Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

help with knee diagnosis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skobi1
Addict
Addict

City: eugene, or

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: help with knee diagnosis Reply with quote

im having some knee pain lately, a freind of mine had a torn meniscus and he thinks that what ive got. can any one who has had a torn meniscus please describe the location and type of pain they had. thanks
Jello John
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably should just see a doctor.
Shawn Madison
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Norris, TN

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to some good medical sites and look at the self diagnosis area. Get some really good information and write down any questions you may have. Tomorrow, call a doctor and schedule a visit to get some Xrays, etc. Atleast you will be able to ask him some good questions and know what is going on!
TK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mythodikal
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Beaumont, TX

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deffinately wanna get the docs to look at that man
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
skobi1
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no insurance, iwas hoping to self dignose so i could research the cost of fixing it
Zach M
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to a doctor, then research the price of fixing it.
Mythodikal
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Beaumont, TX

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he cant he gots no insurance .... yea I have the same situation wth the insurance deal ... just keepin my fingurs crossed I dont get hurt u know
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zach M
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to one of those free hospital clinic things. I don't know a whole lot about them 'cause my dad's a doctor so he diagnosed a lot of things for me. I know they have them though.
Bo Coppinger
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Chattanooga, TN

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctors give a much better diagnosis than we do on this board. It would be in your best interest to go and see one insurance or not.
dan
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Long Beach

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm in the same boat. I tweaked my knee pretty bad while snowboarding (although I did get a sweat photo out of it - see below). I also don't have insurance (the insurance through my new company kicks in Feb 1 - figures). I found this website that might help you at least discover what pains you have and what they "may" mean:

http://www.kneepaininfo.com/

This site has lots of good links and, in my estimation, is a pretty good site for "layman's" terms of knee problems. Hell, there's even a wakeboarder on the front page!

As for the photo I was talking about, here it is:

- Click here for the rest of the pictures of our trip.

I actually stuck the landing, but buried my nose in some powder and flipped ass over tea kettle, somehow tweaking my knee.

But, like I've said. Check out that site. I've blown out both my knees more times than I can count (fortunately, no ACL damage - knock on wood). This site is very good and in line with what my doctors have told me. I do have to admit though, everyone is right. It's worth getting it checked out. I just can't afford it, and I'd be willing to bet you're in the same boat.

Good luck bro.

dan@earthwake.com
h2oslider
Criminal
Criminal

City: Austin, TX and Greneda, West Indies

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: help with knee diagnosis Reply with quote

Definitely don't go to the doctor till you have insurance. Once you see a doc without insurance and then you get insurance it will already be on file that you have this condition. Then once you get insurance the insurance company will call it a pre-exsisting condition and won't cover it. Get insurance first, then wait a few months and then go see a doc. Then if you have a serious problem that will require surgery it will get covered and you will have a new knee.

I had some pain in my knees for the past few months that seemed like it was in the joint itself and near the knee cap. Turns out I have Chondro-Malacia. Basically from 12 yrs of wakeboarding with my stance all the way out, my knees took so much abuse that it roughend up the backsides of my knee caps. Now they no longer slide smoothly across the femur and get irritated when I ride. Glucosamine is helping and so is Vioxx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dan
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: help with knee diagnosis Reply with quote

h2oslider wrote:
I had some pain in my knees for the past few months that seemed like it was in the joint itself and near the knee cap. Turns out I have Chondro-Malacia.
I've got something like that myself. It's called PVNS (Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis). What happens is, all the stuff in my knee - cartiledge bits, bones bits, blod clots, any loose body - will become hard. The doctor says its essentially like throwing sand into a set of gears. Chondro-Malacia is a possible side-effect, although there are worse things that can happen, such as the knee totally locking up due to a large chunk, etc. Only 1.8 out 1 million people get this, so I'm a rarity. They don't know much about it. No idea when it started, how it started, or how to fix it. I have a pretty mild case, but people sometimes end up needing replacement joints because of it.

I'm planning on doing what you mentioned with the insurance. I'll be on as of Feb 1. I'll wait about a month and then see a doc. That should take care of it. Hopefully I won't be in pain (or lack of movement) for that long.

dan@earthwake.com
J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,,, Looks like JAY PEAK...... the beast of the east. One of my favorite places to ride the POW....

Tell Rob Berube I said HIGH, I met him over the summer at a Programming class in Mass. He's a hot stuff.... He saw me reading a wakeboarder mag and we started talking.

PEACE
J_DOGG

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys arn't talking about Insurance fraud now are you????..lol...

My buddy did the same thing for his ACL.
dan
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's Stratton. Believe it or not. We hit it on a great day...2 foot dump 24 hrs prior and 6-8" every night we were staying there. This little picnic table was in the woods and just begging for a jib session. Check out the gallery of pictures at www.gotwake.com/wicedsnow and you'll see some pics of Rob Berube.

By the way, it's not insurance fraud Confused It's just a way to make sure that you don't have to pay for it.

dan@earthwake.com
Shawn Madison
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Norris, TN

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Health Department and demand to be diagnosed. Tell them you have no insurance and you are a student (whatever you are) and you cannot afford a major surgery. Also, tell them that it is affecting you very severely and you cannot get over it. Ask them for any help with some kind of assistance or aide. Depending on your income, you should get all you bills covered and have surgery.

My friend was in this position last year and he blew out his ACL wakeboarding. He went to the Knox Co. Health Dept. in TN and they covered his surgery and rehab costs.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dan
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I was still in school and could pull that.....Then again, if I was still in school, I'd be under my parents insurance and be all set.....
dan@earthwake.com
wake152
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Eugene, Or

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tough it out Taco Bell Chalupa

You Down with AGB?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
billm
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: TX

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont guess see a doctor it could get worse if unattended...

Lata

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ottawa

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? No free health care? Oh yaaahh, you're not in Canada...

Sorry, I'm bitter about winter and just had to say that.
skobi1
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h2oslider yours sound kinda like what i have going on its near the knee cap and just to the inside lower portion. it gets worse with heavy use, then in a day or so its ok again, or if i crouch down on it at all. thanks for the input
Mariognarly
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have osgoods knees, where the bones grow faster than the muscles do. It hurt like nothing else in this world, some days I couldn't even walk up stairs, but I grew out of it and these knees are as strong as ever. By reading some of these posts, Im so glad that I live in Canada and have government health care, its just too risky to chance, your health is too important to toss around, my advice would be move to canada and get your knee fixed in to time, but thats just what I would do.
dan
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but, if we move to Canada, we'd

A) have to talk funny
B) have an even shorter season
C) have a horrible exchange rate when we jump the border

Wink I'm just playing around. I think universal health care is a great idea. I don't see why the US can't adopt it.

dan@earthwake.com
BigTimer
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Rockford, MI

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H20slider- I was diagnosed with Chondro-Malacia about 8 years ago. It's really no big deal. Sure my knees ache most of the time but it's not unbearable or anything. And it's not like there is instability. It just sucks because you are in some pain. When I stand up and sit down, especially when I'm crouching, you can really here my kneecaps scrap. It sounds like running some sandpaper over cement. But that's 'bout it. I'd take it over a torn ACL, LCL, or MCL any day. Later...
EmoKid
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Arlington, WA

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the doctor for my right knee on wednesday, got yet another MRI set up for this wednesday. My doctor believes something is loose in my knee. Confused So I don't know what to think of that...

Knee injuries SUCK.. blah!

skobi1
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news, i think im actually going to get some insurance. as soon as my waiting period is up im going to see the doc. thanks to everyone for the input.
Mariognarly
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL @ Dan....haha so true....eh? lol Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: