Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

where can u get 6.5 inch pvc for speaker enclosure?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdawg
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: knoxville

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: where can u get 6.5 inch pvc for speaker enclosure? Reply with quote

i see alot of diy wakeboard speakers that look pretty easy to build but where do u get the 6.5 pvc pipe from?
joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The O.D. of 6" Schedule 40 pipe is 6 5/8". So just get a couple couplings and a couple caps a little bit of 6" pipe and your good to go. HD only carries up to 4" but Lowes has 6" in DWV which is the same dimensions. just be sure its not the thin wall stuff because that junk is different.

I actually am in pthe process of putting mine together. A 6 1/2" Audiobahn mid bass/tweeter component set and matching 4" 2-way per side all PVC and bolted together in one unit. They are looking sweet should be done for the weekend.

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
Buergday

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine at Home Depot. I just used the end caps. They sound great too. It's funny, because my boat is nothing fancy, but the stereo blows a lot of expensive systems out of the water. I'll be tied up to a bunch of sweet new boats, with nice systems... and they'll ask me to supply the tunes. Laughing
J.T.

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see I used 2 couplings for a front back 6.5 Kicker setup and the pipe was donated out of scraps from a hardware store (its the blue inside) and ubolsts with clear plastic hose on it, helps not scratching the Tower( but I did anyway) Too many Beers! I need covers now as you can see the Bugs!!! the hardest thing is to cut the pipe staight but put the crooked end to the inside of the coupling
http://img38.echo.cx/my.php?image=boat0056pi.jpg
http://img38.echo.cx/my.php?image=boat0041fq.jpg
kdawg
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: knoxville

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. u gotta love this website

rip mark kenney
wakedude10

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buergday-
Those speakers look good. I was looking at HD and lowes and they do not have any DWV or PVC that is 6". What did you make yours out of because i am not sure what your talking about when your first explained it.
ohdoor
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: OKC

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find any at a store you could try ordering the stuff online. http://www.mcmaster.com has almost everything PVC that exists...
boarditup
Addict
Addict

City: Allendale, MI

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a plumber's supply house. They sell wholesale, but will sell to you if you have cash. You are looking for Schedule 40 PVC, CPVC or Schedule 80 PVC or CPVC.

www.boarditup.com
www.placidwaters.com
joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sched 80 will work, but is heavier and way more expensive. A Sched 80 coupling is over 20 bucks and caps are over 30. Dont mix sced 80 and sched 40 fittings unless you want to for some reason, because although the ID's are the same the OD's are about 1/2" difference.

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
Buergday

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Buergday-
Those speakers look good. I was looking at HD and lowes and they do not have any DWV or PVC that is 6". What did you make yours out of because i am not sure what your talking about when your first explained it.

I used the same schedule 40 PVC end caps that everyone is talking about, but instead of using a coupler and small piece of pipe to sandwich in the speaker mounts, I used (and this sounds wierd) a heavy duty 3/8" thick mailing tube. They're made of a super strong cardboard material, and they fit very tightly into the PVC end caps. They also seem to provide better acoustics, because they dampen the plastic vibration and noise of the PVC, so they sound less hollow and more full. I slid the tube into the end cap, leaving about an inch clear at the end of the cap. Then I cut tight-fitting speaker mounting rings out of hardwood, sunk them into the end caps until they bottomed out on the mailing tube (flush with the opening of the speaker can), sealed them and then expoxied the hell out of them. Once the mounting rings were in place, I stuffed (loosely) the inside of the cans with lightweight foam and screwed the speakers into place with plain old wood screws. It took some creativity and problem solving to figure out the entire process, but the speakers turned out pretty nice for a total investment of less than $75 (including the speakers - ebay). I was happy because they aren't as long (front to base) as the DIY PVC cans you usually see. They're nice and compact.
Painting them was simple too. I sanded them completely smooth, then just used a special PVC spray paint, applied in about 5 or 6 very very very light coats. Then I threw on a metallic pinstripe that I bought at an auto parts store to dress them up a bit.
Hope that helps!
Vampyre
Addict
Addict

City: Ooltewah, TN

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buerg.. what size are those speakers? Where did you get the PVC spray paint? Any more pics? I am really liking your idea, and want to make some, maybe even double facing (front and back)
Buergday

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speakers are 6.5" pioneer 3-ways. I got the PVC paint at a local home improvement store called Friedman's, but I'm sure you could get the same kind of thing at Home Depot or Lowe's. I don't have any other pics right now, sorry. Making front and back facing ones wouldn't be that tough either. Just use the 6" PVC couplers as the body. I'm not sure, but you may need to seal the two speakers off from eachother to get the best sound though.
tmbrown
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: East Roseville

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a tower yet, but I used six 6.5" speakers in the boat, and I enclosed them all... some w/black PVC from home depot... then the later ones with Acrylic tubing from Tap Plastics. Many people complain that it's too loud on my boat Laughing
Wakeboarder166
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Sioux Falls

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to add some tower speakers to my homemade pylon but i am not sure how to mount them to the pylon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Beaver
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nanaimo

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakeboarder166, i guess you could mount them side ways, might look like jets or soemthing though. If you do it or if anyone has put speekers on a pylon please post.
onomado

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buergday wrote:
Quote:

Buergday-

I used the same schedule 40 PVC end caps that everyone is talking about, but instead of using a coupler and small piece of pipe to sandwich in the speaker mounts, I used (and this sounds wierd) a heavy duty 3/8" thick mailing tube. They're made of a super strong cardboard material, and they fit very tightly into the PVC end caps. They also seem to provide better acoustics, because they dampen the plastic vibration and noise of the PVC, so they sound less hollow and more full. I slid the tube into the end cap, leaving about an inch clear at the end of the cap. Then I cut tight-fitting speaker mounting rings out of hardwood, sunk them into the end caps until they bottomed out on the mailing tube (flush with the opening of the speaker can), sealed them and then expoxied the hell out of them. Once the mounting rings were in place, I stuffed (loosely) the inside of the cans with lightweight foam and screwed the speakers into place with plain old wood screws. It took some creativity and problem solving to figure out the entire process, but the speakers turned out pretty nice for a total investment of less than $75 (including the speakers - ebay). I was happy because they aren't as long (front to base) as the DIY PVC cans you usually see. They're nice and compact.
Painting them was simple too. I sanded them completely smooth, then just used a special PVC spray paint, applied in about 5 or 6 very very very light coats. Then I threw on a metallic pinstripe that I bought at an auto parts store to dress them up a bit.
Hope that helps!

Man knows his $hit...lol
wtbamoomba
Addict
Addict

City: raleigh

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know nothing about pvc... what does the schedule mean?

big ups to my sponsor Monster Energy Drinks!
Buergday

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's a measure of the thickness of the "walls" of the pipe, but it could also have something to do with how much internal pressure the pipe can withstand. Basically, different schedule pipes have different thicknesses/strengths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: