Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

How long did it take you to get your first W2W?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripperchick
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: How long did it take you to get your first W2W? Reply with quote

I'm still trying to get my first wake to wake and i'm starting to get frustrated. Anybody remember how long it took them to get their's down?
*Rachel*

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much easier to start with if you shorten the line.

I don't know how long it took me. I've probably been on a wakeboard about 10-12 times and I could clear the wake on a shortish line a while ago. I started jumping w2w on a 60 foot line the last time I went.
RebeccaS

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my first season when I got it but it took about a month of working on it to finally get all the way across. What speed are you riding at?
ripperchick
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i"m going about 21 or 22. Should i try and go faster?
shazie
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleared my w2w after 7 months (almost exerting all my energy).

21 or 22 thats what I usually ride (sea or fresh water).

I use a 65ft line. Before that, I tried a shorter line, but I found that I dont have enough time to prepare properly for the wake jump...may be its just me.

interesting discovery: I usually ride on sea & choppy waters. Couple months ago, I went to a peaceful fresh water lake with a nice narrow wake, with 1/2 the effort (usually for my 1 wake jumps), I easily made w2w. of course edging properly is the vital part of the exercise, but water, wake conditions & speed also enhances the jump as well.
NightAngel
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Union Grove

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still trying to go w2w. I cant seem to grasp the concept. I have been riding since last august but really only tried jumping one wakes consistantly for the last month. I am on a 65ft line going about 20-21mph. The water varies but mostly chop. I cant tel what I am doing wrong either and its getting annoying. I also keep crashing the same way because I am starting to bruise in the same spots. Puppy Eyes
ripperchick
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People tell me to try and ollie off the wake, does this work for anyone else. I myself have not tried it yet. I have a pretty good edge through the wake but it's still not enough for me.
shazie
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightAngel - Which way do you fall, forward, backward or sideway? Not an expert, but hope we can help.

Ripper chick - Actually i posted a similar question a short while ago but no one answered but fortunately "I think" I found the answer. Ollie off the wake gets your tip up into the sky. Its great for 360s or grabs (or maybe other tricks). On regular jumps, I have tried ollieing but its difficult to bring my front tip down when I'm leveled off in the air. Result, not a nice sweeping motion across the air, and I often thrown off balance and fall.

Wake to Wake: Aside from all the prerequisits you find on the forum/site on this matter, my key to w2w was right after my cruising and when the rope is starting to pull. When rope tightens, the gradual movement of bringing the handle to my front hips (rope tension mostly on my leading hand) and rolling onto my heels in a carving motion all in one smooth continuos movement. Dont know if you can understand me. In "the book" they have a 2 Minute Drill where you do a loose rope turn with 1 hand, and then change to a leverage rope turn with 2 hands. This carving drill really helped me with my first w2w.

Hope this works for you too.
Grace B.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: OR/WA

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was going w2w on about a 60 foot rope after a few months. But, it was also on a boat with a very narrow wake. When we got the Nautique it took me a few weeks to get used to the bigger and wider wake and also riding at 75 feet. It just takes practice, but you will get it! Keep working on it! Remember to keep the handle to your hips and stand tall once you reach the top of the wake. You don't have to cut in super hard to clear it either, just cut all the way out, let yourself flatten out and then curve nice and easy back into the wake. Good luck!
criswb
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Guayaquil

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me about 7 months of riding... IT took me that long mainly because I was not understanding how to do it correctly because the people that were teaching me didnt use the correct terms. I used to think that to jump, you had to do a jumping motion at the wake. It was after 7 months of riding (about 4 of trying to go w2w) that I understood that what I needed to do was to stretch my legs all the way when i got to the top of the wake, instead of doing a jumping motion. I also tried the ollie trick, but didnt work for me, and i thought it would be best to learn w2w the right way.

I ride at 70-75 feet, depending on the size of the wake we decide to have that day. shazie, I feel the same way at riding with shorter rope, I feel as though I dont have enough time to prepare for my jump.

What did it for me was, cutting out the farthest I could. Stopping. Looking at the wake and waiting for the boat to start pulling me back in. Once that happens, I lean back slowly and try to show the people in the boat the bottom of my board (Imagining this helped me a lot in my progressive edge! I read it in this forum, so thanks to whoever posted that) When I get to the top of the wake (Might get a few tries to feel when it's the top of the wake) I extend my legs all the way as fast and hard as I can and pull the handle to my waist. From looking at pics I see that when I jump i usually have my front foot higher than my back foot. (Why could this be?? Help please!) But I find that when i pull my legs up, thats no longer a prob. Then just bend your knees and land softly on the other wake! Remember, dont be looking at the boat, but where you're going to land.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes.

http://www.myspace.com/cristiamador
sh0rtyme
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Portland

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

criswb, the reason one foot is higher is probably because you are coming into the wake with more weight on the back foot. It is fairly common and easy to fix if you pay attention to what you are doing. Pulling your legs of for a grab will definitely help too. But for sure watch how bent both legs are coming into the wake. You might actually be able to get more pop if you have even weight on both feet.
shazie
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

criswb[b] I used to place more weight on back foot. Coach told me to stand tall by putting more weight on my front foot, he said even though I seem to put more weight on my front, actually in real, I would have even weight on both because the back foot would naturally follow. Result, more controlled landings.

After Thought: Shouldn't our front tip be higher in the air to some degree because our board is sweeping up the wake, we are afterall flying in an arc shape pattern across the air?
NightAngel
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Union Grove

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm well got some coaching tips and it seems that I am trying to stand up with my whole body instead of relaxing and just standing at the knees. I too put too much weight on my back leg. When I was trying to add more weight to my front leg, I was in pain. Apparently my right leg has no strength what so ever. It was burning so bad. HAH. I am goofy so my dominant leg is my left one and it shows. I am still trying to figure out what board to use and I dont have any bindings that fit atm so things are tough. I did find out that I need a bigger board than what I am currently riding. *O5 Obrien Science 138*
wakeboarder 13

City: Georgetown

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wakeboarding for about 3 months now, but I only get to go on weekends so I try and do a lot in those couple of days. I'm trying to do W2W jumps but I can't get enough air or height. I have an old boat with a not-so-great wake, but also my rope is attached directly above the inboard motor (about 1 ft. above the water), will this make it impossible to do a W2W jump?

HELP!
b_girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarder 13 wrote:
I've been wakeboarding for about 3 months now, but I only get to go on weekends so I try and do a lot in those couple of days. I'm trying to do W2W jumps but I can't get enough air or height. I have an old boat with a not-so-great wake, but also my rope is attached directly above the inboard motor (about 1 ft. above the water), will this make it impossible to do a W2W jump?

I've got the same problem - I'm using my Dad's old boat and the wake on it is absolutely horrible, not to mention the fact that it's an outboard. I've also got my rope attached to a ski tripod, so it's not too high up.

I've been wakeboarding for about 6 years and on the weekend I finally had the chance to use decent equipment (FINALLY bought a good board/bindings) and get pulled behind a better boat, and the difference was amazing.

So, I'm just finally being able to sort out my w2w - I was told that I bend my knees too much when I hit the wake. I'm working on breaking that habit now but it's proving to be quite difficult!
wakeboardnut
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ladies, just browsing through the forum.

Most of you have the right idea about the edge, but just so no one gets confused, there is no OLLIE needed for any sort of wake to wake. No matter what someone suggests, its all about a good solid edge and line tension.

Couple of pointers that may be of some help, I have been watching one friend of mine who is a girl progress week by week and she went wake to wake this weekend.

couple of mistakes alot of people who are new at the sport make are the edge.

first and foremost the closer and closer you get to the wake, the harder and harder you should dig your heels into the water all the way to the top of the wake.

secondly, having knees bent is ok, just not to much but at the very top of the wake try to stand tall, this is a problem alot of people have but more affects your height and not your distance so you can worry more about this later on.

most importantly is having a good cut into the wake, as you cut out toe side to get ready for that heelside jump, dont cut out and instantly back in, wait a few seconds for that intially tug from the boat continue towards the wake edging harder and harder and make sure that line is tight, tight , tight! this tight line and good edge is whats going to spring you up and over the wakes.

hope that helps Smile

b_girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboardnut, you're a star... as always Smile
aceofdimondz

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboardnut, b_girl, i'm from toronto as well. pumped for wakestock next week?
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the shape of the wake matter as well, i've been going behind a wake that is really bubbly and not very steep, its a jet boat, can i still get w2w with a wimpy wake like that?
criswb
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Guayaquil

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEs you can, but it will take so much more effort! When i ride with small washy wakes I have to cut much harder and stand taller to get w2w. But if it's all you have, keep going at it, you'll be flying when you ride with better wakes!
http://www.myspace.com/cristiamador
b_girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceofdimondz, yeah for sure - i'm not participating but will be there 3/4 days (not friday cuz couldn't take 2 days off work!). this week is gonna be a good week!!
wake princess

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only took me two weeks to jump w2w. I have been watching friends do it for a long time....so i ppicked up on what they were doing by watching. You want to edge out as far as possible, make sure ur knees are slightley bent when coming back towards the wake, then once u get to the trough of the wake lock your legs so that they are straight and that should give u a nice pop. i hope i helped a lil bit
BK

City: Murrieta

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy all,

I am new to this forum, and registered based on this thread. I have been riding since 03 without a w2w. Then this season I changed up my gear to a 2005 3DS (www.grizzly-sports.com) DNA 139 w/ the 7-9 Watsons and guess what? Cleared it! 07/08/06 at 8:15am @ Cottonwood Cove, Nevada in the middle of one stormy week. I have been riding with the boy's and going crazy that I could not do it, then a change to my set up and BAM w2w. One other thing I changed is the commitment to the wake. I have a 2002 X-10 with a rounded wake. So I have to go out as far as I possibly can wait for the tension and then charge the wake as hard as I can looking out to the landing not the boat and pull the rope in at the waist. I have to straighten up at the wake because I come in bent knee. If I don't straighten up I case the opposite wake (ouch!)So I know I have to in order to clear. Way safer to clear than to case. Also one of you mentioned the front end higher... We call that a "Captain Morgan" I was able to level off by changing the way I bring my knees up. Instead of pulling them to the chest bend them like your doing a squat. This leveled me off to where my jumps are level. /``````\ Great to finally find some girls that like to ride!!!! All the girls that I have ridden with like to stay behind the boat. I thought I was all alone out here~~
Lady Ortunas
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting to answer this thread all summer! I finally cleared the wake tonight. About a month ago, I took the fins off of my board. Tonight I put them back on just to see what it felt like- they restricted my movement far too much and I took them back off and then was able to clear the wake.

Now, I can only go heelside (goofy foot) and am trying to get comfortable heelside switch...

Toeside just scares the bejesus out of me- how do you go W2W toeside?! Shocked

surfersarah
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Warwickshire UK

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Ortunas, it scared the pants off me too! Shocked (I landed my first yesterday but didn't ride away clean).

Start with just doing it off one wake, cut out on your heels, wait for the line to be tight, get into the same position as you would to cut out on your toes and just FREEZE! Edge in with a medium edge, just enough so that you land in the middle of the wakes. When you get to the wake straighten you legs, keep the handle close and elbows in at your sides.

Just remember when you land to bend your knees and keep on your toeside edge!!

Lady Ortunas
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Sarah, I will start out small and get bigger just like I did with heelside. Shocked But I'm sure I'm going to enjoy drinking some lake water more than once....
surfersarah
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Warwickshire UK

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine, go for it! Oh also try not to look down once you're in the air. As soon as my board left the water I paniced and looked down, and that's where I ended up going. Pick a point on the shore, that helps. And good luck!!
godaisydotnet

City: Chicago

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh, I can't jump w2w yet either. This weekend will be my 10th day & I know it takes a while for some people, but I'm a snowboarder so I feel like I should have done it by now. I can ride switch, do surface spins, butter slides, & have started jumping 180s over one wake, but still can't get the w2w down & it makes me MAD!! I also just got addicted to wakeskating so I'm sure that's going to be taking some of my time out from trying w2w on a wakeboard. I don't have my own wakeboard yet, I've been using a board that's way too small for me & makes it hard to cut in. I'll try a bigger board this wknd weather permitting, so hopefully that'll help. I know what I'm not doing right, but for some reason every time I get out there I don't do what I know I need to. Sooooo frustrating!!! It's also incredibly frustrating that I don't have access to a boat often enough to support this addiction Rolling Eyes
mskier01
Criminal
Criminal

City: Dorset

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my first w2w yesterday. I have been riding since June but not so much in the last month (moving houses). It helped for me to be on a good boat and i know many will say you dont need a tower but it was a definite help.

I am still pumped about it!!! Very Happy Very Happy

b_girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I FINALLY got my first w2w on saturday... I was soooo pumped about it! I've been riding for years but only got seriously into it this past summer. I've been trying to go w2w for about a month now. My goal of the summer has been accomplished - I figure I've got a good starting point for next season now. yay!!!
Nautigirl

City: Plainwell

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of very good tips on here. Another tip is make sure you are actually approaching with a progressive edge. Many people think they are holding their edge through the top of the wake but they really arent. Most beginners let up right before the wake,(probably out of fear), instead of holding a strong position. Your edge should be the hardest at the wake. If you slow it up even just a little, chances are you wont clear the wake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: