Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Any Tips for doing business with government/municipalities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottyB_RochNY
Addict
Addict

City: Rochester

PostPosted: May 23, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Any Tips for doing business with government/municipalities Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you guys do business with towns or cities. Right now I am currently in the middle of a project and an aspect of this project is to buy and sell the product to and from municipalities. I was wondering if you guys have tips on whats the best way to reach them.
As of now, all that happens is there is a guy who just calls them twice a year to keep in touch. I was wondering if there is any better ways to keep the company's name in the mind of the municipality, or any other successful ways that you have found work to gain business from a town or village.

So far I've thought of,
mailing lists
better website
e-mail lists

Thanks,
Scott Baxter
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Homeless

PostPosted: May 23, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No
2. Yes but you have to get them to your site
3. No

ScottyB_RochNY
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 23, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now theres a start. The guy right now simply makes calls to all the town superintendents and public works offices. Is this really the best way?
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: May 23, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bribery works best in Houston. All of the contractors I know grease the city council members. What about buying a fishing charter, golf, whatever... for some of the town superintendents?

RIP M.H.Legge
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 23, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyB_RochNY,

Let me know what you are marketing and I'll see if I can help. If it's a product or service, the GSA supply schedule is a place to start for the Feds. Newspapers that specialize in "Business" will publish bids for construction, supplies and services. Find the paper, read it and target the buyers. The more boxes someone can check off the better for them and you. Women, Minority, HUBZone, Small Business, Veteran, Disabled Vet, Native American, 8(A), SDB, etc.

BigRed
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Redwood City, CA

PostPosted: May 23, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explain what you're hocking, It'll give us a better idea to what you're doing and what avenues to explore.

Most programs/contracts are sent out to bid through purchasing departments. Getting on the bid/purchasing list and coming in as the lowest competent bidder seems to be how most of our contracts are filled.

What do you mean you will buy AND sell? To AND from?

Any vendors who call me or my department to "touch base" get forgotten about as soon as the phone is hung up. Understanding the proper chanels and not bothering people outside of the process is the best way.

ScottyB_RochNY
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 23, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well without telling too much, the business is a third party buyer and seller. I would say the closest thing to what they do is like a scrap yard, except the business buys things that the federal and state projects cant use, and sells it to the small municipalities that can use it.
ScottyB_RochNY
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 24, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and my biggest concern is buying from them, something that otherwise might go to scrap, rather than selling the product to them.
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 29, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyB_RochNY,

The Federal Government already surpluses everything to the 1. State 2. Counties 3. Cities 4. Non-Profit and finally to 5. 8(a) contractors. If stuff makes it passed no. 5 it goes to auction.

I know guys that make millions off of logistical support to the Feds. They make all the arrangements to move any and all government property all over the globe. From Tanks to toilet paper, the government buys it but someone has to transport it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: