Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

heli-skiing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardinkid

City: manteca,ca salt lake city, ut

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: heli-skiing Reply with quote

so who has done it? tell me about it?

boardinkid
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear there is nothing like it, but if it's pow you seek cat boarding is a way better bang for the buck. You can do 2 almost 3 cat trips for the same price. Not to mention they don't have "no-fly" days.
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Homeless

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done both and there is nothing like Heli Skiing. It is expensive but well worth evey penny.

Only really got scared once when we were landing on top of a cornice. I looked out the window and couldn't see bottom. Thank God the pilot felt the cornice was too dangerous to land on.

Make certain you are in fantastic shape! Skiing waist deep powder all day flat wears you out.

If you're a skier they make you use their deep powder skis--super heavy and very wide. Take an orientation on avalanche and beacon training. The guide is always the first one down and you usually follow in single file order. On each slope the guide usually takes a core sample to check the snow conditions for avalanche.

An experience not to be missed.

cezza
Addict
Addict

City: Hamilton, New Zealand

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude you gotta try it here in NZ!! theres so much heli-skiing over here!! i havent dont it yet coz i cant afford it Crying or Very sad haha

good thing about it is that you can choose your run anywhere you want

* no i dont smoke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
boardinkid

City: manteca,ca salt lake city, ut

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude,, sounds awesome,, trust me,, i am getting in shape for the upcoming snow! i ski and board,,, but thanks for the advice
, will have to look into the cat skiing!

boardinkid
southshoresledder
Criminal
Criminal

City: meyers

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jealous... damn haven't done eaither but sounds sick
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about and talking to some local guys about back country snow mobiling/boarding/skiing. Looks and sounds as good as either Heli or Cat skiing. And for the cost of a few Heli trips you can buy your own sled.

My problem is finding buddies that are crazy enough to do it. Sad

Scott Jones
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Pullman or Vancouver

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done any Heli trips but cat riding at Hood is pretty fun, and inexpensive. Snowmobile backcountry is always awesome. You can go basically anywhere you want, just make sure you aren't a moron and get the sleds stuck in the middle of nowhere. Any kind of backcountry riding requires way more responsibility, fitness, and knowledge than any in-bounds stuff.
Brian B.
Addict
Addict

City: Dawson, Minnesota

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sisters old boss was heli-skiing in the Swiss Alps. His heli hit the mountain in bad conditions and crashed killing his two friends with him. He's a professional golfer
Se7en
Addict
Addict

City: Somewheresville

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went in Bella Coola, BC. Best experience ever. My only regret was not taking wider skis. I went with my Pocket Rockets, was still awesome but something a little wider and heavier would've been much better.

Definitely take an avalanche and beacon class if you plan on going.
Bethany
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Bend

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Father of the girls I am a nanny for is an heli-skiing instructer in Blue River, BC. He has invited me several times to go up. I would love to but I think my powder riding needs more practice until I go out.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bethany, Feel free to pass along that invite, my skills are tuned, I just need some time to get in shape.
h2oproaccessories

City: semmes

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna go sooooo bad. I was flying over Alaska and saw all the mountains just covered with snow.....and you know thats all untracked terrain........one day.......one day......I probably need to get a little better before I try that though....I should stop breaking bones.....that might help........lol........
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung,

The only way to get "in shape" is to ski/board more. Very Happy I used to go at the end of February or early March after about 30 or so ski days. No matter what kind of shape you're in you leave it all on the mountain. Even when not in ideal shape the brain releases more than enough adrenaline to keep you going all day.

That and it's not non-stop. You spend quit a bit of time surveying the lines, checking the snow and waiting on/for the other people to come/go down. Because of avalanche danger everytime I've gone you have to go one person after another. Once one gets to the bottom of whatever your doing, the next goes.

h2oproaccessories,

Pretty difficult to break bones in 4' high powder, no worries. It's worth saving every penny you can to go at least once in your life.

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcap wrote:

You spend quit a bit of time surveying the lines...

That's the part that is going to get me in trouble. If I sit and look at a line long enough I'll keep drawing lines where I shouldn't. "Oh yeah, I can that chute, speed check, take the drop then crank out a toeside turn before that exposure there's plenty of room" Laughing

There is a line at Alpental just to the right of Chair 2 when you come up above "The Fan" and have yet to reach "Rollen" that I watched all year until Mid-Feb (1999) when it filled it enough to make me comfortable. I don't know if I'd ever do it again, but looking at it 4 days a week back then sure made it look easy.

Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Federal Way / Bellingham

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcap, Have you done the North Cascades heliskiing?

I want to check it out... there is only so much of Crystal and Bakers BC I can cover in one day.

I'm going down to Utah in Feb. Hopefully I'll get setup with a cat. I forgot the name of the group that does it though.

And when you say they require you to use their deep pow ski's, what were you on? I've got some pretty fat skis, I think they're like 98mm at the waist. I think they should be OK. Rossignol Scratch BC's if your interested.

lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung,

The nerves are gone once you manage to get on the Helicopter for the first time. After that you no longer have any choices. The powder is so deep you really never have a chance to get out of control--even on the steepest stuff. The boarders really have to carry there speed when the mountain flattens out.

Laugh Damon,

North Cascades seems to be very pricy! We go to a place North of Whistler--It's cheaper and you can combine the Heli Skiing with skiing at Whistler. I wouldn't recomend a multi day Heli Skiing unless you ski the deep almost everyday. After 13,000 ft of vertical in the deep stuff you are worn out!

They do make you wear there skis in CA and Valdez. They are bigger and widder than anything I've ever seen. They must weigh 10 lbs a piece! They also have around a 10' "powder cord" attached to the ski so you can find it if they ever come off.

Some people I've talked to said someone was starting a backcountry "snowmobiling skiing/boarding" at Whistler. From the sounds of it, that sounds like the hot ticket. Just you, your friends and a few guides going into the BC for some untracked powder. Should be a lot less than Heli Skiing also.

Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh nice, I have yet to visit Whistler(in the winter) so I doubt my first time will be spent in the BC. But definatly something to look at if I do plan a trip.

I found the snowcats deal, they basically take you into Alta's deep BC with a cat, 200 per person, 5 runs.

You've skiied Utah I hope?

lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh Damon,

$200 for a day of cat skiing? Man that's a hell of a deal! The experience may be on par with heli skiing--no crowds, untracked powder, good friends, and frozen sandwiches.

The only negative about Heli/Cat/Snowmobile skiing/riding is it spoils you. It's difficult to have an epic day on a resort mountain afterwards.

Haven't made it to Utah, yet. Been to AK, MO, ID, OR, WA, CO and CA. After Whistler it's tough to want to go anywhere else. It's a pretty tall bar.

Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I bet... but I mean, skiing the only resort on the planet that doesn't allow snowboarders is quite the experience.

It's gotta be on your to do list atleast?

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh Damon Taos, Mad River Glen and Deer Valley are still stuck in the dark ages too.

From MRGs website:
Quote:
To preserve the area's unique character the shareholders of the Mad River Glen Cooperative chose not to allow snowboards.

From Taos:
Quote:
No snowboarding, just classic alpine skiing for all levels of skiers, expert to beginner, children, teens and adults.

From DV:
Quote:
No Snowboards, Please

At least they said please Laughing

Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah forgot about Taos... hahah thats funny... Who knew there would be skiing in New Mexico.

Actually... To be honest, I think I've been run down more at Alta then I ever have at Crystal (isnt that why they don't want snowboarders?), but I know Crystal like the back of my hand... so maybe I know what to stay away from.

Whats a typical day of heliskiing cost... 800-1000?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: