Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Thoughts on Boot sizing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on Boot sizing Reply with quote

I'm currently riding some pretty low quality items on top of a high quality deck, and am going to upgrade this season. To get straight to my point, what is the general thought about how much "packing out" a boot does? I'm currently looking at picking up a pair of Thirty Two Lashed boots, the last time I tried on a pair of 32's was a few years back (prions) and I remember them feeling really small for a size 11 boot. I opted for some size 11 Burton Moto's they fit better, but still not great, not to mention they have terrible support and insulation. So I'm wondering do boot's generally pack out a half size? Quarter size? I didn't really notice the motos packing out at all, but could it be because they are a lower end boot?
J-Ro
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Rocklin

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really depends on the boot. Burton's can pack out up to a whole size. Northwave packs about a half size. I would buy what feels snug but not tight. You want a little room in the toes to keep warm. A properly fitted boot should fit all over but not be tight in the toes, if that makes sense. An easy way to ceck is pull the liner and put your foot in the shell. You should barely be able to fit two fingers behind your heel with your toes all the way to the tip of the shell.

With boots, it's best to try on a few brands and models. They all use different foot molds to make them. Try not to go in with a certain boot model in mind unless you know it fits you. Personally I like Northwave but Salomon's may be the best fit for you. Shop around and try on as many as you can.

Read My Blog

RIP Leggester
billyjodonjimbob
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I try on boots, I try to make it so my big toe touches the front of the boot. Then the boot packs out and you are solid. Seems to work for me.
h2oproaccessories

City: semmes

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair of Salomon's a few years back..........they have been the best fitting boot for me. I might have a wired foot or something.....I dunno...But I think they are awesome. I just make sure I have a little room and i mean little for the toes....and then just tie them really tight.....and on the mountain I go. My feet would hurt with other boots. But these are great!
JohnD
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear Salomon Malamutes and love 'em. Salomons fit narrow feet really well. A lot of the other boots I've worn or tried on where too wide in the toe box.

http://www.salomonsnowboard.com/us/products/products.asp?id=417871

~J.
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Huntington, IN

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to snowboarding. When you say "packing out" do you just mean that the boot stretches out with use?
JohnD
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHiLi DaWg wrote:
I'm fairly new to snowboarding. When you say "packing out" do you just mean that the boot stretches out with use?

Yes.

~J.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat moldable liners will generally pack out a bit more than regular liners. Maybe 5-10% more than regular.
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Huntington, IN

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys Smile
finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine that all boots pack out a different amount but the difference is probably minimal. I wear Salomon Dialogs. I spent about an hour in a shop trying on all sorts of different boots. Those fit me the best and I love them. Ironically, I wear Salomon ski boots as well. I have salomon x-wave 10 ski boots ~ $600 ski boots. But IMO, the boot is THE most important part of your set up. If your boots don't fit right, your day is going to suck.

I wouldn't be brand specific, you may be shutting out a better boot b/c "X" brand is "cool"

juiced4ever
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Truckee

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirty two boots are built a little different. They will feel small for the size because the liners are built to mold out. giving you a more exact fit on your foot. Go to your local shop and make them mold them for you when you try them on. The boots are remoldable and they should not have a problem doing it for you if they want the sale. If they give you a hassle about it there are better shops out there. That is the only way to get a true fit for the the boot.

Black Flys
anarchy99
Addict
Addict

City: tacoma

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt a shop, will mold a boot for a customer before they buy them just due to the fact that if the person doesnt like them, they kinda have to just stick them back on the shelf and hope someone else in that same size doesnt try them on because it wont be a good fit for them. causing them to loose more sales in that boot. if you like your liners in ur boots know. or like the shell of the boot know. go buy some cheap boots, or a liner that u like by trying on boots, then calling the manufactur and buying some liners. this will help dial in your boot alot better than just buying a brand new boot. i would be putting my phantom 2 liners, in my new fargos, but my dc liners are 12 and my fargos are size 10.5 so they dont fit. but if they did i would probably have one of the most confortable boot i could amagine. also go in try lots of boots on. because i was stricly looking at burton, and thirtytwo. and i tryed on some vans contras, and some solomons, and the i tried on some fargos, and i really like the easyness and they way they fit. also if ur want to dial in ur boot even more, get custom footbeds, because it will make it even more enjoyable to snowboard, or even walk around in ur boots.(sorry about any spelling or grammer errors, i tend not to like to use.... and stuff)
juiced4ever
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Truckee

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THats kinda funny. I work at two shops right now and either shop has no problem doing that for a customer. Mainly because they are remoldable. Up to a 1000 times before eva breakdown in the liners.

Black Flys
snowboardcorey
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: minneapolis

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quality shop should definitally mold the boots for you as well as fit them for you. If the person helping you doesnt seem to know how a boot should fit find somebody that does. A good boot fitter can make or break your boot experience.
Darin

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how much can a guy expect to spend on them moldable boots?
numbfoot
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Bigfork, Montana

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard molding the liner makes it break down faster... does it?

wakeboardertj wrote:
numbfoot, hahah you ruthless whore. blame it on the fat girl. Nice... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Blog Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Scott Jones
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Pullman or Vancouver

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moldable boots aren't necessarily more expensive than non-moldable ones. I know Vans sells boots with moldable liners for less than $200. The molding does make the liner break down a little faster, just because it's designed to move around a little bit. You can get them remolded, but after a while, they just won't mold right.
numbfoot
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Bigfork, Montana

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is it worth molding them or should i not so they last longer?

wakeboardertj wrote:
numbfoot, hahah you ruthless whore. blame it on the fat girl. Nice... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Blog Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: