Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

First Time Snowboarding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashfoot

City: Lake Oswego/ Portland

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: First Time Snowboarding Reply with quote

So it was my first time snowboarding last friday and let me tell ya...I LOVED IT! I didn't realize how much of a workout it gave to your calves! And the first time I went down my friends took me on a blue run. They say they didn't know it was a blue run but I have a feeling they wanted to see me fall a lot. Which I did. Hit my head pretty hard (I wanted a helmet but for some reason the renters didn't give me one), landed on my chest and got the wind knocked out of me I had to rest for like 5 min. after that one and many falls onto my knees. I picked up the carving, stopping, and riding switch pretty well. Probably helped that I had wakeboarded and longboarded before.

All-in-all I'm ok and surviving. I was pretty sore afterwards but only my arms and ribs were. Since I'm on the crew team we do a lot of leg work so my legs weren't sore besides the bruised knees.

So do you guys remember when your first time snowboarding was? Did you pick it up pretty well? Or did you fall tons of times?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went for the first time 2 weeks ago. been twice since, and i'm thinking about getting my own setup instead of renting. the cool thing is i'm getting credit towards my degree for learning how to board, and my scholarships are paying for my lift tickets.
ashfoot

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o wow cool! How does that work? Where do you go to school?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a physical education class at IU.
Mike.H
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: oceanside, ca

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: First Time Snowboarding Reply with quote

ashfoot wrote:
riding switch pretty well.

im highly doubting this, but thats cool you had fun. my first time i didnt fall that much. i was able to carve and what not but my day was cut short because my sister, who was also snowboarding for the first time, broke her wrist.
ashfoot

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, so I've heard that snowboard injuries are mainly wrist ones.

And about the switch. It's true because the way that the bindings on board I rented were situated like so <=I=I=> and not like <=\=/=> made it actually easier to ride switch then regular. However by my standards of pretty well I also meant pretty well for a beginner and I never did carve when I was switch, at least I don't think I did.
Grace B.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: OR/WA

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first time snowboarding was about 5 years ago, so I don't remember much. Me and one of my best friends got a private lesson, which really helped out a lot. I fell A LOT especially getting off the lifts, haha. I also remember being SO sore the next day, but it was still a good time.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get into semantics, but if you didn't carve you didn't ride switch. You just rode with your opposite foot forward while sliding.

My first time was like everyone elses, at schweitzer in 1990, no lessons, no guidance, just me falling a lot. By the end of the day I was getting it, I could link turn but still couldn't carve.

But, by my standards most snowboarders don't truely carve, they just link turns.

stompin7s
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: venice/ tallahassee

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote= But, by my standards most snowboarders don't truely carve, they just link turns.[/quote]

agreed

it took me a full day and then i could link turns.

ashfoot

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm going back up tomorrow. Any tricks I should try? Heh, like I could do them.
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on my butt and face for two days before I truely had it were I could control my turns, and maintain varying speeds in control. I was hooked like a junkie.
rowlex
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: seattle

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it hurt my first couple times.

then you start going faster and falling hurts even more Razz
ashfoot

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, def. went faster this time (just got back) and I def. fell hard twice onto my head. Luckily I had a helmet but I have some nice snow burn marks on my face from the second fall.

I fell backwards hard the first time and the second time, fell face first and so my face and head really hurt. :/

Oo AND I'm not sore at all this time! Probably cause I didn't fall as much.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cracked my ribs the first and last time I've ever been on one. I'll stick with ski's.
Waking up the World
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Olathe

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: First Time Snowboarding Reply with quote

Mike.H wrote:
ashfoot wrote:
riding switch pretty well.

im highly doubting this, but thats cool you had fun. my first time i didnt fall that much. i was able to carve and what not but my day was cut short because my sister, who was also snowboarding for the first time, broke her wrist.

Riding switch on a snowboard almost feels the exact same has not being switch. Snowboard switch riding is one of the easiest things to learn

-Albert Einstein
ashfoot

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya! Thats what it feels like! Oh and I got some pics this time around

Last edited by ashfoot on Jul 29, 2007 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Nils_Lars
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Santa Cruz

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya this weekend was only my second time out (Bear Valley was almost whiteout conditions) and blue runs were half easy half way to steep and I got the wind knocked outa me more times then I remember.

One advantage to riding switch or sliding switch whatever you wanna call it is made the steep parts easier going down all heelside back and forth , saved the calfs and toes a bit.

I did learn a frontside 360 spin (on the ground) that was a good easy trick to learn , made me feel alot more confident.

Id say my neck and forearms hurt the most even though my legs were screaming when I left after 6 hours , they dont hurt at all now.

Im hooked for sure and im glad I bought my own gear instead of renting however I am a worried to try sliders and such , dont wanna scratch the new stuff Smile

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One advantage to riding switch or sliding switch whatever you wanna call it is made the steep parts easier going down all heelside back and forth , saved the calfs and toes a bit.

Thanks for the borderrouy Rolling Eyes If it's too steep, go to an easier hill, don't ruin the conditions for the rest of us. Side slipping steeps (with pow) is the wakeboarding equivalent of powerturns in a glassy cove.

ashfoot

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Lars wrote:
I did learn a frontside 360 spin (on the ground) that was a good easy trick to learn , made me feel alot more confident.

Id say my neck and forearms hurt the most even though my legs were screaming when I left after 6 hours , they dont hurt at all now.

Im hooked for sure and im glad I bought my own gear instead of renting however I am a worried to try sliders and such , dont wanna scratch the new stuff Smile

I decided that I was going to buy my own snowboard next year because I already bought a new wakeboard this year. Plus with the rentables you can go on sliders and not worry about the scratches.

I totally forgot about my neck being sore. And it is so true!

Man I should try that surface 360 spin. I think about doing it but when I get up to the mountain I always seem to forget to try it or maybe it's because of my roommate who skis while I snowboard would probably be bored if she had to watch. ANYWHO I'll mos def try it this Friday.

I've got 2 more Fridays before ski bus is over Sad but then on to wakeboarding season starting in March! Smile
Grace B.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: OR/WA

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet pics ashfoot. Is that Meadows? I freaking miss that place, definitely one of my favorite places to go snowboarding!
ashfoot

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, it's Meadows Smile
~Last Summer~
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Overland Park

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash, the last group I went with were all skiers and it sucks to ride with them when they want to go on moguls, and ridiculous-hard blacks, so I'd recommend trying to convert some of your friends, or just try going off on your own and free ride and do your thing. One of the best parts of snowboarding, kinda like being the only boat on the water when its glass. Or you could just find new friends, haha j/k Happy riding! Cool
ashfoot

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, well today my roommate decided she didn't want to go up to the mountain (didn't feel too good) so we are going up next weekend. She actually doesn't go on the moguls and usually sticks with me. And all of my other snowboarding buddies don't care that I'm still new at riding so they just take off down the hill without me Sad I guess when I put it that way I should get new snowboarding buddies...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: