Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Outboard Wakeboarding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burntorange77
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Kingwood

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Outboard Wakeboarding Reply with quote

Two questions...how many of y'all are riding behind an outboard and what tips do y'all have if any for wakeboarding success? I recently bought a used 16' outboard and plan on building a pylon for it, but wanted to know if there are any basic tips from those with experience.
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of people wakeboarding behind outboards that have added pylons and towers. Most ideas that apply to an IO will also work on an outboard. Do a search (top of the page) for outboard pylon or IO pylon. My advice is if you're just getting started, put the pylon off a season and work on the basics without complicating life with an add-on pylon.

Also, SAW 'EM OFF.

Gig 'em.

silvtongdvl
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Crosby,TX

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn - check out
www.gcwa.com
Local Houston wakeboard club - some of the guys there started that way and might be able to give you some pointers.

I have seen alot of home made pylons - secure it well - alot depends on your type of boat. I agree with the seach and DIY plans I have seen floating around

CzechWakeboarder

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many hp engine cuz i ride behind a 21ft with 150hp utboard and it works just fine nice wake n everything
burntorange77
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CzechWakeboarder wrote:
How many hp engine cuz i ride behind a 21ft with 150hp utboard and it works just fine nice wake n everything

That's one of my issues. I've only got an 85hp behind it. I know it'll get me up because a friend of mine has a 45hp with a pylon that I can get up behind. It's a little tough getting out of the water, but once up it's fine. So my thinking is that I may need to have to pylon to get the vertical lift out of the water.
jonsmith2340
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to ski and wakeboard behind outboards. One in particular was an 85hp outboard. When we put the simple ski pylon (find it on ski limited's website) on that boat it made a huge difference in getting skiers/boarders out of the water. Just pulling from that little bit higher point helps a lot. If you think you need one they are relatively cheap and easy to install. However, they will not replace a tower but like everyone else said you might want to wait awhile before you go to a tower.
burntorange77
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonsmith2340
My buddy with the 45hp built his own pylon, so I think we're gonna try to do the same for me. I definitely can't afford a tower right now. Some of them cost nearly as much as I paid for the whole boat if not more when you consider installation.
Hollywood
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Door Knob

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonsmith2340 wrote:
However, they will not replace a tower but like everyone else said you might want to wait awhile before you go to a tower.

Why would you blow your money on a tower for an outboard boat?

hal2814

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was an outboard owner until very recently (so recently I'm still selling the outboard boat). The previous owner put a tripod-style ski pylon on it so we used that. It's a 17' boat with a 120HP Evinrude on it. I imagine an 85 HP will be more than adequate on a 16' boat but probably won't have quite as good a hole shot. Just remember to take your time getting up.

You can wakeboard just fine off of an outboard. There won't be a killer wake because the engine doesn't weigh that much and you're not going to be able to weigh down a 16' boat all that much, but it'll make you learn proper form and technique. It taught me to progressive edge like a demon. Too bad I'm still too big a pansy to attempt inverts Sad At least I can hit the flats nicely on a W2W.

The only reason I'm giving up the old outboard boat is that I need a bit more interior room for the growing family (went from 17' tri-hull to a 19' semi-V with a much wider beam). I was originally going to just get a bigger hull in need of an outboard engine and make a swap but I got a pretty good deal on my current boat (an I/O).

I would do whatever it takes to get at least a decent ski pylon (probably $150 or so new). They have pretty good resale so you can probably sell it on EBay or something if/when you go to an extended pylon. And speaking of a taller pylon, be sure that if/when you do get one it's not so tall it tips the boat. That can be a real concern if you've got a narrowish beam on that 16'er.

And on point that is small but has always annoyed me on outboards is that the exhaust goes out through the prop shaft. This means that there will be a small squirrely strip of exhaust bublling water directly behind the boat. It's fine for crossing but I wouldn't stand on it for too long.
burntorange77
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input.
WakeCrasher

City: Tybee Island

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One small hint/tip, if the engine has enough power to it and an electric trim, you can trim the motor up a little to change the size and shape of your wake. This can really help a lot. Just play with it. I have always ridden behind an outboard, even the new boat I am set to recieve from the factory this week, simply cause I live in a coastal area and take the boat into saltwater sometimes, outboards are far more simpler and cheaper to self maintian. To end, I would say 100% you should look into getting a pylon sooner then later. They help tremendously in keeping the rope out of the motor area and pulling you up out of the water. As far as helping with jump height, thats under debate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: