Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

tower speaker plans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vampyre
Addict
Addict

City: Ooltewah, TN

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: tower speaker plans Reply with quote

I am looking for any plans that somebody may have come up with for 6.5 inch speaker cans. I have searched, and viewed various designs... I am leaning towards the PVC that can be paintable.
Any help with anything anyone has drawn up, or experiences along the way?

super4011
Criminal
Criminal

City: puerto ordaz venezuela

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i dont have experience with it, but i think you cant paint it
guedo8

City: Austin

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some tower speakers out of PVC. I used a Rust-Oleum paint (Rust-Oleum Hammered) that is textured to paint the PVC with. Once it dries it has a nice shine to it and it is almost like a rubber coating. It has seemed to hold up just fine. The water beads up and falls off. Doesn't scratch off easily either. If someone can tell me how to put a picture on here I'll post a pic of the speakers finished.
guedo8

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the tower speakers. I used a Nylon Spacer to bolt the two enclosures together. Just click on the Gallery.
super4011
Criminal
Criminal

City: puerto ordaz venezuela

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really nice, are does normal car speakers?
itch
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: m m m itch igan

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guedo
Did you wire them direct or did you use an enternal crossover? Did you use some foam on the inside where did you get the end caps and what about the band and the clamps, come on hook a brother up.
ITCH

guedo8

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a four channel amp in my boat with a boss crossover. The crossover isn't a must. I just had the stuff in my car and decided I would appreciate it more in the boat. I bought the clamps off Crutchfield. The clamps are suppose to be for the bazooka tubes they make for boat but I figured I could make them work for me. I put a clamp on each enclosure just to make sure their was enough support because all that PVC weighs a lot. My tower doesn't rattle at all now that it is weighed down.

As far as the speakers go I bought them at Best Buy for 100 bucks a pair. For an extra 20 dollars you can get insurance through best buy for them. If ANYTHING happens to them you can take them back. The insurance is good for 4 years.

On the inside the best thing to use would be poly fill. You can get that at Hobby Lobby or any other craft store. I just took an old comforter and cut it up and stuffed it in there. You just want some sort of cotton to in there to absorb the sound.

After a lot of searching the only place I could find that sold 6 inch PVC was Lowes. I the connectors are like 10 bucks a piece and the end caps are 7. Then all you need is some regular 6 inch PVC to glue the two pieces together and another small piece at the front to drill the speaker into. If you don't put that piece in the front the speaker will sit to far down in the PVC connector.

For the speaker terminals I just drilled 2 small holes in the back part of the enclosure and put 2 bolts from the inside so the ends of them were sticking out of the enclosure. I then put a nut on there so it wouldn't fall into the enclosure. Then all you have to do is get some thumb bolts to tighten the speaker wire down.

I hope that answers all your questions. If you have anymore just keep em coming. I have taken them to the lake a few times since they were completed and people love them. They can't believe I made them. I figure if I had bought them it would have cost me double.

If you want pictures of specific areas of the enclosures just let me know. I'll put them up here for you.

Good Luck
Vampyre
Addict
Addict

City: Ooltewah, TN

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work! I am thinking of doing this very soon myself.
How much did the mounts cost you?
when you say "regular 6 inch pvc to glue the 2 pieces together", I need some clarification.
As I understand it, it goes like this?
Larger 6inch PVC, the whole length, a smaller ring of PVC that fits in the end of the PVC, and in the end of the cap (like a smaller diameter coupler?). this same sized "ring", or coupler would go in the front, long enough for the speaker mounting screws to screw into.
Is this correct?
VERY nice work..

onomado

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyre, the coupling has a shoulder inside it to butt against the pvc or smaller pipe with, so you will have to cut a piece that sits flush with the face of the coupling to mount the speaker to, then if you are going to cap teh end, you will have to cut a piece that sticks out of the back of the coupling to glue the cap to, and butt the cap against the other end of the coupling.
onomado

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quedo8...how is the sound quality of your speakers? Mine have a lot of distortion once they are loud enough to hear behind the boat while boarding...just wondered if you experienced this too?
guedo8

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put some foam inside the housing and I also have a boss crossover wired up so there isn't much bass coming from the tower speakers. I plan on putting either 2 12's or 2 10s in the boat so I don't really want any bass coming from them. Besides you wouldn't be able to hear it while wakebaording anyways. But other than that I had to sit out on the water and just mess with my setting while I had the speakers turned up so I could figure out what worked best.
DiyGuy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All DIY aluminum cans. 8 inch and 6.5 inch cans. Easy but time consuming - recommended for winter project!

~
~

***VIDEO***
~

CLICK HERE

I wouldn't touch the Metric system with a 3.048m pole!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: