Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Budget Wake Boat Breakdown Chart
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloud
Criminal
Criminal

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kzlucas wrote:
I'm looking at a 88' Ski Supreme. Anyone know where it would fall in place on this chart or would it even have a place on the chart. I like the 2001 wake how would it compare to the Supreme? thanks

Which model is the boat? The short (19'?) closed bow or longer (21'2" w/ integrated swim deck) open bow? I haven't ridden behind the closed bow Supreme, but...

I have a 91 210 Medalist and I flat out got lucky finding it. Well under 10k, open bow, plenty of room for everyone (USCG rated for 11 or 12 I think?), plenty of power (same 260ish hp Mercruiser Ski 350 used in everything in the mid 90's, same 1:1 BW Velvet Drive tranny used in everything as well), and has been 100% reliable (creeping up on 800 hours).

And of course, the most important part...the wake - while I obviously won't claim that it's on par with a new 210TE, what is? It is, however, a very nice wake that has surprised many self professed "boat snobs" who have ridden behind it. Without weight, it's got good form, perfect width, and decent height. With weight (<2000 pounds), it gets real nice - tall, with a nice transition. A little soft, but nobody but me (250 pounds) seems to mind. I honestly prefer it to a bunch of other boats I've ridden behind - including various "budget" wake boats and even my buddy's SV211 (though those boats are better in every other way due to being newer, nicer, roomier with V-drive, and having built-in ballast...except they cost as much as a small house).

That being said, good luck finding one. Like Erik said, they're not very common, they're not very well known on sites like this, and they don't have the "mystique" that SN2001's and older ProStars have (though in the case of the closed bow boats on the list, it is MUCH more usable). Hell, even Supreme's current ad campaign (and logos, decals, etc) blows, which doesn't help matters. However, if you do find one, and it's a good deal...I certainly wouldn't pass up the opportunity. Wink
screwston_boarder
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually i think the first v-drive or atleast wake specific v drive was a centurion. i think it was called the wave. it was introduced in the mid 90s. it was pretty sweet. it had wrap around seating but no glove box the seats went straight from the back to past the driver and around the bow
Wake On My Mind
Criminal
Criminal

City: Oshawa

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone out there ridden behind a Supra sunsport?
Hows the wake?
I could trade in my 97 moomba get some money back and have a sick wake for half the price.

Sinkoumn
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Side Lake, MN - Long Beach, CA

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride behind the Sunsport up north, it's an 06, great wake, lots of storage. Definately a good purchase if you have the coin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: clear lake, texas

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi-sunsport is a launch hull
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Boston MA, Wolfeboro NH, DelRay FL, Montego Bay, Jamaica

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

882001 wrote:
fyi-sunsport is a launch hull

Sure is. Thats why it is on the "awesome" list.
Mikey27
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Shreveport, LA

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik, on your chart you have 94-02 for the 205's. I was just curious why you had left out the 92-93 models?

BTW after a year and a half of asking "best boat" questions and looking at this chart I finally decided to go with a 97 PS205. Excellent boat and wake. Thanks for the advice Erik and everyone else.

Sick_Air_Crash
Criminal
Criminal

City: Sandy

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, This is perfect I am looking for a newer boat and I have had issues finding a good comparrison of proven boats that will last. Most people are so slanted to one brand or another it ishard and this is perfect it is not that there are not other boats out there but these are the boats that are time tested and have enough to be able to find in any part of the country.
Thanks so much!!!
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick_Air_Crash, no problem. I am glad that it is useful to you. As I've said this is not 100% comprehensive - but it is definitely the set of boats that are proven wake boat platforms - and are the ones that people really talk about in reverent terms...

Mikey27, good point. I did not realize they were made back that far. I will be making the second version of that - more of a 1.1 release rather than a v2.0 type of deal - and it will include a few of the Maristars, and updated date information. Thanks for the heads up.
Loppy
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Fair Oaks, Nor Cal

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great list man! Glad to see my little old 97 Sport Naughty made the list. With just a little ballast here and there, She throws a top notch roller and the price was sweet. I love my boat. Very Happy
rideit
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is the updated 1.1 veersion going to be released.
This thread has to be one of the best for a newbie like me, I'm not blind anymore.
Thank You.
ryjaques

City: Raleigh

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: 82 prostar? Reply with quote

eric, great post. i found an 82 prostar 190 in my price range. i heard good things about these boats a while back, but now i dont know anybody who has riden behind one. it seems to me like the old star boat would throw a similar wake to the 2001 when all weighted down. what are your thoughts?
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryjaques, no the Prostar 190 is not going to give you even close to a good wake - and is not a boat I can reccomend. It is actually something I would advise you to avoid - if the boat is going to be used for wakeboarding primarily. In general if it is not on the chart, then it is not a boat I endorse (for what that is worth...Very Happy ). The only notable exception are the MasterCraft Maristar bowriders.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: