Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Steps to learning to kiteboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyAndy
Addict
Addict

City: cutchogue

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Steps to learning to kiteboard Reply with quote

All my life, my 3 favorite things have been riding, sailing, and skiing. I saw a kiteboarder for the first time the other day and thought it was the sickest thing ever. I went over and talked to him and ended up helping him launch his kite. Ever since then all ive thought about is kitebording and how bad i want to do it. I looked around online and have discovered it was pretty pricey. So my first step is getting a job (again) and making some serious dinero. After that i assume im gonna have to go take some lessons. Lessons cost liek 500 bucks for 8 hours up at montauk so i think i am going to do that. After i learn the basics, im going to take my remaining green and invest in a board, harness and kite. Ive got a very strong sailing background, and of course, i ride so im hoping i pick it up pretty easy. Does anyone see any flaws in my evil plan? Any advice? Thanks
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice I can offer is to drop $100 or so on a small trainer kite now. Fly that thing everytime there's enough wind to learn basic kite control. You'll get alot more out of your lesson if you know exactly where your kite is without having to look at it. Only way to get to that point is by flying all the time.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan. Check out www.iwindsurf.com and buy used gear from there. its cheap and usually all kites come complete with bars and lines, etc.

Get a trainer kite like Wallrat says. Learn to fly it well. This will keeps you from having to do this step on precisous lesson time. Do it on your own time so the instructor can teach you something meaningful on his time. Learn the basics from him on how to launch, land, rig, rescue, etc. once you know all the basics, you wont need him anymore.

Then go out and take your knocks. Your sailing will be your biggest benifit and will serve you well over the rest of us. The rest is just wakeboarding.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
IlliniBoarder
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, I just learned in August, and I'm still a beginner of course, but I can give some good advice when it comes to getting started...I just took a one day private lesson and got it down, although all the guys at the shop said I progressed faster than most, as the kite flying came to me really fast...just flying the kite, knowing the wind, etc. is what will make or break you.

I would really recommend a private lesson. I think I probably got more out of the one day private lesson than I would have from a 2 day camp, because the 1 on 1 constant attention and instruction just pushed me straight through all the steps of learning the basics. But it depends on your learning preferences. If you pick it up fast like me, one day of private instruction would be alright, but if you need more practice on the water with an instructor, then a camp would give you more supervised time on the water.

The initial lesson you take is probably the most important thing about learning that can't be stressed enough. Make sure its a reputable place. After my lesson I was so stoked to kiteboard, I couldn't sleep that night because I was thinking about how much fun it was and how I wanted to do it again. The guy who taught me really motivated me and got me going, and even called me up later and reviewed the lesson, gave me tips on buying gear. Most shops that offer lessons should also give you a good deal on a package...if you are really short on cash and the guys know this, they will probably hook it up just to get you on the water after you shelled out cash on the lesson. And definitely look for used gear...you probably wouldn't want to invest in brand new gear as a beginner anyway if the stuff is getting beat up all the time from the learning process.

So I would say 1) make sure to take a really good lesson, preferably private and 2) get the gear you need and just get on the water and practice as much as you can after you have the basics. A trainer kite as suggested is good for practice as well, but if you are really short on money you might not want to spend it on a trainer...most shops will let you come out and fly a trainer kite for free on certain days during the week, or if you are thinking of taking a lesson.

Keep motivated and get into this awesome sport, you won't regret it

Last edited by IlliniBoarder on Sep 12, 2005 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
ballywho
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you live near montauk? What kind of boats do you sail? We should race sometime. I'm going to be in Newport this weekend at the boatshow. It should be awesome, you should come up. I'll be in the Bavaria booth. Anyone up in the area, stop by if you want to see some nics a$$ boats.

Last edited by ballywho on Feb 27, 2009 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
cva

City: MONTERREY NL

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the wakeboard the same type of barod u use in windboarding??
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorta, it looks the same but the rocker is a little flatter on the kiteboard.

LFADAM
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New York City

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr, Is it possible to use a wakeboard? I have a substance 141 which seems big.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use a wakeboard. I learned on a Premier. However, it takes alot of kite skill to ride one, therefore making it hard to learn on. Because of the rocker, a wakeboard has alot of drag. Alot of drag requires alot of power to keep it planing (like a boat!). So, you have to use a really strong kite size in a given wind to keep it riding properly. A good kiter can do this without a problem, but a beginner will struggle.

So, bum an old kite board from someone or buy a used old one for $50. Leran to ride on it, then switch to your wakeboard when you got it down, and sell the old one for $50 to some other beginner.

I will say that if you do get to riding your wakeboard, and you ever demo a high end kiteboard, the difference is striking. You will end up buying a kiteboard and keepig you wakeboard for the boat only (if you ever go back to boat again!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Kiteboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: