Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

i know...not another one. sorry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdpritch89

City: Valdosta, GA

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: i know...not another one. sorry Reply with quote

I know that there has to be more posts about learning raleys on this site than anything else. I can't tell you how many times I have tried this...for about 2 years. my problem is easy to figure out, but hard to fix. I ride balls to the wall and will try anything, but I have a mental block on this trick. I CAN NOT LOOK STRAIGHT!!!! When I cut through the wake, the board whips back, and my head automatically turns to my right(left foot forward) which throws just a laid out backroll. If there is anyone who has had this problem please help. I have tried almost everything but I mentally can't look straight?
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to have that problem, sorta, and so did my friend, i do TS Raleys off a kicker, and i didnt look foward, so i would do a little raley, then go right into a scarecrow, i fixed my problem right away though, you have to look foward, or it wont work, thats wha ti have learned, it just takes practice, i always make sure im looking over the kicker and straight foward when im about to hit it for a ts raley, its works, i dont know how it is offthe wake, but its gotta be similar, check out my videos if ya want, amybe that will help, but just look foward, and concentrate on that, until its natural, and you will get it in no time, ya just got to break a bad habbit, and sometimes its hard, but all worth it at the end, good luck ,and have fun, while doing it
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

City: Baylor

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just gotta do it right, there's no way around it, force yourself if you have to

An eye for an eye will make the world blind.
-Gandhi

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
-Che Guevera
toothpick
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Clermont

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever tried them off the wakeskate? You may be able to kick the habit practicing raleys off the skate, the wrecks hurt much less since there's no board to stop you right when you hit the water. So just suck it up and practice perfect form on a wakeskate, once you get those good, do the same thing on the wakeboard.
Sean OBrien
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Orlando, FL

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go out and do some really big wake jumps. When you are in the air look at the tower/pylon. This is what you look at when you do a raley. By practicing this with regular jumps, you naturally become more comfortable with looking straight. Once you get comfortable with this, you won't freak out in mid-air and force yourself into a backroll.

This worked for me. Hope it helps.

Sean O'Brien

www.executesports.com
Straight Line
http://www.slsports.com/
garveyj
Addict
Addict

City: Savage, MN

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a really good looking girl in the boat and focus on her.

Now that is motivation!

jdpritch89

City: Valdosta, GA

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Believe it or not I have tried all of these even have someone in the boat hollering at at me. I even did a roll when i tried it on a skate...which hurt like no other. I guess my best option is wake jumps looking at the tower/pylon then go on from there. Thanks again to everyone.
SB_Boarder
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Santa Barbara

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same problem. You do not have to look at the tower. I don't. I look out where i'm going to the other side of the wake. My only advice is to concentrate on your cut. The raley is all in the cut. My guess is you are probably cutting into the wake with too much weight on your back foot. This will cause you to do the ugly, laid-out backroll mess.... So try and get centered over your board with a more weight on your front foot then you think you need. Also just let the extension happen. Do not throw your body, just let it extend after you pop.
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

City: Baylor

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey raider, I saw your profile pic of you doing a raley, looks like your still squared up even though your not staring at the tower. Is it consistent?
the best way to learn it, in my opinion, is to look at the tower, that way you won't stargaze. Oh yeah, and wear a wetsuit when you're learning it

An eye for an eye will make the world blind.
-Gandhi

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
-Che Guevera
SB_Boarder
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Santa Barbara

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My raley is my most consistant trick, and i never have a problem staying square. I did when learning them but I found that looking at the tower was less important than concentrating on being balanced on my cut into the wake. The ralley is all about the cut.
MichaelB
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see jdpritch89's raley attempt, watch the trick at 1:27 on this video. It looks like a big backroll...

http://www.wakeboardatlanta.com/wakepics/crashes.wmv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: