Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Can't clear both wakes!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krdolly

City: Washington

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Can't clear both wakes! Reply with quote

Please help!

I've been boarding for 3 years.
And I've been trying all summer hard core to clear both wakes.

I board with a bunch of guys - and they're all way good.
Why can't I jump?

Any pointers, or basic skills.

I get close to the second wake - within a foot more or less.
I am cutting hard.

Help.
lowflyer
Criminal
Criminal

City: nm

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the guys your riding with could prob help you more than peeps who haven't seen you ride. my little bro was havin the same prob little while back. he was comin off his edge as he hit the wake, which then caused him to absorb the wake instead of bounce off of it. there's more posts bout this if you search it out. hold your edge the whole way through the wake, pop at the top, keep the handle at your hips. good luck!
Tigerblp
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Winter Park (Orlando)

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel ya! How come guys who ride for the first time can go out there and clear the wakes and yet it takes us girls months! It took me a year before I cleared both wakes. I would suggest to remember to keep your lean, hold your edge, and remember to resist off the top of the wake (care of the Harwood method). Remember to keep your legs stiff when you hit the wake. It helps me to think of doing a tantrum or something when I edge at the wake. Just the image of doing a loop in the air keeps my legs straight. Good luck, and like Lowflyer said, I'm sure the guys on your boat could help you a lot more.
Balance 360
CollegeWakeboard.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WakeDiva
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Knox, TN

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you are edging and getting your butt close to the water and then when you get the the top of the wake straighten out like you are coming out of a chair. Not hopping out of a chair but rising out of one. You have to edge all the way through the wake. It gets hard when you can't clear the wakes and you're landing on the very top of the second wake...just KEEP TRYING and don't give up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
silver girl
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: England

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wot this lot siad is right
but id suggest askin the guys u ride with

Lizrd
Addict
Addict

City: Wonder Lake, IL

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey- one other thing that helped me is to shorten the darn rope! I was riding out at 70 'cause the guys were too lazy to shorten it for me. Well, I read a great article in Wakeboarding magazine that suggested a shorter rope length. I popped that baby back to 55 feet and was right on the downside of the next wake. It was the greatest feeling. As I built confidence and started to land successfully "in the flats" (past the second wake) we started to set my line back out again in 5 foot increments. I am now at 65 feet and am almost ready to go for 70 feet again.

For our boat, the wake is clearly much shorter across at 55 feet than at 70 - I was subconciously scared to hit it hard. When I was riding at 55 feet I would look at the wake and think, "The stupid wake is only 5 feet across maximum... I KNOW I can get at least 5 feet across." Sure enough it happened. I will caution you that it is hard to get air at 55 feet because there simply isn't enough rope but it sure helped boost my confidence!

Also ditto what the other gals said - edge, hold the edge, drift into the wake and then stand tall. I found it I didn't take a moment to set up on the outside of the wake before drifting in I would cut fast and low which sucks for wipe-outs.

Best of luck--

Keep us posted.
wakeboarder_124

City: Angola, Indiana

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like most ppl already said just stay on edge and edge all the way up the wake until your popped off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wakeboarder_124

City: Angola, Indiana

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like most ppl already said just stay on edge and edge all the way up the wake until your popped off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
love2wake

City: san mateo, CA

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. I just can't clear it. I'm getting closer and closer every time out.
The guys in the boat are the ones giving me advice and everything they have said has helped a lot and pushed me closer and closer.

I think the one tid bit of advice that got me the closest was the kind words of one of the guys in the boat.
He said "LOU, I need to get you a set of big brass balls. I know you can do this so stop pussing out"
He was right. I was bailing when I got worried. Now I have to prove to him I've got a set.

Keep trying. I know I'm going to.
Sometimes you just have to go for it.
Louise
aka
LOU
JRock*Girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem until I went to RTS....cut out as far as you can, so you have more time cutting in. when you cut in dont bend your knees a ton. In the videos it looks like there bending down alot, there not! There leaning against the rope. Lean against the rope and cut in. Cut ALLL the way trough the wake. As much as you think it won't work, it will. When you hit the wake straighten your leg (i have the hardest problem with this) You only have to grow an inch to get good pop, so you realy dont have to crouch down. Stand up when you cut in and grow that extra inch right before you hit the wake so you pop. Work on it at home with the rope tied to a tree or something. It will make all the difference. CUT AL THE WAY THROUGH. If you videotape you can also see what you do wrong each time...very helpful.
jens
Criminal
Criminal

City: orlando

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you videotape you can also see what you do wrong each time...very helpful.

i agree. videotaping helps a lot. you can see what everyone else is talking about when they tell you what you are doing wrong and you can see how your edging differs from the other guys you ride with.
shanda
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Nampa

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video!!! I thought I was cutting, I thought I was holding the edge, I thought I was standing tall at the wake.... not until I watched the video last night and now I know what I need to do to make it work.
quit thinking and just ride hard!
Lynsey
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nor*Cal

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you bring the rope towards your hip and look at an object in the horizon when you're about to land. I'm working on breaking these bad habits myself so I can clear the wake consistantly!
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Make sure you bring the rope towards your hip and look at an object in the horizon when you're about to land.

Those are so hard for me to remember & force myself to do, especially when it's all I can do to keep myself from soaking up the wake when I get to it. I'm at the point where I'm so close I can taste it - I case the wake pretty regularly & that is such a harsh landing compared to that butter water that I can see just inches away, so tantalizingly close... Oh well, I'll get it soon enough, as will the rest of you.
kerriokie
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video helps tremendously!!! I thought I was doing all that stuff too, I thought I was pretty RAD...... now I think I'm Taco Bell Chalupa footing around out there. I was too embarrassed to even watch the end of the tape. Makes me want to hit it HARD this weekend!!!
prestige
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Kelowna

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with video is that it always make your jumps look smaller than they felt Wink

Make sure you check out the Beginner Trick tips on the Main page of this site.

http://www.wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?id=50
Skierroni

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you all say "cut thru the wake", I thought you were supposed to stand tall and straight against the wake when you got there after cutting hard from the outside. Maybe I'm doing it wrong and that's why I'm not getting much air?
Skierroni

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and how big of a wake do you need to have on your boat to get that kind of air to clear both wakes? I'm riding behind an I/O with only my husband in the boat and no extra weight. Does the wake need to be bigger than that?
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skierroni,
When you're first attempting to clear both wakes, the advice that I got was to not even try to stand tall at the wake, just lock up your legs & cut all the way through it. Once you get used to that & how it feels, you can start trying to stand tall.

Personally I think the term "stand tall" doesn't accurately describe it, because it implies that you would go from cutting/leaning/edging/creating tension on the rope to standing straight up which would totally defeat the pupose. You want to take the progressive edge in - start from the outside slowly drifting in toward the wake with legs slightly bent (not ass on the water-bent, just a little), & as you get closer edge harder & harder. You want to be on your hardest edge of the cut when you hit the wake, & once you do just straighten your legs. Forget about "standing tall", just think about straightening your legs because you want to keep all of that tension on the line that you just built with your cut.

FWIW, wake size has very little to do with it at this point (it does if you're tying to get huge air & pull inverts, though Very Happy ) - correct technique has everything to do with it. Wake width, however, may be something to look at. I second what people said earlier about shortening the line if you just can't get over.

My problem isn't necessarily with takeoff, it's when I'm in the air I feel completely out of control - this causes me to bail on a lot of landings that I know I could nail, plus I don't have a lot of confidence to go big because of the out of control feeling.
prestige
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Kelowna

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was learning, we put so much effort into what we thought was "progressive edge" which was really nothing more than starting out really far and cutting in hard to get as much speed as we could to make it across. We also tried to bunny hop or jump off the wake. But we were so wrong Crying or Very sad

You can practice by going only a few feet out from the wake. Resist the urge to cut in, but rather let the boat pull you in. Push on your heels and lean back a bit. As you approach the wake, keep the handle in close and keep the pressure on your heels. Try pushing your legs out hard as if you want to lock the knees just before you leave the wake. Pulling the handle down low after you clear the wake and look off to the horizon. With very little effort, you should be able to get some nice easy "pops". When they start to feel comfortable, start farther out. But don't "cut in hard".

When it's right, it feels so much easier than when you are forcing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: