Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Direct Drive Rear Seat for Fat Sac

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnivesAtGT

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Direct Drive Rear Seat for Fat Sac Reply with quote

First off I wanted to say that this is a great site - I just started going to it and this is actually my first post - everyone is very informative on this site.

I have a Prostar 190 and wanted to make a seat for the rear to hold a fat sac under it. I've seen one person who made a sundeck - but I need the seating capability also.

So I designed a seat that went a little further out than the stock seat - to create more room for the sac - but was still low enough to make into a seat. It's still a work in progress - a LOT OF WORK - but it comfortably fits a 500 pounder back there and I can still fit passengers there.

Any comments/criticisms/suggestion highly encouraged. I plan to post my plans that I drew out in addition to the how-to and pictures that will follow.

Also - has anyone else done this before and pics/links would be great.

Frame:

More Progress w/ the empty sac under it:

W/ the sac full:

Thanks,
Ben
[/img]

Last edited by SnivesAtGT on Mar 28, 2006 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

I have been considering doing the same thing for a while now. Does that ramp really help that much when it comes to space? Generally with fatsacs being round it doesn't seem like it would provide too much extra space.

SnivesAtGT

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say normally it wouldn't buy you much.

But I orderred a custom fatsac to be made from the Get High company in Miami. It's rectangle and should fit in the space very snug.

I'll update some pics w/ the new sac when it comes in.

Thanks for the comments - keep them coming...
Dip_Krew
Addict
Addict

City: Southside Niagara

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget to seal the wood with something like varathane!
SnivesAtGT

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dip_Krew,
Is this required w/ pressure treated wood? I'm blad you told me becuase I started doing some of the carpetting, but I'm at a point when I can take it off. I use all pressure treated - even the plywood is.

Thanks,
Ben

Dip_Krew
Addict
Addict

City: Southside Niagara

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok pressure treated should be ok then!
usually pressure treated wood is green,

i didnt know they made pressure treated sheets of ply wood, how much was 1?

SnivesAtGT

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was bad - 25 a 4x8 sheet at home depot. The flash really makes the wood look less treated (green) - but it all is. The 2x2 and 2x3s were really cheap though - less than 3 bucks a pop.

Here is a pic of the normal plywood and the nice pressure treated they have there.

Edit: Obviously one is particle board and one is not - but tried to show the color difference also...

SnivesAtGT

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem like there is that much interest in this project - I suppose most people on this site are the V-Drive Priviledged...Someday I will afford one.

here are some more shots w/ the finished armrests now...

matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good

does black carpet get hot though? I'm guessing it probably doesn't, but I have never been in a boat with it.
SnivesAtGT

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt1808 wrote:
Looks good

does black carpet get hot though? I'm guessing it probably doesn't, but I have never been in a boat with it.

Well the floor doesn't get too hot at all (being in FL - has a good chance too als). The seat I haven't tried out at all yet. I usually keep the cover on it except when I'm towing and boating - so doesn't really have time to heat up I guess - not really sure why...

I'm not sure the best way to make the cushions - I was thinking about removing the carpeted seat part (where you actually sit) and making something w/ vynil and plywood under it.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? Good places to get a small sheet of boat vynil, etc..?
bremsen
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Charlotte

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some searching online for some marine vinyl.....since we're probably going to try and reupholster ours sometime this summer. Cheapest place I found was www.atrim.com. You shold also use UV treated thread if you plan on getting the covers sewn.
SnivesAtGT

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bremsen wrote:
I did some searching online for some marine vinyl.....since we're probably going to try and reupholster ours sometime this summer. Cheapest place I found was www.atrim.com. You shold also use UV treated thread if you plan on getting the covers sewn.

Awesome - thanks man - I'll have to pick it up from there.

Thanks for the help,
Ben
CP3
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: SC

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just get the fly high fat sac seat. Its kind of like a couch but weighs like 1000+ pounds.
SnivesAtGT

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP3 wrote:
You could just get the fly high fat sac seat. Its kind of like a couch but weighs like 1000+ pounds.

I actually looked at those. I personally wanted something that looked more stock and was more stable that can be walked on, etc..

It's nice when moving boards around, stepping off and on the platform, etc... - not to worry about a fat sac/seat that is in the way.

That's just my personal preference. Tried it out this weekend and it worked great.
typeRider
Criminal
Criminal

City: austin

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a nice setup man. good pics as well. i'm also in the direct drive crew with a tige 22i type r. i've been highly considering have a ballast installed underneath it the only problem we've got is that not one single damn person not even on the tige' owner's site can find a setup for our specifitc boats that works just right. i've got it pretty dialed in but need a few more pounds i'm at 1620 right now but its a huge boat. so are you going to do a fill system on the exteior of the boat hull or hinge the seats in the middle or on the front so you can flip it open to fill the sacs cuz either way is pretty tight. oh about those seats.. honestly rather than trying to make them drive to the local ghetto find a place that'll upholster and has a lowrider sittin out front they'll do it cheap and it'll be nice. just don't take ur eyes off the boat for more than a few seconds or it'll get jacked and be headed south of the border hahha. j/k good work though.
SnivesAtGT

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

typeRider,
The Tige boats are really nice. I was actually looking at the Switch V as my next purchase - if I can ever afford a new boat Smile

The sack actually fills up using a Jabsco pump that is mounted to a thru-hull connection. There are two sacs in the boat (one hidden under the bow and one in back under the seat - both filled and emptied using the DPDT switches up front.

I know this type of setup will fill/empty a little slower than aerator pumps - I just love the simplicity of have a single pump and so forth...
joshlon9

PostPosted: May 03, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On those custom sacs that you had made by Get High...how much weigh did you get from each.
WannabeSS
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Ft. Lauderdale

PostPosted: May 05, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP3 wrote:

I like the project, but i think i would just get the bottom part of the seat that they make, its like 700lbs. Its like what CP3 suggested, just not the whole seat.

This is the one im looking at http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/FL_ttJqn

84 ski nautique fat sacs and fly high pole
06 Fish 125 and 06 Alpha bindings
06 PS3 137 & 05 Alpha bindings (brother's ride)
The J.Jones

City: Hot Springs, Arkansas

PostPosted: May 08, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the project man....great work.

I'd got a Malibu Response that I'm currently weighting down and love the idea. What are you going to use for a backseat now? Do you think there would be any way you could build a platform like that and then allow the orig. seat to be attached to the top of the platform?

J.Jones
SnivesAtGT

PostPosted: May 10, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thouhgt about making it so that I could use the old cushion, but the cushion ended up being too big - it took away from the back support.

If you made the right ratio, I'm sure you can probably make it so you could though.

Thanks for the compliment - It really ended up working out great. I put a custom sack in there that fits perfect and fills the entire space.

Ben.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: