Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

2001 Supra Launch SSV vs. 2000 Mastercraft X-Star

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pig140

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: 2001 Supra Launch SSV vs. 2000 Mastercraft X-Star Reply with quote

Just curious about some opinions. It's time to upgrade and I'm looking at two used boats: 2001 SSV and a 2000 X-star. I know they are very different, but they are both in excellent condition and priced almost the same. I have owned 2 MC's (a '85 190 and a '93 205) so I'm used to the MC. I've heard a lot of good things about Supra's but nobody has them where I live - there's no dealership near here. I'm looking for a wakeboard/surf boat (no ski crossover) and I usually put about 8-9 people in it.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
goinbig143
Addict
Addict

City: Wonder lake

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a rough choice. I love my x-star, but I've never been behind a supra I didn't like.

What do they come with? If they were both in great shape, I would go with whichever one has the most extras.
rideit
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig140,
how was the 93 205mc for wake boarding, I'm look at getting one. Didn't know if it was just good for watersking or is it a good wakeboard boat. thanks for any info
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig140, How important is deal support to you? Dunno if this will be a part of your evaluation...

I've not ridden behind a Supra either, my buddy has a '99 205V with a nicely shaped wake (is this the same hull as the X?, if so you won't be disappointed...)

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with the 2000 MC tower. A buddy has one and he's had it welded a couple of times a year for the past 3-4 years. They crack. It's my favourite wake to ride though.
pig140

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both come with towers, ballast, cd players, speakers, bimini, etc. The only thing missing from the mc is perfect pass. Both have been kept indoors or under sheds while not on water.

The 93 ps205 has been a great boat. I put the tower (proflight swoop) on myself and it has been awesome. Its not fuel injected, but this boat has been the easiest to do maintenance on. I've done all maintenance myself and most of the repairs. The wake is awesome if you weight it right, and the surf wake can be made extremely HUGE - over waist high for me (i'm 6'). Never skied behind it.

Dealer support? Our MC dealer is a crooked jerk. He'll bend you over whenever he can. He won't answer any questions you ask him. I once asked him what type of spark plugs and he said, "Bring it in and we'll take a look at it." He did the same thing when I asked him about any basic spec. Their are two other dealerships, one is an hour away, and the other (where I got the 93 ps205) is about 3 hours away. Supra dealers are about 4 hours away. I do have a friend that has a boat repair shop and he has been doing anything I couldn't do myself or guiding me through it.

I have heard about that crack issue and am a little concerned about it.
bmartin
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been behind both boats and both are capable of producing awesome wakes. I ride behind an X fairly often so I suppose I like that better, but am sure if I was riding behind a Supra more often I would like that one better.

I usually use 'generic' boat repair shops like you have been doing so I am not sure double the price dealers are really that important for 95% of the things you will need to worry about.

I would go with whichever you thought you got the best deal on. If it looks too close to compare I think PP is the tiebraker and would go with th Supra, besides it is slightly newer.
pig140

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses. It sounds like I can't really go wrong. I'll keep you posted on my decision. You guys are a great help.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong on this but I don't think Skier's Choice bought Supra/Moomba until 2003 and their quality improved a lot. This may have just been Moomba though so I could be wrong. I'd lean toward the MC if it were me. I have a friend with at 22SSV that is awesome but I don't know if they were the same back in 2001.
Nauty
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember exactly which year Skier's choice took over Supra, but ever since they did the quality has been getting bettter and better.

The SSV first came out in 2001. It has had the same hull ever since up until next years 2007 model in which the hull is getting almost a foot longer and 5 inches wider. Therefore, the wake behind a 2001 SSV will be just as good as the wake behind a 2006 SSV. As long as the motor, tranny, and other moving parts are in good order you will love this boat. It can take a lot of ballast that can be 100% hidden (with playpen version) and controlled with a flip of a switch. The SSV doesn't have a ton of storage space (once you fill up the sacs) but it does have a ton of cabin room.

A buddy of mine has an '01 X-star that I ride on every now and then. The wake behind it is also great. If you typically ride with a smaller crew you will love this boat as well. However, when you ride with 5 or more plus gear it can get a little cramped. The cabin is quite a bit smaller than the SSV.

For me, when you are deciding between two boats that are 5-6 years old, the difference in percieved quality at the time of brand new delivery is irrelevant. MC has a better reputation for producing a quality boat, which they do. However, I think the decision between two 5-6 year old boats has more to do with which boat is in the best condition NOW.

They both will produce massive, great shaped wakes. The MC will require you to use an additional sac or two in the bow or on the floor to achieve the same sized wake as the Supra with it's ballast hidden. I'm not saying the MC needs more ballast to get the same wake as an SSV. In fact, it's the opposite. The SSV will need more weight. My point is that with the SSV you will be able to hide the weight and thus have more space to move around in the cabin.

Therefore, decide which boat is in the best shape. Also decide which boat fits your needs better (how much space do you need). In my opinion, the boat in better condition is the boat you should get.

darty
Addict
Addict

City: Lexington

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering that you'll usually have 8-9 people and the SSV has PP, i would definitely go with that. Nothing against the MC, its a great boat too, but the SSV seems to fit your needs better in this instance. Plus, whatever you could get the MC for, plan on adding, what, $1200 for PP? (I mean, it's basically a must have).

And, if I remember correctly it was in 2001 that Skier's Choice took over Moomba & Supra.
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supra, all the way. My friends 01 is awesome to ride behind. Never had any problems out of it. Plus with your two choices, that PP is the ideal breaker. I can't imagine one of these boats without it.
pig140

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was leaning toward the MC until I read your posts. And, space is a definite issue. We never go with just a few. Anybody have any problems with the play pen? We pick up people at a ramp where there is no dock. They usually step over the bow and into the floor. The play pen seems like you would have footprints in it all the time. I don't like the idea of knees and feet in the vinyl. But being able to hide the weight under there is a good idea.
Epic
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig140 wrote:
Well, I was leaning toward the MC until I read your posts. And, space is a definite issue. We never go with just a few. Anybody have any problems with the play pen? We pick up people at a ramp where there is no dock. They usually step over the bow and into the floor. The play pen seems like you would have footprints in it all the time. I don't like the idea of knees and feet in the vinyl. But being able to hide the weight under there is a good idea.

I wasn't huge on the playpen when I first bought my SSV but actually prefer it now. Hard to descripe but there is a cushion that folds up and makes a nice back rest in front of the windshield so you can really stretch out up front. Super comfy up front for an adult and a few kids or a couple of adults. Don't worry about a few people stepping on the seats, I just tell everyone to take their sandals off before jumping in the boat. The playpen is actually great.
Nauty
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto for what Epic said....

I too wasn't big on the playpen either. Now that I have it I wouldn't want to be without it. Being able to put a 1000 lb sac in your ski locker is just plain nice. There's not many other boats that I can think of that can do that.

Yep, tell your family and friends to take their shoes off before hopping in. That's the law! The triple up seating that Epic is talking about is pretty sweet. It basically adds two extra seats that you wouldn't normally have without the play pen.

pig140

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's the update. I decided on the MC and we areed on a price over the phone. I got my loan worked out, but had not yet signed the papers (since i hadn't seen the boat yet). We agreed to meet in Houston, where the boat was, which is 500 miles from me. I planned the trip, got a room reserved and set everything up. The deal was set, everything was a green light, but no papers signed. The guy calls me today and says, "oh, I'm sorry, I sold it to somebody else today."

So, back to square one. I called the Supra guy, and I'm really impressed. He's kept this thing in mint condition since the day it came off the floor. I'm just not used to Supra, I've had two mastercrafts. Can I really get the wake I want out of this boat?

Does the middle of that playpen thing come out in the bow? You know, so I can walk on the floor?
Epic
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the middle of that playpen thing come out in the bow? You know, so I can walk on the floor?[/quote]

Nope, just a big ol fat sac down there.
Nauty
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!!!! You can definitely get the wake you want out of an SSV.... and then some. Again, the beauty of these boats is that you can stuff 2400 lbs of ballast in there and keep it all hidden.

The wake plate is also a must. Before buying my Supra I really thought these things were a gimmick and I wasn't going to get a boat with one on it. I ended up buying a close-out that already had it on there. The wake plate works awesome. It really does change the shape of the wake. Put the plate 3/4 to all the way up and you have a very vertical wake with a nice lip. Put the plate 1/2 way to all the way down and you have a nice mellow ramp.

This is a plus because when riding with riders of different levels you can change the ramp of the wake in seconds. The only way to do this without the wake plate is to fill or empty ballast to shift weight from the rear to the front or vice versa. For example, I typically ride with the plate at 3/4 up. I get a nice vert wake that has tremendous pop. When learning a new trick I put the plate all the way down to mellow out the wake a bit. This helps to lesson the abruptness when trying to build your confidence when learning something new.

Personally, when people try to compare wakes from different boats, I think it's pretty funny. You can get a great wake out of any of the top 4-5 brands of wakeboard boats. It just all depends on how the boat is weighted. A friend rode with me the other day that has spent the past two years riding behind a Super Air Nautique. He told me that he preferred my wake over the SAN.

Am I saying that the SSV is a better wake than the SAN? Not at all. The SAN has a great wake. I just happen to run with about twice the ballast as my friends SAN. Again, it's all in how you weight the boat. You will be very happy with the SSV. However, if this SSV doesn't have the upgraded Gravity Games sacs, don't be too quick to judge. Adding the GG sacs makes all the difference with the SSV. The GG sacs are a must!!!!

pig140

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the tower fold down? I know the 2002 does, and it looks like this one does too.

I'm getting conflicting answers on how many people the maximum capacity says is allowed. I've seen 10, 11, 12, and 13. Is there anybody with one of these that can actually tell me what the manuf. rating plate says?

I keep hearing about the GG bags, but I going over budget already if I make this deal. How would the wake be with stock bags and 8-10 ppl? Shouldn't that be pretty massive? I remember when the SSV came out, people said the wake was pretty good as is (obviously not pro-level). Don't forget I'm used to a '93 205 DD fully loaded with ppl.
pig140

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the tower fold down? I know the 2002 does, and it looks like this one does too.

I'm getting conflicting answers on how many people the maximum capacity says is allowed. I've seen 10, 11, 12, and 13. Is there anybody with one of these that can actually tell me what the manuf. rating plate says?

I keep hearing about the GG bags, but I going over budget already if I make this deal. How would the wake be with stock bags and 8-10 ppl? Shouldn't that be pretty massive? I remember when the SSV came out, people said the wake was pretty good as is (obviously not pro-level). Don't forget I'm used to a '93 205 DD fully loaded with ppl.
EWATER
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Supra boat archive the capacity is 1100 lbs /13 people.
Nauty
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on the link below for more info:

http://www.supraboats.com/archive/index.html

The capacity seems to change every year for this boat. Mine is a 2004 SSV and the capacity is only 9 people where as most other year models range from 10-13? Some day I'm going to have to call Supra and find out what the deal is with that.

Can't tell you about the tower on 2001s? My 2004 tower folds down.

MinnesotaBoarder
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U cant go wrong with a mastercraft...
gene3x
Addict
Addict

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinnesotaBoarder wrote:

Whatever dude. you can go wrong with any boat out there!

You will definately be impressed with the Supra loaded down with 10 people! It is at least pro-level with that much weight!

Epic
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinnesotaBoarder wrote:

Very helpful and informative post. I'm sure the threadstarter has made up his mind now. Rolling Eyes
pig140

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I made up my mind. I got the Launch. It is in almost mint condition. It has perfect pass and has been pampered it's whole life - stored inside, put on the trailer by hand, etc. I think I broke the guys heart when I bought it (exactly how I felt when I watched my old boat get pulled away). It has every option except the GG bags. Can't wait to get it on the water with our crew. Paid 27K. Felt like it was a good deal - I saw it all over the internet for 30K-35K.

The tower does fold down and . . . here's a wierd deal . . . the capacity plate on the boat says 11, the manual says 12, and (as stated before), the Supra site archive for this boat says 13.

Thanks, you guys have been a great help!
Nauty
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!!

Let's see some pictures!!!!

pig140

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics that the seller took. I've taken off the top speakers and I'm waiting on new ones now.

Supra_Pictures_023[1].JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  223.86 KB
 Viewed:  26803 Time(s)

Resize_Wizard_2.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  74.89 KB

Resize_IMG_3883.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  138.29 KB

Resize_IMG_3882.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  146.19 KB

Nauty
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

Water Ski Boats Dallas huh? Had I know you were in Dallas I would have offered you some pulls behind mine so you could check out the wake before you bought.

Hmmmmn... That boat ramp looks awful familiar. Could it be in the Weatherford area with the initials TT?

Nice boat!

LoudonTN
Addict
Addict

City: Boat Mfg U.S.A. - East Tennessee

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig140, sick!! You definately made the best choice, love the boat! Supra definately throws my favorite wake.
biglouie
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great looking boat. Looks like you got a good deal too, I just did a quick search on boattrader and anything similar to yours seemed to be 32K+. And NADA has that boat at around 29K for average retail with the options. Get some pictures of that wake and post em if ya can.
pilot_ryder
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: edmonton

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man that does not look like an 01, excellent condition Shocked
pig140

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the guy I got it from really took care of it. I plan on doing the same. We've already adopted his "rules."

Nauty, thanks! A pull would have been awesome. That was the only thing I didn't get to test. I could tell it looked good.

I took it out for the first time. Stock bags and only 3 of us in the boat. The wake is awesome good. I can't wait to fill it up with people and add a few sacks. I've read posts where people say the wake plate doesn't effect the wake that much. They were WRONG! That thing set at zero and the wake is almost vertical! I'm still trying to work out that surf wake though.

I'll post some wake pics when we get it fully loaded!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: