Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Is skateboarding a good crosstraining for wakeboarding?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WakeBoardingManiac
Addict
Addict

City: Montréal

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Is skateboarding a good crosstraining for wakeboarding? Reply with quote

Allright... I live in Québec, and I wakeboard and snowboard... The problem I have is that in between the wakeboard and snowboard season, I've got nothing ending with "board" to do... I was wondering if skateboarding could improve my other 2 sports a lot or not? And I was wondering what kind of board I should get? I've got abou 200$(CAN) to put on it, not more... Or should I buy a crappy 30$ board at Canadian Tire and see if I like skateboarding? I think it's going to be interesting, but it probably will never be my favorite sport...

Also, where is the best place to inform myself about brands and stuff except the skateshop itself and skateboard.com (Like do you know of any forums or something?)

So my 3 questionjs were: 1. Is skateboard a good crosstraining?
2. What quality of board should I buy first?
3. Where can I get more info?

Thanks!

BTW, this post looks so formal because I sent it to someone as an e-mail... I modified it a bit for the forums so it doesnt look too crappy, but you get the point Razz

I wanted to have advice from other guys Razz thanks in advance!

RUSSIAN
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NOR*CAL

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skating is great, it may change your life. buy the best equipment you can, don't buy cheap stuff. It's alot harder then it looks Twisted Evil

K-dub wrote:
DRAGON88, everyone shall now call you Tinkerbu'....
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: An ocean of vibrant sound

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.

Also, it's a great way to practice riding switch.

Buy a longboard as well if you get the $$, something like a Sector 9 Cloud Nine, with a bit of a kick on the tail.

Zara
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there!!! Where abouts in Quebec d o you live? If you are anywhere near Laval, I'd reccomend making the trip to En Equilibre to buy your first complete. They will fix you up with what you need for a good price. Read through some of the older threads to get more specific recomendations from people if you want more info as to what to buy.
In terms of wakeboarding crossing over to skateboarding, I'd have to say skateboarding makes you a better wakeboarder, but not the other way around. Skateboarding is very different and it demands different things than wakeboarding does, its easier to transfer your skateboarding skills to a wakeboards than it is to transfer your wakeboarding skills to a skate. This is mainly because your balance, weight placement and edging will be different. I have to go but I'll post more about this later or maybe someone else will take over where I'm leaving off...
Zara
WakeBoardingManiac
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to En Equilibre once and I didnt like the place all that much... They followed me around like if I was a thief even thoe I was only browsing around the clothes section... I prefer Sharks for my wakeboarding stuff...

I went to Underworld yesterday and the Underworld brand complete was 150$(CAN). Is that good or not?

Thanks for the advice!

WakeBoardingManiac
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone told me that adrenaline boards were good and only 125$... Anyone knows them?
WakeBoardingManiac
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got my board... It's a shop brand board, it's pretty cool... I need to make a search on how to ollie now Razz

Thanks for all your advice!

s-s213
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Nanaimo

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I was a little late on the board advice. I'll tell ya anyways though because I'm damn bored. Your actual deck probably won't matter, because there's a good chance you'll get frustrated and break it anyways. Wouldn't be a bad idea though for the first time to get decent trucks, but if you get the right ones they could last years without having to worry about them. If you don't get great ones first time, then you'll have to go buy new ones. I suggest Krux, Ventures, or Independents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: