Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Why ban it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, because it's illegal you would be fine with a type of therapy that is "abusive"? Or am I understanding you wrong?
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:
As long as people are still of the opinion that being homosexual is a choice (and I'm not talking about the two hot college chicks kissing in the club), then we will still have these types of discussions.

You're probably right.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Effective Jan. 1, the state will ban what is known as reparative or conversion therapy

I only wish it also applied to the conversion therapy used by MLMs, haha!

IMO orientation is far more subjective, and controlled by environmental variables, then it is a "choice" or a hard coded certainty like both sides would like us to believe. Either way, how your mind processes and interprets those variables cannot simply be therapied away.

To me its kinda like being right handed or left handed. Its not a "choice", but its also not a genetic predisposition either. It manifests itself based on variables and we foster it early on. Our entire system learns to function on that premise. I dont feel like I chose to be right handed, but I also see wounded vets come back without their dominant arm and become equally coordinated with their remaining arm. I see left handed people who golf right handed and do it well. I think Im right handed because of the way I interpreted my environment and interacted with it. I dont think I actively chose it, no do I think I was born that way.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CB,I assume if a similar type of therapy was being used to deal with teenage alcohol or drug abuse, you would also be ok banning it?

Are you making the statement that sexual orientation is akin to alcohol and drug abuse?

Are you saying that being a gay teenager is at the same risk for dying or destroying his/her and other lives as being a teenager addicted to heroine?

Is that really where your head is at? Because it must be, if you are bringing the two up for comparison.

Tbonez
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: ATL

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of banning they should have provided guidelines and regulation...What they did is trample patient rights, parents rights and come dangerously close to tampering with religious freedoms.

What if the underage individual WANTS this therapy? They didnt ban the forcing of this therapy on an individual they banned the therapy itself.

They can debunk any type of therapy they want but do you know what type of therapy that works? The type that you, as the patient, wants to work and is willing to put effort into. The patients desire to be rid of mental anguish and or be healed is 50% of the battle. The state basically eliminated a therapeutic option for patients that could help. I do agree that any type of forced therapy is almost assured to fail. They did eliminate the option for individuals that wanted it and saw it as a viable option.

The state is once again saying that they know what is better for you and or your child than you do. There is no reason to ban just regulate.

Last edited by Tbonez on Oct 02, 2012 5:15 am; edited 7 times in total
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of off topic but its kind of interesting regarding the right hand/left hand thing. I am blind in my right eye but still right handed. But over the years I have become left side dominant. I still have more coordination in my right hand but have more strength in my left arm and leg and tend to lead with both when something requires power. When it requires coordination I fall back to my right side. Damn I wish I was ambidextrous.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbonez wrote:
The state is once again saying that they know what is better for you and or your child than you do. There is no reason to ban just regulate.

Yes, just like you may not beat your children, you are now prohibited from mentally abusing them in this particular fashion. Idea

Regulate - cool, I'm fine with that, if it means this type of psychotherapy is prohibited for minors. Once you are an adult and can legally choose to do it to yourself, by all means go for it. There is no reason why adults should not be able to choose to seek out this type of "treatment". Why the hell not. Hopefully when they do finally blow their completely scrambled brains out they don't hurt anyone else.

And this has nothing to do with religious freedoms. Screw that noise. You can choose to follow a religion, but one of the lines which may not be crossed is when harm is being done to children in the name of said religion. If that line is crossed, the "religious freedoms" status is out the window.

nmballa, I think you should subject yourself to intense psychotherapy to see if the quacks can mindfack you into being ambidextrous. Wink

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They can debunk any type of therapy they want but do you know what type of therapy that works? The type that you, as the patient, wants to work and is willing to put effort into. The patients desire to be rid of mental anguish and or be healed is 50% of the battle.

Do you think that they can "heal" the gay out of a kid?

And speaking of mental anguish, while I don't know for sure, I am skeptical that this kind of therapy can rid a patient of the anguish that accompanies being gay in an environment where everyone you associate with believes it is a sickness and abomination that must be treated with therapy to make it go away. I wonder if being "treated" for one's sexuality can do anything BUT cause more anguish.

IMO.

I keep wondering how this would work out for me if the roles were reversed. If we lived in a gay world where straight people's parents sent them to therapy to make them gay. I don't think there is enough therapy in the world to turn me gay.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neognosis wrote:
Quote:
CB,I assume if a similar type of therapy was being used to deal with teenage alcohol or drug abuse, you would also be ok banning it?

Are you making the statement that sexual orientation is akin to alcohol and drug abuse?

Are you saying that being a gay teenager is at the same risk for dying or destroying his/her and other lives as being a teenager addicted to heroine?

Is that really where your head is at? Because it must be, if you are bringing the two up for comparison.

No, my point is that if you see a style of therapy as "abuse" or see it as damaging to a minor because of the methods, I would assume you would be fine with banning it no matter what it was treating. The key thing I'm focusing on is the statement about the therapy being overbearing and/ or "abusive" to the child. It doesn't seem like it should matter what is being treated.

It's the same reason I asked this question of chavez:

Okie Boarder wrote:
So, because it's illegal you would be fine with a type of therapy that is "abusive"? Or am I understanding you wrong?

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, my point is that if you see a style of therapy as "abuse" or see it as damaging to a minor because of the methods, I would assume you would be fine with banning it no matter what it was treating.

I think that part of the abuse is WHAT it is treating.

For instance, on a MUCH lesser scale, therapy to treat left handedness. We know that "treating" left handedness is harmful in and of itself.

I also don't know what their techniques are for treating the gay away.

Do you know?

In my opinion, even if the "treatment" itself is not abusive (which I suspect it is, but I dont' know for sure), the idea of treating a person's sexuality IS, I believe, damaging.

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be up to the parents, not the State, whether treating a person's sexuality IS damaging.

Unless I missed it, I am not aware of anyone stating what the techniques are? Thanks to Partyb, I was able to use this cool google thing to try to find out but that didnt really help any.

Chavez, you said it was child abuse, please explain why it is child abuse? What about the treatment is child abuse? If telling to the child that being gay is wrong and they should not be gay, then I think millions of parents should be prosecuted for this "child abuse"...
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think that part of the abuse is WHAT it is treating.

So, for alcoholism or drug addiction, you're stance would be it isn't abusive because you would be treating something that is potentially hurting the child already?

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Okie & jgriff,

Honestly, would you feel the same about parents sending children to a group of therapists to treat the straight out of them? You know, treating kids who thought they were straight, but their parents were sure the kids were gay…… That you’d be okay with these parents forcing these kids to attend “therapy” which would let them know that how they feel, who they are, is wrong, “You’re gay kid….face it.” Making some 16 year old high school boy to go week in, week out, to this person that kept telling them, quit liking girls, you like boys.... You'd think that is okay?
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't agree with it and wouldn't do it to my child, but I don't think it is my place to say what they do with their child. I also don't think it should be the state's place to say, either.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., I wouldnt think it was ok, but I think it should be their right as parents. There are tons of things parents do that I dont agree with. However, it is their decision, not the States.

I also dont agree with sending kids to this type of therapy (treating the gay out of them); however, I dont think it should be banned.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that this type of therapy has been disavowed by mainstream mental health organizations and they support the legislation, I’m okay with the government getting involved.

We can agree to disagree....

Just because someone is a parent, doesn't mean that what they do with their children is their business and their business alone....and thank Allah for that.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, for alcoholism or drug addiction, you're stance would be it isn't abusive because you would be treating something that is potentially hurting the child already?

I don't know what the treatment is, though, so I can't say.

I bet you can beat a kid so badly and put them into the hospital long enough to get them to dry out and overcome an alcohol addiction, but that doesn't mean it should be the typical practice....

Quote:
Seeing that this type of therapy has been disavowed by mainstream mental health organizations and they support the legislation, I’m okay with the government getting involved.

I am too.

nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmballa wrote:
Kind of off topic but its kind of interesting regarding the right hand/left hand thing. I am blind in my right eye but still right handed. But over the years I have become left side dominant. I still have more coordination in my right hand but have more strength in my left arm and leg and tend to lead with both when something requires power. When it requires coordination I fall back to my right side. Damn I wish I was ambidextrous.

Is that the one where a hot blonde sits on your face. I'm in...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neognosis, LOL...never a direct answer from you. "Well, maybe I agree with it as long as it is in line with my way of thinking, which I won't divulge, because if I do I might have to stand by a certain distinct belief."

If the treatment was exactly what is described in the article (which chavez clearly has stated is abusive), would you be ok with or want to ban for a treatment for alcoholism or drug addiction.

Can you actually provide a direct and concise answer without trying to talk in circles and leave yourself an out?

Mr. Top Hat
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder, how can you actually compare drug addiction and alcoholism to homosexuality? Alcoholics and drug addicts have a real, physical problem, homosexuals only have a problem in the eyes of people who do not approve of homosexuality. To compare an addict becoming clean to a gay person becoming straight is absolutely ridiculous.

Since you have compared the two in multiple posts I'm actually curious to see where you stand on this. Would you rather your child be a homosexual or an alcoholic? What about a coke head? Pill head? How about a cigarette smoker?

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Okie, I give you a direct answer all the time, you just don't like the answers because they depend on other factors. You know, the same way that life is not black and white.

You oversimplify things and then wonder why you don't get an oversimplified response.

The article doesn't describe the treatment enough for me to make a judgement about whether it would be appropriate for alcohol and drug addiction, so I can't make a black and white statement about it. I'm also not a psychiatrist or psychologist, how can I determine what is effective or not?

However, if you are going to keep pushing me for a black and white answer based on things I have not expertise in, I would have to say that I would only endorse treatment for drug and booze addiction that is approved by people who do that for a living... and this treatment does not seem to be in that category. So no.

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason it is banned (in most peoples eyes) is that it is a form of child abuse, correct? So is it child abuse for parents to encourage their kids not to be gay and to say being gay is wrong?

If this therepy is child abuse to "treat" gay, but not to treat other things, then the child abuse must be the gay is bad part and the parents should be prosecuted.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The reason it is banned (in most peoples eyes) is that it is a form of child abuse, correct? So is it child abuse for parents to encourage their kids not to be gay and to say being gay is wrong?

Another gray question that necessitates a gray answer.

You can't punish ignorance until it breaks the law.
So a lot of the things a parent can do to a kid that ends up isolating the kid and making them feel ashamed and sometimes leads to a very unfortunate tragedy, you can't do anything about.

Other things you can, like a certain therapy that is not approved by the appropriate licensing boards, for instance.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Top Hat, Homosexuality and addiction can both be viewed as "wrong" by some parents and from that standpoint I was trying to understand how they would be viewed relative to some form of "drastic" pshycotherapy. The similarity isn't in the act as much as it is the reaction to the "act", and that's what I was asking about. I'm not trying to compare the two "acts", just the reaction and the methods of therapy to understand how people feel about it.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neognosis wrote:
However, if you are going to keep pushing me for a black and white answer based on things I have not expertise in, I would have to say that I would only endorse treatment for drug and booze addiction that is approved by people who do that for a living... and this treatment does not seem to be in that category. So no.

Fair enough. I'm not sure why you couldn't have answered like that in the first place.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that I live in a progressive state, I've never understood homophobia or even racism as it was not something I've ever really seen or heard in person (Sacramento is one of the most diverse cities in the country). This conversation seems so odd to me from the sense that I honestly do not understand that people think they can treat homosexuality.

I can understand not wanting your kid to have sex until old enough and in a stable relationship due to the repercussions of that act, emotionally, disease, pregnancy, ect... But I cannot understand a parent wanting to brainwash their kid straight like this is some sort of mental condition that should be treated.

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the first lawsuit is filed.

http://gma.yahoo.com/student-got-gay-cure-sues-california-over-law-180012521--abc-news-health.html

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal, Neognosis, Mr. Top Hat, chavez,

So what do you think of Aaron Blitzer and other people that have been cured of being gay using this therapy?
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't cure being gay any more than you can cure being heterosexual.

I don't know anything about this Aaron Blitzer, but if he is a person who claims that he was "cured of gay," I would counter that a person can claim whatever they want and modify their behavior if they wanted, but I call bullsiht if someone claims that their sexuality was changed.

I know a woman who was raped and as a result, she finds sex to be very undesirable and a frightening and negative experience. Was she "cured of being straight" by her attack?

No, of course not.

Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith wrote:

So what do you think of Aaron Blitzer and other people that have been cured of being gay using this therapy?

I think you a moron for using the phrase 'cured of being gay'. It's not an illness or a disease tardjar.

Mr. Top Hat
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith wrote:

I thank god that they were able to contain the outbreak before it spread

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhawn, that really makes me sad. After all the time I have spent trying to impress you, for you to think of me as a moron really hurts.

The article says that this kid claims he got a gay cure. I didnt make that up, its in the title of the article.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people claim that the hear god telling them to blow up buildings with innocent people in them.

Meaning that what someone claims means little to me.

Like every politician or celebrity who claims to be straight and to fight against the acceptance of homosexuality, but then ends up blowing some dude in a toilet.

What's the story with this Aaron Blitzer guy? Idk. I don't think you can change your sexuality, but we have evidence that strongly suggests that sexuality is not as black and white as we think, with many people falling in somewhere on a sliding scale.

And people can be celibate, and gay men often can have sex with women... so is Aaron Blitzer cured of his fagginess if he is celibate or has sex with a woman?

(come on... we all know he's going to go back to picturing Brad Pitt in the near future.. LULZ)

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the scientific community consider a person gay if they haven't had a sexual encounter, but just consider themselves attracted to the same sex?
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If warlords can program children to kill, why can't you program someone who is a 1 or 2 on the Kinsey Scale to be a 0 or asexual? Just because it can be done doesn't mean it is right or does not come with other psychological neuroses later in life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: