Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

PCM 5.8 Engineys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HkySk8r187

City: Oxnard

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: PCM 5.8 Engineys Reply with quote

Is this a good engine? I hear it is a Ford motor but it says PCM all over it, and no Ford, so I'm not sure what relationship PCM and Ford have, if any. Also, I'm considering picking up a boat with this engine in it, it's got 250 hours on it. I'm wondering how good these engines are and what their expected lifespan is before they start requiring a lot of fixing.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Gmcc

City: Gambrills

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boat engine manufacturers, such as PCM and Mercruiser buy Ford and and Chevy blocks and and marinize them to their specs. Most 5.8 liter engines are Chevy 350 blocks. Just because it is a Chevy or Ford block does not mean you can use Chevy or Ford parts. 250 Hours is not a lot by, but hours are just one thing to consider. 250 hours at WOT would be like running 50 Indianapolis 500's, but in normal use, 250 hours is nothing. I frequently put about 150 hours on the boat every year.
Cbrown
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Memphis

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5.8l is the ford 351 block and as stated above indmar, PCM and mercruiser all buy the engines from ford in this case and marinize it for our uses. Now all the inboard manufactes are using a chevrolet block with the 5.7l 350 being the most commonly found.

I would not hesitate to buy the boat due to having the ford block.
HkySk8r187

City: Oxnard

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmcc wrote:
250 Hours is not a lot by, but hours are just one thing to consider. 250 hours at WOT would be like running 50 Indianapolis 500's, but in normal use, 250 hours is nothing. I frequently put about 150 hours on the boat every year.

What does WOT mean? Also what other things would you consider before buying a boat besides the normal things like the boat physical condition and interior, and all the things any newb would look at.

Also, what is the life expectancy of these motors? Am I going to get to 1000 hours and have to have it rebuilt or will it take longer than that? Just trying to figure these things out before I buy. Thanks.
biglouie
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOT=Wide Open Throttle
Gmcc

City: Gambrills

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh water or Salt? It makes a big difference. If you are in salt water can you flush the engine after every use? I had a 89 Donzi that I ran in the Bay for a few years. I kept it in the water and there was no way to flush. I could count on replacing the high rise manifolds about every 300 hours. I sold the boat to a friend and the engine is still going strong with well over 1200 hours but the manifolds have been replaced several times. You didn't say if this is an inboard or an I/O. I/O's require maintance. You can check compression and look for other wear signs -rust, fluid leakage. Try to get any meaintaince records they have.
bchesley

City: Whitehouse

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ask any boat mechanic and he will tell you that the 5.8 liter was the staple for the marine industry for engines. Until 2002 or so I would bet that 75 percent of new boats had them. The GT-40 being the most popular because of its power and longevity. I have had several 5.8 ford motors in my boats and love them. Power is good and parts are readily available. I just got a set of GT-40 heads for my 83 nautique that will add 40HP with just bolting them on. Add a cam and I will have a 300hp motor that will last for as long as I own the boat. I bet if you did a survey on inboards on this forum you would be shocke at how many boats run them......

Brad
bchesley

City: Whitehouse

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to tell you that I have 1180 hours on my boat and still have compression within spec. The bottom end of a motor that is taken care of shoud run 2000 hours. If it abused maybe not!!!

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: