Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Skateboard big air

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Skateboard big air Reply with quote

Is anyone else sick of this crap? I watched some of the X-Games today and I can't believe how long Danny Way's been milking this thing. How many times can you watch a 360 over a gap and be interested? It's like watching a street comp where everybody just does kickflips. I can't wait for the day that this whole stupid megaramp thing goes under and Danny has to go back to doing more than just 360's and Christ airs.
Colclough999
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give it a chance, itll eventually evolve into something cool. imagine a huge no grab backside flip.
WakeJammer772

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it, i actually thought i was pretty cool. I love that christ air.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen much of it before. Looked pretty sweet to me. Bob's front flip was sweet if he could have landed it. Like freestyle Moto it has a lot of room left to grow.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's room for growth, but here's the problem. The megaramp event was borne from Danny's sequence in the DC video several years back. In that video Danny throws a backside 720, a 360 heelflip indy, varial 360, and a slew of other good tricks. Neither he nor anybody else has pushed the progression any further than that. As a matter of fact, they're regressing, when's the last time you saw Danny throw anything besides a Christ air off the wall? He does McTwists and varial rodeo flips in the DC video. All they do is stick something in between the gap like the Great Wall of China and all of a sudden Danny's a hero when really he's not doing anything new.
sk8zero

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Skateboard big air Reply with quote

Jester wrote:
Is anyone else sick of this crap? I watched some of the X-Games today and I can't believe how long Danny Way's been milking this thing. How many times can you watch a 360 over a gap and be interested? It's like watching a street comp where everybody just does kickflips. I can't wait for the day that this whole stupid megaramp thing goes under and Danny has to go back to doing more than just 360's and Christ airs.

No. You know, reading this post, I had to ask myself just what is was that you were getting at. Are you seriously so blind to innovation? You say you're concerned with the progression of skateboarding, yet you diss and downplay the achievements of some of the greatest skaters in the world. Do you know how I know you didn't watch the Megaramp contest @ the X Games this year? You've obviously missed the several ROCKET BACKFLIPS Danny pulled (over a 70-foot gap no less), not to mention Burnquist's FRONTFLIP attempt. Sure, 360's can become monotonous, but we cannot simply overlook the innovation that Danny Way and the other Megaramp skaters bring to the table.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) You don't know thing 1 about skateboarding, you had to ask us how much a helmet was worth so you could sell it on E-bay.

B) Danny didn't land the rocket backflip, he only tried it once as his victory lap since, surprise, he won the event again (Danny's been doing flips for months now, I saw it long ago on the DC website). I also saw Bob's frontflip attempt as well as the switch back 180, that's actually the only trick I liked the whole time. Nice try at calling me out about not watching the event though.

C) You know how I know you're an idiot? You didn't read my second post about all the stuff Danny did in the DC video. Progression means moving forward. That means if you land a good trick someone one ups it. Bucky's heelflip frontside gay twist was a sick trick 5 or 6 years ago when he unveiled it. Now it hardly gets a second look. Danny threw backside 7's and switch back 540's over the gap in that video and he's also done front noseblunts and back lipslides over a rainbow rail in the gap. The only trick to date that he's done better than those is the backflip. If you weren't such a wannabe loc you'd know all that. But you're not, you're just a kook.
sk8zero

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester wrote:
A) You don't know thing 1 about skateboarding, you had to ask us how much a helmet was worth so you could sell it on E-bay.

B) Danny didn't land the rocket backflip, he only tried it once as his victory lap since, surprise, he won the event again (Danny's been doing flips for months now, I saw it long ago on the DC website). I also saw Bob's frontflip attempt as well as the switch back 180, that's actually the only trick I liked the whole time. Nice try at calling me out about not watching the event though.

C) You know how I know you're an idiot? You didn't read my second post about all the stuff Danny did in the DC video. Progression means moving forward. That means if you land a good trick someone one ups it. Bucky's heelflip frontside gay twist was a sick trick 5 or 6 years ago when he unveiled it. Now it hardly gets a second look. Danny threw backside 7's and switch back 540's over the gap in that video and he's also done front noseblunts and back lipslides over a rainbow rail in the gap. The only trick to date that he's done better than those is the backflip. If you weren't such a wannabe loc you'd know all that. But you're not, you're just a kook.

A) First off, I'm not sure what knowing "thing 1" about skateboarding and estimating the price of something, regardless of whether or not it is related to skateboarding, have to do with each other. We're comparing apples and oranges.

B) I'm sure you watched the comp., but you certainly did not watch closely enough.
"Danny didn't land the rocket backflip..."
That's my favorite part of your whole reply. If you had been paying attention to the TV screen during Danny's runs, you would've seen that Danny DID, in fact, throw and land the Rocket Backflip. If you still don't believe me, this was taken directly from Danny's official website:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Danny Wins X Games Gold
In case you missed it, Danny just won his 3rd consecutive X Games Big Air (MegaRamp) Gold Medal.
Danny won with an El Camino (Rocket Backflip) to Huge Christ air.
Jake Brown Won the Silver with a huge Mute 3 to the Biggest 540 ever seen.
Bob Burnquist Won the Bronze with a Switch Backside 180 to a Frontside Finger Flip.
To View The Photos Now: Click Here
Behind The Scenes Photos: Click Here
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do forgive me for not inserting the hyperlinks. I knew you'd understand. Not only did Danny land the Rocket Backflip, the trick secured his win. Danny certainly didn't need to throw it (he was already in first place because of a previous run), but that trick secured gold. You can even see photos of the flip at DannyWay.com (that's not a hyperlink either).

C) Your second post? Of course I read it. You couldn't miss it. It was the one that vehemently defended your opinion to everyone that disagreed with you, right? Don't worry, I read it.
I'm an idiot, huh? A kook, right? Do me a favor: Next time you get the inclination, spare me the redundant name-calling and "tongue-lashing". And just so we're clear, you had better SURE AS S*** have your facts straight (i.e. the case of El Camino/Rocket Backflip) before you call somebody, especially me, an idiot or a "wannabe loc".

Don't get me wrong. I couldn't care less about your opinion of Danny Way. I just don't like it when guys that I don't even know (and that don't even know me) come right out of the blue and tell me I'm "stupid and lazy" just for asking a question. I thought it was actually a fairly benign question. I was only curious what everyone thought or if anyone cared; they don't. You know, point taken, if nobody cares, but don't lay into me just for askin'.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enuff. You've been reasonable in all your responses, I'll stop being such a dick, you've been much more mature than I anticipated (certainly more than me).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: