Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

I have an invention. At least that is what I call it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Boston MA, Wolfeboro NH, DelRay FL, Montego Bay, Jamaica

PostPosted: May 10, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: I have an invention. At least that is what I call it. Reply with quote

I have an item that I've been working on for just under a month now. I have to be tight lipped about it, under the reccomendation of my Lawyer, and he said it is less of an 'invention' and more of a product that could warrant a design patent which could cut me royalties if the thing worked out.

Now, when I say "working on it" - I have a Web site, developed several prototypes, some Marketing plans, and I have researched and even filled out the provisional Patent Pending forms from the US Patent Office and oh what a joy were those to complete!

Now I am in the stage of developing a "show ready" prototype. When I had the idea, I built this thing immediately for my own use, because I simply thought of it and wanted it. What I built for myself was somewhat rudimentary, but now I want to build upon the concept with a nicer prototype that I could potentially take with me to any "presentations" that I am able to score. I also want to make this show-ready one for my Plan B - discussed below. Plan A is that some company says "Holy Cornholio Erik, you are a GENIUS!" And then they hand me fists of cash and pay off my boat for me and tell me to move to a larger house because my wife and I are going to be rich now.

Plan B:
Since 'luck', lately for me, hasn't been so spiffy, what do you suppose would be my next steps... when I get the 'no' from Sharper Image, SkyMall and Brookstone (the places I picture this thing being sold). Incidentally, I would have bought it if it existed. It dosen't.

The way I see it, I could build the production versions of this thing myself in my spare time and then forward-sell the thing by 10-15 units and just start doing what I can.

I realize this is a wheelbarrel load of info, but I think the basic question I want to ask is - in your opinions, should I fully exhaust the royalty option before I even breathe a word of this publicly on eBay, here and elsewhere?

Last edited by Erik on May 10, 2006 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 10, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

should I fully exhaust the royalty option before I even breathe a word of this publicly on eBay, here and elsewhere?

Legally you're already protected right? I mean if you do anything you're not going to lose any rights, correct?

With that assumption, if it were me I would do as much as I could while looking for royalties. Start producing them and selling them here, ebay, etc. You can use this data to further convince the big guys that it's a worthwhile product. Also it gives you a chance to refine your design with customer feedback to make it a better product. Whether or not you get bought out you will gain knowledge and data to help your success. Also, you are starting them out with marketing.

But I don't really have any experience at this so, take it for what it's worth.

Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Boston MA, Wolfeboro NH, DelRay FL, Montego Bay, Jamaica

PostPosted: May 10, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad - this is just the kind of feedback I am looking for.

Thanks!
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 10, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props for taking this so far. After my Sr. design project in college we thought about trying to market our product to those same groups.

We made a voice activated atomic alarm clock that interfaced with X10 and could turn on any electronic device in the power grid (house or office).

Here's the project website. It has a pictures link for the final product. It was a huge success.

http://www.tristarturbine.com/wakebrad/405/

After we all graduated we never took the initiative to turn it into a sell-able product or maket the ideas to those stores. It's too late now. I'm sure there are already better and cheaper alternatives than our design.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: