Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

surfers against skateboarding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rastamastakontiki

City: Orlando, Tampa

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: surfers against skateboarding. Reply with quote

Are there any surfers here who are upset by the popularity of skateboarding recently? Surfers invented skating as a way to enjoy time off the water but skateboarding has by far exceeded the popularity of surfing now. Many kids are even wearing surf brand clothing and flip flops everyday when theyve never even surfed. They skateboard. Big deal. That doesnt give you the right to think your a surfer. I just wish surfing were still more popular than skating. Sad
Mike.H
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: oceanside, ca

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would you be upset? its not like we can go out in the ocean with our skateboards and take all the waves Confused
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I definitely wish surfing was more popular. Then we could get charged even MORE for the gear! Rolling Eyes

You say you wish surfing was more popular, then you complain about people who don't surf wearing surf gear. Lemme tell you something, companies like Quiksilver and Billabong wouldn't exist if only surfers bought their stuff. Ask Kelly Slater how bummed he is on kids who don't surf wearing his signature boardshorts. Oh wait, I think Quiksilver sponsors skaters too though. There's this guy....Tony Hawk. Do you know him? Quik is one of his sponsors. Maybe that's why all the skater kids are wearing it.

Surfing is an inherently esoteric sport, if you live in Kentucky you're not really gonna feel the stoke of getting shacked in a 6-foot barrel. Skating, on the other hand, is completely accessible and available to all so it has more mass appeal. You said yourself that you barely surf. Maybe you should earn your stripes before complaining about the state of surfing vs. skating.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rastamastakontiki

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well lets see, i didnt ever actually say anything about quicksilver or billabong. im talking more along the lines of rusty, local motion, electric, wrv, ripcurl, and oneill. Also i did not say i barely surf. I said i barely get a chance to surf. Because im in school right now and i dont get my liscence until next year. I could have worded the title better. Im not actually against skateboarding i just wish that people would stop acting like its a better sport when it wouldnt be here without surfers. And your right that they would raise prices and things like that. But im NOT complaining. Im starting an open ended discussion. Now i would of liked to see all of your opinions but you guys were just rude. I would never reply to such a broad topic with "boo ****ing Hoo". The fact that you live in Kentucky means skating is a great thing for you man. But i live in Florida. So.........please just try to be a bit more open minded to what im saying dudes. And try not to take it the wrong way. Forums- Rolling Eyes
rastamastakontiki

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah and btw..........

Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's dissect your first post. You talk about how much it sucks that skateboarding is more popular than surfing. Then you say you hate it when kids who don't surf (ie; they skateboard) wear flip flops and surf brand clothing. This, you claim, doesn't make you a surfer. But you're not complaining.

A) That certainly wasn't a witty enuff retort to claim you owned someone.

B) In case you weren't aware, Rusty, Local Motion, Rip Curl, & O'Neill are also corporate superpowers just like Quik & Billabong. They're not mom & pop shops surviving on the loyal hometown contingent.

C) Yeah, it's kind of annoying when people who don't know anything about surfing say it sucks. It's definitely annoying when skaters don't recognize the importance of surfing to their sport. Is it worth getting worked up over? Not really.

When I started surfing in the mid-90's it was a fairly quiet sport. It wasn't underground or renegade like skateboarding was, but it definitely wasn't anywhere near the media circus it is now. Back then only surfers knew who Laird Hamilton was. I remember a top-of-the-line wetsuit cost me $200. Quiksilver boardshorts were $20, and those were the expensive ones. You could find other brands like MCD and Volcom for less, and if you hit a sale you'd get the Quiks for $10. Now I'm lucky to find wetsuits for less than $300 (some of 'em are up to $600) and boardshorts are between $50-60.

Oh, and do we really need to talk about how crowded the lineup got after MTV and Hollywood got their hands on surfing? Suddenly the entire coastal female population are wearing a white rashguards and have their hair tied up in a bun while they try to learn how to ride Pipeline like Anne-Marie.

Bottom line, there's good and bad to both sides of the story. I like uncrowded breaks, but I also like the new technologies that can be explored because of the extra income the industry is making. Titanium super-stretch wetsuits blow DOORS on my old neoprene/smoothie 3/2.

Incidentally, if you're unhappy with the state of surfing now you're about to be VERY disappointed in the next few months. Clark Foam shut doors on its factory so all shapers nationwide are losing 90% of the blanks they use to make boards. The cost of boards (and pretty much everything else surf related) is expected to increase accordingly. All those giggly teenage girls are gonna hafta drop some serious coin if they wanna learn to ride the big Kahuna. More than likely surfing is going underground for a spell 'til this whole thing gets figured out. Epoxy boards don't have enuff of a stronghold to overtake the demand for foam.
J-Ro
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Rocklin

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester, Once again....solid post.

Star

Read My Blog

RIP Leggester
justflyguy

City: hot springs

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like somebody sucks at skating.......
cwaker4
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Gilroy

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rastamastakontiki- you are a whiner, and did not even burn wakebrad hard enough to claim ownage.
as far as the whole thing about non surfers wearing surf swag, you could say the same thing about skateboarding ten fold. now i surf, but i am not what you would call a surfer, yet i wear billabong, quiksilver and sandals all the time. not because i am a surf poser but because these companies support wakeboarding and snowboarding, the other sports i particiapate in. btw, jester just owned you.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Wilmington, Delaware

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester,

will you see an increase in the tufflite boards now? they seem pretty tight to begin with.

Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea. I expect all alternate technologies like epoxy and carbon-fiber boards to increase somewhat, but I haven't met anyone yet that sez they're switching. All the guys I know that ride fiberglass/foam are still going to and probably will 'til they die.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester,

I just got my surfer mag, the sign "only one board per customer". Are people freakin yet?

I still need to read the article but to me, The Clark Company seems completely irresponsible. If they did come back, I am not sure I would buy from them. I really need to read the article. Then I am sure my conviction will be reinforced or retracted.

Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that rule's been in force since the initial shutdown here. Nobody's been allowed to buy more than 2 boards at the shops. My brother said Channel Islands boards are going for $900 in Santa Barbara.

I don't think anybody's really freaked out yet, but I anticipate panic in the coming months. There's tons of guys in the industry trying to keep things afloat and for the most part they're doing a good job, but I can't imagine there won't be at least a little backlash from this.

Obviously Clark did not handle this responsibly. If they got a notice from the EPA years ago about the chemicals they're using then you gotta handle that. Unfortunately he just decided to keep going 'til they forced him to shutdown. Now the industry is left to pick up the pieces. Like I said, they're doing a good job, but you can only do so much when the factory that produces 90% of your product goes under. It'd be like Nike being forced to stop using overseas labor on their shoes.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester, I hear from a friend in the industry that his company will be recieving foam shipments from South Africa and China and the supply cost will not increase much.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play hockey like you guys surf. And in hockey, the switch started (not due to EPA or anything) from wooden sticks to aluminum to graphite. Some people refused to make the switch but eventually they did. There are few people left with wood, but not many and the are harder to find. Now the new one piece composites are like 210 and I use a graphite shaft with a wood replacement blade. That fact shows that an entire industry will change when forced to. And hockey players are just as convicted and surfers. But forget that, whats wrong with the tuff-lite? I would bite the bullet and say f you.

If Clark new that there were health issues and avoided the notices even more, I really have no respect and the only article I need to read is what will replace foam.
Especially from an industry that seems extremely sensitive to environment.
Now NC is stating they will come from China and Africa. That's even more IRRESPONSIBLE. And the people that will continue to buy are just as bad.

Being from the midwest, I am not tied into the community like you guys. But I am in awe.

My final thought is. Perfect time to take over. The environment is perfect for a small company or two to do the right thing.

If you know any editors and want to get that published for me, let me know. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muckmeister, the problem might have something to do with the EPA. They often regulate industry to the point it is no longer feasible for small companies to continue working in the USA. All it takes is for some bureaucrats to decide some chemical in the resin must be handled in a certain fashion and a whole industry is shut down within our borders.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
muckmeister, the problem might have something to do with the EPA. They often regulate industry to the point it is no longer feasible for small companies to continue working in the USA. All it takes is for some bureaucrats to decide some chemical in the resin must be handled in a certain fashion and a whole industry is shut down within our borders.

True dat.
redhededstepchild
Criminal
Criminal

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to sound like a tree-hugger, but if they've been ignoring warnings for so long that they actually got SHUT DOWN over whatever infractions they were being accused of, it doesn't sound like it's a matter of handling a chemical in a particular fashion. maybe the disposal of a chemical a certain way.
i definitely agree that the EPA can go WAY overboard, but there's also the chance that the Clark Co is decimating the enviroment as well as seriously endangering the people that work for them (and their kids, family, community etc.). if they outsource to another country under the same conditions, nothing has changed, in which case i would see this as a good solution.
These guys probably have more money than god and were just waiting for the end once the warning started rolling in..."we're not gonna spend millions of dollars to renovate/update/make safe this process just to retire, lets ride the wave as long as it lasts then let someone else pick up the pieces."

Ian_82
Addict
Addict

City: Longview, WA

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rastamastakontiki,

how do you know these people do not surf? obviously a large majority dont, but when you walk down the beach and see kids riding a skateboard wearing a "surf related" t shirt, dont automatically assume he doesnt surf, and is only "posing".

remember YOU SURFERS started skateboarding. which means a lot of surfers skate. as im sure a lot also snowboard, and a lot also wakeboard. thats the beauty of boardsports. on a hot day you can go surfing or skating if its too windy to wakeboard, or if its winter you can surf or snowboard, or skate if its dry. or maybe thats just here in the NW. an hour to the ocean, a bit over an hour to Hood, and plenty of mountain lakes and rivers in the summer to wake, and plenty of skateparks all over. nice concrete ones.

we should be a brotherhood. not factions.
spinmistro

City: Baltimore

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Off sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead.

Secondly, How can you pissed about a sport that has done so much for surfing becoming popular? You sound worse then the complaining skaters that are whining because surfers "are stealing their tricks" Who the **** cares. Just give props to those who rip, go big, and do it for the love of the sport and the board sport community will be better for it.

TDott04

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man its a good thing surfing is on the backburner
It just means a lot less snakin and a lot more barrel
jlaws
Addict
Addict

City: NC

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, the original skateboarding was made when surfers couldnt surf during the winter months, so they made longboard skateboards, the people that rode thes downhill mostly (not doing trick we see today) were often "carving" back and forth down hills, these people were known as street surfers. yes the skateboarding industry has gotten out of hand, and there are tons of posers that wear surf gear, but hey what can you say... keeps the economy up lol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J-Ro

City: Rocklin

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to newbies:

1) Please don't bring back stupid threads from a year ago. Note that the last three revival posts have been by newbies.

2) Please don't put big, lame a$$, google earth pics in your signature.

Read My Blog

RIP Leggester
cezza
Addict
Addict

City: Hamilton, New Zealand

PostPosted: May 22, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Ro, who are you? mr post police?!?!?- who cares man

i dont care if surfing or skating is more popular than the other...just as long as i dont hear the word "rugby" haha

* no i dont smoke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: