Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Beaver Creek (how far)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Beaver Creek (how far) Reply with quote

Hey All,

We'll be coming out to BeaverCreek "on business" early March, what's the deal - fly into Denver and drive it from there? How far is it? What're the driving conditions? Dunno if any of these places have limo service, we're at the Pines Lodge

Apparently we can't get into Vail/Eagle County, so I assume it'll be driving from Denver.

Any help/tips're appreciated

Oh yeah, I assume my wife and older daughter (skiers) should just leave their Eastern Hill ice sticks at home and rent powder gear?

My younger daughter and I both ride so we'll bring our boards/FedEx'em ahead of time to the hotel

Any good spots for meals/good times will be taken under consideration...

Wes

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://pineslodge.rockresorts.com/info/htl.gh.asp
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jryoung,

Thanks for the link...my wife was getting horror stories about bad drive conditions...nothing too scary there....

Thanks again

Wes

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesgardner, It's all dependent on the weather, during a storm it could get nasty. I-70 is well maintained though, so they should have it cleaned up shortly after a storm.
DavidHoff
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesgardner, I've got a house in Beaver Creek and have been going the past 10 years. So I'll give you this info, and If you have any more questions just PM me...

I've made the drive to Denver in about 2.5 hours. Once you get up into the mountains, there are two passes (I forgot the names) and If the conditions are terrible, they will most-likely be shut down. The passes are pretty slow, since most 18-wheelers are putting their chains on, and all cars are going slow, it can get pretty backed up. But under most conditions, it is fine.

In Beaver Creek they have 2 main parks. There is "Moonshine" and "Zoom-Room" ... Moonshine is the pro-level park, with a super-pipe, huge rails, and large kickers ... Zoom-Room has rails no more than 3-5 ft. off the snow in some parts, then others that rest right on the snow. The kickers are pretty small but you can get good air off of them. The mountain has runs of all terrains, and is pretty diverse so that's good. The intermediate runs are scattered, the beginner runs will be all the way at the top of the mountain, and then "Grouse Mountain" is the most advanced terrain on the mountain. There are 2 "bowls" that can be nice when groomed, but the lifts are long and slow. It can get crowded sometimes, so my advice is get out as early as possible, especially on powder-days, and just enjoy...

For food, Beaver Creek town center (at the base of the mountain) has many restaurants from pizza/hamburgers, to sit down/dress up type stuff. On the mountains, the main place is "Sattle Spruce" and it can get really crowded, so If you want to eat quick, get their early in the day, or late after everyone leaves. There is another place, more BBQ-Style, called Red-Tail camp that is smaller and less crowded. If you want more options, you can always take the drive a couple of miles down into the city of Avon and you can find anything there.

In the village, there are many board shops to check out. Personally, I'd recommend "The Otherside Snowboard Shop" and it's somewhat hard to find, so If your interested, just ask around the town If you can't find it.

That basically covers it, so just PM if you have any more questions...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jryoung,

I hear ya on the weather...she made it sound as if the roads were bad even on a clear day...having not been out there and having been on some pretty bad mountain roads, I just didn't know....thanks again

Wes

wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DavidHoff,

Sounds good...thanks for the tip on the boardshop...maybe I'll just take my boots and bindings...I've been looking for a reason to upgrade my board...

Thanks again

Wes

billyjodonjimbob
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really all dependant on the weather. I have had it take anywhere between 2 and 12 hours. Getting over vail pass and through the tunnel is a bummer if it's dumping......but totally worth it when you get to the mtn. Very Happy
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey billyjodonjimbob,

For now, bring on that dumping...the day I drive it (god says) it'll be clear.... Mr. Green

Wes

JohnD
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesgardner, if you want to take the wife out for a nice dinner, try Splendido's. It will set you back a few bucks, but well worth it if you like good food.

http://www.splendidobeavercreek.com/

BTW, if you have never ridden Rockey Mountain POW (and you're lucky enough to get some during your trip), you're in for a real treat! Smile

~J.
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JohnD,

Thanks for the meal tip, yup I'll need to do that as she will be in conference most days while I'm out on the hill Sad Mr. Green Sad

Some pow went up my nose years ago but I've not ridden it...lookin' forward Shocked

Wes

finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should take you about 2 hours or so to get there from denver.

Beaver Creek is the wealthiest resort among the vail resorts....there could be fancier places in CO but my guess is no.

wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey kswiss,

Gotcha...having not been there but been to a bunch of my wife's conference locations worldwide, we've come to expect pretty top-shelf stuff...

Wes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: