Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

De-Tune Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: De-Tune Question Reply with quote

Hey All,

Can someone run over the de-tuning procedure for me? I really don't wanna screw up our boards by doing something stupid...

My daughter and I are both sorta Blue free rider/cruisers but will probably start doing a bit of jumping this season.

Wes

5280HighButter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Littleton

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically all you need is a de-burring stone (less than $5). Run that along the tip and tail of the board about 6 times each. Only come down a few inches onto each side edge. The goal here is to dull the 4 points that contact the snow so they don't catch. I'm assuming that your edges have already been sharpened.
J-Ro
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Rocklin

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesgardner, Take a flat file and lay it on the base. This shows you where the tip and tail rise above the running surface. Depending on your abilities, you should de-tune from a couple inches up to either where the running surface starts or a little farther down the running surface. I prefer to file the 2 inches above the running surface and move to a de-burring stone to just right where the tip/tail meet the running surface. This makes a nice gradual change from very dull to sharp.

Read My Blog

RIP Leggester
dirtysparks
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a dumb question....but why would you want the tip and tail edges detuned? Do you lay the file perpendicular to the board's edges or parallel?
luonthesnake
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're looking to just hit jumps wesgardner, then you shouldn't really have to worry about de-tuning your edges. the most important thing about de-tuning (IMO) is its use in jibbing. when you start doing boardslides,noseslides,tailslides,etc. then you're less likely to catch an edge. but then you might lose some effective edge when your out on the grooms or on icy conditions. better to have a 2-3 degree bevel put on your board than to de-tune it so you can still have more control on the grooms. you can have a shop do it or run a file down down each side at around a 30-35 degree angle. does take a while if your using a file so the stone would work better as highbutter mentioned, just make sure you don't overdo it with the stone Razz.
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey luonthesnake,

Do any East Coast riding? We're all about ice and grooms...what is this POW stuff everyone talks about Shocked Seriously, I just didn't want to overdo anything but I do want to make my daughter's board as forgiving as possible while she gets her basics...

Thanks again for the info

Wes

Last edited by wesgardner on Nov 02, 2005 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
J-Ro

City: Rocklin

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are actually laying down carves, de-tuning is your best friend, Personally, on my toeside, I can get my elbow down and carve a circle up the mountain. Do this on a non-de-tuned board and you are on your face in a heartbeat.

Read My Blog

RIP Leggester
luonthesnake
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhh....pow. no better feeling than hitting a good size jump and doing a backflop, intentionally, knowing it won't hurt Very Happy lol. but ya, we have some runs that they don't maintain and they tend to freeze up. worst feeling you can get when you wanna bomb down one of your favorite runs but know its goona take 50 feet or more to actually stop. IMO, I felt better leaving my edges alone rather than dulling them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: