Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Wakeboarding photo prints for sale finally...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Isler

City: New York

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Wakeboarding photo prints for sale finally... Reply with quote

Well, I've gotten a TON of different e-mails from people requesting different posters and prints they want to buy.

While I can't offer dirt-cheap huge posters, I do finally have some prints available online at reasonable prices. To check out what's available, go here:

islerphoto Online Store

Then at the bottom, hit the "Wakeboarding Images" link. While I only have four images available now, I plan to add several more in the near future.

I'd like to get some feedback from people regarding what you like/don't like, prices (everyone of course wants them lower but I think they're fairly reasonable), selection, stuff like that.

Sorry for the cheap plug here but I need some feedback before I do a full-scale launch. However, the site is "live" so any orders placed WILL be fulfilled so don't just place any test orders thinking it won't charge you.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mike Isler on Jan 16, 2003 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Isler

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Issues Reply with quote

Damn, I must have picked the wrong time to post this since it looks like there are some server issues goin on now... oh well. Might work, might not.
Mike Isler

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, server problems are sorted out now. Any feedback would be great.
EriCCire
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Minnesota

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 bucks for a 20x30? wow. either that size would be nice or a 16x20 (60)would be good too but for that price i think there is something wrong
Mike Isler

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the prints are expensive but that's because that's what they are: prints. While a poster would be a similar size or bigger, it wouldn't be printed on photographic paper, with the same quality or detail.

When I teamed up with wakeboarder.com to release the Parks poster, it was EXTREMELY expensive to do. There was a huge upfront investment that was made with the hopes that wakeboarder.com visitors would be interested. I don't have the resources to produce several different posters for different images, and hope that they all sell. Many people in the past have e-mailed me privately asking for prints, so the online store is there to fill that need.

While $90 is expensive for a large print, it is comparable to others I have seen in other industries. If you find this too steep, how about you suggest a reasonable pricing structure that you think is fair. It is difficult for me to price wakeboarding prints since I think I'm the first wakeboarding photographer to sell prints online.
Sean_Brinston
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Alliston Ontario

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does 60 bucks cover your costs etc??
Mike Isler

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean,

$60 does cover my costs...it's not nearly as profitable though, obviously. However, if everyone feels much more comfortable with that then we'll see how things go at that price.

In case you didn't notice, I adjusted all prices to match. Does this work better for you?
George
Addict
Addict

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hate to say it but that is really cheap. My uncle is a professional photagrapher and he charges alot more than that for the finally large prints. A 16x20 is $350.

www.soddyriders.tripod.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cryptic22
Criminal
Criminal

City: Des Moines

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think $60 is very reasonable. I think it's very cool that you have decided to finally sell prints.

How do you plan on shipping them and what are your shipping costs? I'm curious because I ordered a Parks poster from you and it got mauled in the mail. Pat was very cool and sent me another one, which also got destroyed. The 3rd one Pat sent me finally made it with only minimal dings. Not that big of a deal on a cheap poster, but I wouldn't want a $60 print getting ruined during shipping.

Also, how about some side shot pictures that show the rider pulling a huge trick and have the boat in the picture? Like this one:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
cryptic22
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, then lets try this:
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=5985
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mike Isler

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryptic,

Sounds good, I'll search for photos like that...I know I have one of Danny Harf like that, I just need to find it...

We did initially have some shipping problems with the posters (thanks for your order also!). Distribution with prints is being handled by a company that specializes in just printing and shipping photos, so I don't think there will be any problems. However, if there are, there is a satisfaction guarantee...if they're messed up, we'll send you new ones or give you your money back.

Thanks for everyone's feedback; it is VERY helpful to me. If you have other comments that you don't want to be public, please e-mail me or private message me.
WakeBoardingManiac
Addict
Addict

City: Montréal

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are US dollars? eeek! Thats expensive!
Mariognarly
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, those are some great photos and at a great quality. I would totally pay 90 bucks US for one of those photos. Just be glad Mr. Isler here isn't at Leonardo DaVinci status.....yet Smile

Last edited by Mariognarly on Jan 16, 2003 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Isler

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario,

Thanks for your support! I also want to point out to everyone that there are prints available for under $60. 20x30 prints are very large...16x20 and 11x14 prints are also good sized and are available at less cost.
Boardbrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Southern California

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you have gone to mikes web site then you would know he is a damn good photographer. I feel the price is reasonable and If my husband would let me do my whole house in wakeboard stuff I would definately be buying Mikes stuff.......Keep up the good photos mike.
Garrett Cortese

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, Mike. It's true, kids, high quality prints are really expensive. $90 for a large print isn't a huge profit for Mike. A poster would cost a lot less, but the quality would be less and the cost to create would actually be more cause stuff like that you have to do in huge quantities. Realize that photographers make their income by creating and selling photos...you shell out $90 for a pair of pro model DCs, but those might last you a year at the most - pictures last forever. There's my 2 cents of perspective (albeit a much less experienced and qualified one, but still a photographer's nonetheless).

Alliance Wakeboard
www.alliancewake.com
Jaybird

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went to this art show downtown orlando the other week and josh letchworth has some prints there and they were selling for 350-450 framed. the prints were about 11x14 to 16x20. gives you something to compare.
Sean_Brinston
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Alliston Ontario

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry mike for bringing up the 60 bucks thing i was looking around and like the others said 90 bucks is a good deal. When you get some of dallas il buy every print ya got of her! Twisted Evil Very Happy
Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Mike. I wish you had a little bigger selection though. Maybe you are working on it. I really like the inverted one and Harf. IMO, if you had Darin and Murray up there you would sell a ton. Not to mention some more of the girls of wakeboarding.
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: san diego

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone want posters of me? 10 bucks! Laughing

Great job, Mike! See you at WSSR!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PaulMc
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: UK, Manchester

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike give me a few months to finish uni and get a job, and one of your pics will make its way over here and be on my wall. (Poor Student Sad )
Mike Isler

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I appreciate the support. I thought that the pricing was a good value...I'm glad others agree.

Jumalian, I'll definitely be at WSSR! I'll try to get WBM to foot the bill, if I can...

And to everyone, this is not the final selection of images. I am working on adding many more, it just takes time.

I haven't actually had anyone purchase one yet though...Maybe I'll have to toss in something to the first person that does buy one. Maybe a free 13x19 autographed print that's not available online, to the first order over $50?
Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got two 16x20 prints from Mike a while back, one is that Parks Oriental and the other is a distant shot of a huge Sharpe spin, so sweet. Its worth the money b/c thats what it cost to do hq scans. If you took a photo and considered it a 'keeper', this is the extreme high-end on what you could get if you bring it to a lab. But you are getting one of Mikes pictures, and as you can see its much bettter bang for the $$ Cool
EriCCire
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Minnesota

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah now thinking about since they are actually real prints...

do u have any of the parks poster left? i really want one and i now have a credit card i can use
Mike Isler

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I believe we have some Parks posters left. However, the online ordering page is down because of the server crash. Contact Pat directly, [url=mailto:pat@wakeboarder.com]pat@wakeboarder.com[/url] to order it.

Jim, thanks for your comments. Glad to hear you're enjoying the prints I made before. If you're looking for more.... =P
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ottawa

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do the parks posters cost?
Mike Isler

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are around $10 or so with shipping...then again, the ordering page is currently down so I can't tell you for sure. I didn't really handle those, it was mainly Pat. Contact him if you want one.

Also, my offer stands. A free autographed 13x19" print to for the first person who places an order over $50.00. The print you receive will not be available through the website; it is a special print.
cryptic22
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I sent you a message. Did you get it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: