already! Hahaha,j/k bro! Twisted Evil
JHrod
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay down there in kiwi land until u have saved up sum money then when it is winter there take a vacation here and get people to give u pulls all around the country

Last edited by JHrod on Jan 14, 2003 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, maybe I didn't put it clearly. I only ment a visit to the US, not a permanent thing. probably 3-4 months during your summer.

Sean - yeah i would love to see Canada. there are always heaps of canadians here in Aus, and they say the atmosphere is similar, pretty chilled out.

- thanks for all you opinions guys, keep 'em coming!

Maestro

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CM, does ROOTS mean anything to you? heheh
jens
Criminal
Criminal

City: orlando

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cm, i worked at a camp for a summer and at least half the counselors came through ccusa. i don’t know if they just got the worst of it or what but i would not have wanted to be them. first of all, you get paid *&%@!! second, if you are at an overnight camp which I think most of them are, you are only allowed to leave the camp about once every 2 weeks. third, when you do get that chance to leave the camp, it is really hard to find a way to get anywhere. summer camps are out in the middle of nowhere usually and there is no public transportation. so, if you don’t have a car you are going to spend all your free time trying to find someone to bum a ride off of. and, because you are in charge of kids you don’t exactly have a lot of free time to spend looking. Plus, no computer.
in conclusion, maybe my camp was just a bad one to go through but I would find out as much as possible before you come. And I think pretty much your only chance to wakeboard (unless they had it at the camp you worked at) would be if you traveled after camp was over or you happened to be very close to someone you knew who boarded.
maybe there is a different way you could come to the us, like an internship program or some stupid job, where you would have less commitment and more time to ride!?
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro..... Roots? unless you mean the sepultura song, i have no idea what your talking about man! could be 1,000,000 things.... I'm having a hard time thinking today, i have a headcold Confused

jens - Wow, that sucks. I would definetly be going to a camp which offered watersports, thats the whole idea. no water sports and they can forget it. the $$ doesn't worry me, i only need enough to stay a few months, just get by. Us aussies are pretty adept at sleeping on the ground!

jens
Criminal
Criminal

City: orlando

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not sure if you get to pick where you will end up though. the girls who came to my camp couldn't.
Maestro

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine went to Aus and he said it can be used in the following context:
"I had some good roots today" =
"I had a good $&%^ today"... not sure if he's right though...he tends to be quite a drunk...
JHrod
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jens ur right---i worked at a ymca overnight camp this summer---complete crap about leaving and stuff....only good thing was they had an air nauti
Pope
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay away from San Jose... go to San Francisco... don't come here to ride you guys have the weather now!

if you come to SF let me know, I'll show you a place or two. I met tons of you pissed aussies during my 2 months in Europe. There is almost more of you there than europeans!

didn't AZ used to be a place considered like hell or somethin that they would send criminals when they were banished !?

Skwake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Launceston, Australia

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil You will have to take a suitcase of deb if you go Twisted Evil
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro - Sounds like your friend had some fine aussie lovin' Razz

Yes, to have a root, means to make sweet love. I thought that might have been what you were talking about, but.... i dunno...... didn't want to jump to conclusions....

Skwake - YES! DEB! The finest product australia makes. I may have to have it shipped over Twisted Evil

What did you vote mate?

Skwake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Launceston, Australia

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt even see the poll bit at the top, i dunno what you should do man. but a mate from here at lonnie just got back from canada he was doing one of those school things and he said it was crap, didnt get to do anything just worked full on. Up to you man, we can save like 50 bucks and just sell ourselfs to the fine U.S. chicks, 45 cents an hour any ladies interested (thats aus currency too)
Cool
that should get us by.

criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, but I think your aiming a bit high at 45c.

We should be able to afford a SAN in about 70 years if we man-whore 18 hours a day.

criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, not a single person needs a man-whore Crying or Very sad I'll never be able to afford a nice boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: