Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

need some computer help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quigglymaster
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: need some computer help! Reply with quote

i just got a virus, so i got it removed at some computer shop. the virus screwed up the device manager and stuff like that. now my computer can't find my printer and my speakers even though i reinstalled the printer driver and the audio driver. so what should i do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jedsterr
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Star Idaho

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to church & requests an excorsism.

I hate/love computers.

-J
jedsterr
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Star Idaho

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't provide any better help than that smart remark. I only know how to use computers that work.
Chukee_R
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Minneapolis / St. Paul, MN

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the store get the most recent Antivirus software, install it and let it rip.
quigglymaster
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i already got the virus removed, but the damage has already been done. and i don't know how to fix it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JHrod
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u could try uninstall ur whole drive ----windows and all ....then just use the disc that came wit the comp. and reinstall
Chukee_R
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably have to reformat your computer....in order to do this make sure that you have EVERYTHING backed up that you want/need. Then restart the computer load windows, since im guessing you're using a PC. Then go to restart in MSDOS. Once you are there type "format c:\" I believe without the quotes and just follow the on screen instructions. It will ask you if you are sure multiple times. If you are using Windows XP just put the cd in reboot the computer, go to the option "reinstall windows xp" go through the on screen instructions, make sure that you format the drive, and don't partition it, otherwise it gets to be a pain. Good luck! If you need any other help and you have another computer in the house e-mail me @ cmrogers@viterbo.edu otherwise you can e-mail me before you do it if you have anymore questions....

The joys of being a computer information systems major Wink
quigglymaster
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do u knwo waht's weird? my comp won't start back into dos. it just shuts down and restarts. i'm using ME so that might explain something
Chukee_R
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a system boot disk? If you have that just stick it in while the computer is booting up and it will take you to the dos prompt. then change the directory "CD C:" or whatever drive is your harddrive and then go from there.
quigglymaster
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i dont' have a boot disk, but how can i make one?
Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is to rebuild your system from scratch, I do it about every 6 months and it keeps things running very clean.

Is it a fairly new system? If so, here is what I recommend...

Burn all of your important data to CDr discs for backup. This includes everything from word/excel docs, bookmark file for Internet Explorer/Netscape, cookies folder, nudie pics, mp3s, mpegs, everything you want to keep. Don't copy program folders over, software has to be reinstalled.

Next- insert a Windows XP CD and reboot your computer. If you don't have XP, borrow or burn the CD from a friend that has it (don't tell the Microsoft police and you will be fine).

It will start up to the 'Welcome to Windows XP' screen. You want to wipe out the existing partition on your computer and format a new partition with Fat32. Its not complicated, just let it do its thing. The best thing about Windows XP is it is VERY smart, it will find and install all of your hardware so you don't have to manually search for drivers. Windows ME is an inferior OS w/ tons of holes. XP is solid. So it will create a parition, install XP, install all your hardware, and thats pretty much it. Pop in your backup discs and just copy your stuff back down, and install whatever additional sofware you need like Office and Norton using the install discs. Email me if you need specific help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: