Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Texas roll call
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highways are fairly bad around here. At least they were this morning. Will be again tomorrow most likely. We have a fairly nice sleet/hail thing going on right now. Looks like plenty more on the way. No work last night or tonight. Smile

oshensurfer
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here.

I have 1/2" on my sloped driveway. I can't even drive if I wanted to. I'd slide back into the house.

I didn't try, I swear. Twisted Evil

Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Wilmington, Delaware

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, you and you oshensurfer, should be outside driving working on your drifting skills!

All you need to do is hit the driveway with some speed so you can coast up. Idea Very Happy

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I live in the HILLS. If I went out screwing around I'd end up in a ditch in a heartbeat. I do think I want a lasagna for dinner so I may head out soon. I think I may break out the phone and see who wants to share a bottle of wine and stay cozy... I should be OK if I don't drive like a jack*ss.

This ice isn't nearly as deep and solid as the last 2 ice storms we have had here. The one in 98 (97?) had me trying for over an hour to get out of my driveway. An empty 82 Toyota p/u is no match for a 30+ degree driveway w/ an inch of ice. I'd have to spin the tires to melt the ice, then roll down, jack the gas to get a bit higher up and repeat.

The one in 02 (?) was even worse. I was stranded at the house. Pretty much everyone in my area of Westlake was. If you didn't have 4WD, you were screwed.
oshensurfer

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09,
I actually just went out. It's bad on Sawyer Ranch Rd. but 290 wasn't too bad. I went to get some rock salt so I can go in to work in the AM.

I remember the one in 98. That was the shits. My cousin clogged the 183 fly over for hours. Laughing dumby wumby. Laughing

Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been stuck in Waco since thursday.

Went and played golf with my cousin on thursday, got drunk and passed out. Next thing I knew there was ice all over the place. Not worth risking my X5 over this. Besides, UT was closed today, and should be closed tomorrow.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake wrote:
I have been stuck in Waco since thursday.

Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT09, it really isnt bad as long as I dont leave my cousins house, or get recruited by a religious group at the local Target. I am about ready to get the hell out of this city though... My dad told me he doesnt want me to travel back into Austin though. He said there was a nasty wreck this morning outside of GT.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake wrote:
He said there was a nasty wreck this morning outside of GT.

Saw it on the news earlier. Several 18 wheelers and a couple cars - 2 dead. Traffic was stopped on 35 until lunch - about 3-4 hours. Shocked
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, wow... How does the weather look for tomorrow? I have read several different sources, all different. I really hope UT closes again tomorrow. Although I am really tired of Waco, I dont want to risk a wreck getting back to school.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UT is closed Wed.

Weather = more of the same. While we aren't getting the volume of ice we did in the last two storms I referenced, the duration is WAY longer. Radar is showing a HUGE continuous cloudcover stratching all the way over Baja.
firefighter_186
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Killeen

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up in Killeen and it's not too bad here. They did send all non-essential city employees home early today and told us to come in late tomorrow however. It was kinda nice to see some riding this weekend at the boat show. Still got about three months of knee rehab before I get to ride again. At least I'm not missing much with the temps in the 20's.
-=LoneStar=-
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My truck is parked outside and has a 1" thick coating of crystal clear solid ice (with minor orange peel texture) over its entire surface--sides too, not just the top. It's so clear that you almost can't tell it's there from a distance. Weird.
howabouttheiris
Addict
Addict

City: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

183 up north is a freakin mess....
stay on the collectors, they are not too bad.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went to the store to buy some lasagna and ice cream and the roads were fine. Bridges were WELL iced, but slush. If it keeps up though, tomorrow mornign is going to be ugly til mid morning at least. Lots of water on the roads and if the temp drops (9:30, been dark for 4 or 5 hours and it's hovering right above 32) anytime soon, they'll be plenty of ice.
Dees
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Nampa

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanna see some pics

jt09 wrote:
ont - like your money, your opinion loses value as it crosses the border.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
TubeNazi
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a work now because of the ice/snow mixture here in Dallas. My car is inside of an ice cube. I can't open the door without an ice pick. I'll go outside and take some pics now.

A buddy of mine just got his new wakeboard/ bindings setup yesterday. He's dying inside because the weather.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dees, I'll get on it. Tree in our driveway is down. Just woke up but apparently the main road by my house (the hilly ass one) is impassable. We're going to go exploring after breakfast. There was a brief power outage last night accompanied by an explosion, so I think the transformer at the end of the street went bang. Dunno. Everything IS iced over pretty well right now.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deck

Driveway
K-dub
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't miss those TX ice storms at all.
I'd rather deal with 2 feet of snow.

It's been f'n cold out here lately too, but no ice.
I'm ready for summer.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is some of the stuff that MO is facing. Glad I couldn't go back to school a week early. Springfield, MO has been declared a Natural Disaster I think.

http://php.news-leader.com/PhotoGallery/Gallery.php?Category=13

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, nice. Laughing

You can be an honorary Canadian for the week.
TubeNazi
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few pics. The snow and sleet mix has turned into just rain so now everything is starting to melt.

pube.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  50.47 KB
 Viewed:  6239 Time(s)

truck.jpg

Description:
My truck, FOR SALE
 Filesize:  61.2 KB

icicle.jpg

Description:
This has been there since Sunday
 Filesize:  53.22 KB

DavidHoff
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow day today for most of the Dallas / Plano schools. Woohoo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!! Just got back from running some errands. No big accidents, but there are a ton of trees in the roads. The best thing was a big ass deer running out from in between two houses and going FULL BLAST into the side of the SuperCrew in front of me! I think it busted off an antler, but he was at least an 8 before and probably a 10. HAHAHA!!! I was SO pumped up after that!
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT, you live out in Far West?

I dont know if schools are closed here in Waco, but I am about on my last leg with this city. The roads here are perfect, and had I known that it was going to take me this long to get back home, I would have invested in some snow chains earlier... I went today, and they are sold out. Rolling Eyes

Come on now... Its not bad at all in Waco, yet I here grrrrnnnn clank clank clank all over dry streets. These ar-tards kill me.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, damn...

I had a doe try to wreck me on the bike the other night. Pretty cool to be just a few feet away from it. Not so cool that she got the deer in the headlights act from just my little tri-led light on the bike.

On another note, my dad was whining this morning because his car doors were frozen shut. They got a sprinkle last night, then went below freezing for several hours.

I told him to be glad he isn't in Texas..... Laughing

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
I told him to be glad he isn't in Texas..... Laughing

Its a small price to pay to live in paradise.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

OK I'm done.

BigRed
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Redwood City, CA

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradise TX: About 5 miles from Bridgeport & Lake Bridgeport

Praradise CA: About 5 miles from Chico and Lake Oroville.

Strange Coincidence.

Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigRed, except Axl Rose was thinking of the city about 5 miles away from Bridgeport & Lake Bridgeport when he wrote that famous song.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake, yeah, unless Axl was 75 years old he wouldn't have been thinking about Paradise, CA. Laughing

Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
Blake, yeah, unless Axl was 75 years old he wouldn't have been thinking about Paradise, CA. Laughing

OR... The songs chorus ended with "where the grass is organic and the dudes are giddy."
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake, nice... Laughing

BUT

It's not SF. Paradise is a whole 'nother world out there. Great location if you don't travel much (aka fixed income retirees). It's mostly retirees out there.

ANYWHO... I wasn't bashing Texas I was talking about your ice storm compared to my Dad's piddly "doors are frozen" whine. "Could be worse" Laughing

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake, Westlake. Just across LA from the Hula Hut above the cove.

All flyovers are still closed here. All of 183, the 35 splits and anything else elevated. Stupid. Just a bunch of slush. That sh*t ain't gonna move itslef people. We NEED to put cars on the road to get rid of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: