Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Riding tired

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Riding tired Reply with quote

Just a reminder- listen to your body and don't ride too hard when you are absolutely exhausted. You could be setting yourself up for an injury that could have easily been avoided.

We went riding all day Sunday, first day of the season, probably had 5 sets each. It was shaky but things went pretty well all things considered. Yesterday we went out for afternoon sets. I went first and the first thing I said after I rode was "that didnt feel like my first set of the day, it felt like my 6th". I could hardly hold the handle on landings so I knew it was time to quit.

My best friend went next. He goes huge on wake jumps, tons of power, well he took for granted the fact that he was still exhausted from 2 days ago and just kept riding, and he ate it sooo hard on a big off axis 3. He threw it half-assed and didn't have the energy to recover or prepare for the fall so he landed square on his back and got some serious internal bruising on his ribs (nothing broken). He just got a new tower, new bindings, new girl that loves to go to the lake, and he will be a couch potato for a few weeks b/c he pushed it too hard with no energy to back it up.

So thats my rant.

"Be safe, have fun, and ride hard" -Parks

Last edited by Jim M on Apr 30, 2003 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
toothpick
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Clermont

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that. I have injured myself bad a couple times on that "I'll just try this one last move now that I'm tired and my run is done."

Yeah, that sucks bad, and I agree...DON"T DO IT! Now when I'm tired, I just cut out real fast and do a butter slide and lean forward a bunch, thus causing a faceplant and easily removing my feet from the bindings.
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

City: Baylor

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh... the wonders of being young... I don't get tired : Mr. Green

An eye for an eye will make the world blind.
-Gandhi

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
-Che Guevera
Krashr31
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Florida

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trick is knowing when your tired. somtimes your body knows it but you don't realize it. i notice when i start dickin around doing butter slides and not charging like at the beginning of the set is a good sign. i can't land any of my tricks half -assed either. Thats when you goota take a break. Besides nobody wants to see half -assed tricks anyway.
Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thats true- or when you edge out and get ready for the charge, but something just isn't right, so you cut back out and edge out farther, then look at the wake again, but still it just doesn't feel right... YOU ARE TIRED!
tdes
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Orlando

PostPosted: May 09, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid advice. Sorta non-related, but after a few sets the other day I went out with my girlie on a jetski. I was little wasty from beer and decided that a life jacket was not required as it was only my girlfriend driving and I would just hold on. Well, one thing led to another, I started screaming like a cowboy and taunting her and she cut it really hard and threw me right off because my arms were butter. Landed flat on my back, all the air in my lungs went out, and I started to sink (no lifevest for Mr. Einstein). One of the scariest feelings I've ever had as I was not sure if I could move. Fortunately the old lifeguard training popped in there and I didn't freak out or start struggling. Being a total dumb*** aside, it reminded me that you may not think you're tired but you really are.

When driving for other people, if they start looking tired I make them take a break. I'll be more conscious with myself from now on too.
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

City: Baylor

PostPosted: May 09, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and don't get drunk, and wear a lifevest... dumby wumby

An eye for an eye will make the world blind.
-Gandhi

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
-Che Guevera
M-Dolla

City: Minnesota

PostPosted: May 17, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes if the moment is right you can ride when your tired if you get the adreneline pumping. Just last night me and some buddies were rapping up an afternoon out on the lake, but then the local news helicopter comes flying over the lake and starts chasing us. It was getting some crazy angles, and even with how exhausted we were, we threw down some huge backrolls.
Krashr31
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Florida

PostPosted: May 17, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backrolls are cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: