Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Back Roll

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandm692478

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Back Roll Reply with quote

aight i started wakeboarding in june 2002 and rode all summer atthe lake our houseboats on. we had a bayliner, old faithful, and this year bought a moomba mobius. i tryed relentlessly to stick a back roll behind the bayliner, anyone have any tips of the trade to share wit me, i got about 3/4 of the way each time an munched it. will the boat change help, or is it just me suckin it up? thankx.
ghettolake415
Addict
Addict

City: College Location: Orlando / Hometown: Sarasota

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the key to landing a backroll is taking a very progressive cut. dont edge in like a bat out of hell. start off slow on ur edge, when u get to the wake u really want to edge as hard as u can right at the top, then look over ur lead shoulder. and make sure that u stand as tall as possible at the top of the wake. it took me 37 tries to land it so it's not easy. the wake those u mostly and u board and since u have a Mobious u should have no trouble. i think my problem was is that i ride behind a jet boat.

but the main thing is stand tall and look over ur soulder that's what i tell myself everytime i throw it. and edge as hard as possible right before the wake!!!!!!!!
Hope this helps and here's a video of some attemmpts and then me landing it for the first time. i was stooked.
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=5736

I'm putting Salt in every lake in the world!!!!!!!!!! Except mine....

Representing: UCF Wakeboard Team & Lake Price
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Richie Martin
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Myrtle Beach S.C.

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say look over your shoulder...do you look up? or around or what?
chase
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Clermont, FL

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't look "over" your shoulder like you were going to do a spin! Instead, look and point your lead hip, lead shoulder and head towards the sky. If you look too far over your front shoulder, you will imediately start a flat spin of sorts and probably not even get upside down fully. It is hard to explain but imagine lining your chin up with your lead shoulder, not past it. Good luck!
OttoNP
Addict
Addict

City: MI

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard people say conflicting things about how you start your rotation. Are you supposed to put more weight on your back foot than usually to start it or do you hit the wake normal and start your rotation in the air by bending at your hips.
________
MOTORCYCLE TIRES

Last edited by OttoNP on Mar 13, 2011 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AJ

City: Sydney - AUS

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon the key is to just ride right up the wake and make sure u get good pop. Then fully keep the handle in tight to your waist and you can control the rotation heaps easier. Id just keep the weight even on your feet and start the rotation by looking up and back slightly with your head.
Richie Martin
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Myrtle Beach S.C.

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you keep your body rigid or allow it to be "ripped" from under you, such as a raley?
BigTimer
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Rockford, MI

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole key to the backroll, as well as many other inverts is simple, especially when it is the first one you are learning. WAIT for the POP. DO NOT try to huck the backroll right off the wake. You can throw everything else out the window (letting the rope out, looking over your shoulder, line tension, etc...) if you do not WAIT for the POP. It is a must that you wait until you POP before you begin the rotation. It is difficult to get yourself to do that, because it seems like you will run out of time for the trick, but trust me, this is the biggest key in doing any invert, especially the backroll, assuming you have the progressive edge down. Later...
Thomas P.
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut in smooth, then build it slowly. The only time to really lean hard on the rope is right at the wake. When you hit the wake, rock your weight onto your back foot a little. Then look in the direction you want to go (turn your head to your lead shoulder and look up and around). ALWAYS, always keep the handle tight, close to your hips, and in control. When you're 3/4 around the rotation, spot the water (keep your eyes open thru the trick Crazy Eyes). You'd be surprised how many people close their eyes during a trick. If you're over rotating by the time you hit the water, after spotting the landing and you're level, let the handle out slowly. This can slow your rotation if you've finished it early. THIS IS ONLY DONE AT THE END OF THE TRICK AND ONLY TO PREVENT OVER-ROTATING. If you let the handle out slowly 1/2 way thru the trick then it'll make you think twice about tryin it again.

Just remember, pop off wake, rock backward to start rotation, keep the handle tight and close to you're hips and stomp it!

www.hyperlite.com

www.byerlywakeboards.com
Sportster4Tec
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Baton Rouge, LA

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghettolake what kind of seadoo do you have? I got a new Sportster 4-Tec and i am wondering if the wake on it is decent enough to get some good air.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: