Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Flow Bindings--Are They Worth The $? NEW TO BOARDING

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Homeless

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Flow Bindings--Are They Worth The $? NEW TO BOARDING Reply with quote

Stopped in a sporting good store tonight and they were having a huge board sale. Like always I can't go in without coming out with something so I picked up some stuff for my son.

After looking through all the bindings, boots, boards for my 8 year old I ended up picking up the following:

Lamar Dragon Boots--Look wide enough for his feet compared to every other boot. Nice and tight all around the foot.
Flow A-2 Bindings---Looked like they were the easiest to get in and out of. Also looked like the double straps are wider than any others--more support I thought.
Burton Chopper 131--He started on a Burton last year and wouldn't look at anything else.

How did I do for a newbie? Are the Flow bindings worth 3x the cost of others?

Thanks[/u]
Bethany
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Bend

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icap,
It's all preference. I think for your son they are probably good since they are easy to get in and out of and he is a beginner. I wouldnt reccommend them to someone who will be riding hard in backcountry or the park. Some people say they are not as rigid and don't offer as good as support as they traditional strap-in bindings. I personally don't care for them and since they are more $$$, It works out.
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bethany,

Thanks! I think I made a mistake on the bindings. He didn't have any trouble with the traditional straps last year. We've been playing with the settings and I'm having a tough time getting them as tight as he wants.

Looks like to get out of them you have to loosen them and once your off the chair lift you have to fiddle with them some more. Might be difficult for him with mittens to get them tight.

I have 90 days to return them so what would you recomend? Easily adjustable, easy to cinch, easy to cinch up with mittens?

Thanks, I'm lost even after picking up a snowboarders buyers guide on the way out of the store!

Bethany
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Bend

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icap,

Well, see if you can get them as tight as he wants them. With the flow's you just pull the stap thingy over the back buckle thing right? (like my descriptiveness) Very Happy If you think you will be spending lotsa time fiddling with them, take them back and see about something else.

I would rather him be comfortable with the tightness than sit there and mess with it , when you could be getting fresh tracks. Wink

I have a hard time deciding what to purchase as well (cause I want everything)! There is so much out there and it all depends on what you like and your price range. The buyers guide is extremely overwhelming but very helpful if you can get through it. Very Happy
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back strap thingy is the easy part. It's the effing little wing tip thingies over the top of the mid and forefoot that are a pain!

My biggest problem is our local boardshop doesn't stock little kid stuff so I have to go to the big sporting good stores. So I'm shooting in the dark and the other little kid bindings I saw only had a single strap over the top of the mid foot. Can't imagine that it's to good but I don't know.

I really never knew boarders had so many choices!!!!!

Thanks, I'm going back this week.
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kamloops, BC

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I hate about these is they are not good for hiking. They are freakin' impossible to get on while sitting. While riding though... They're great-Very Rigid. I'd highly recommend them.

Make sure to scrape snow out before putting them on or you'll be sorry.

Jay Dutton
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Park City, UT

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got some the other day, you can find them pretty cheap online but make sure you get the higher end ones, the Flow site has a good graph of their bindings showing which ones are high end and the application. I scored these for $99 from Steep and Cheap, they were last years high end FS binding, Pro S-FS's. They don't feel too different than my regular bindings (using my jump around the living room method) I have a bone spur on the top of my foot and it's been killing me w/conventional bindings. Hopefully they won't suck, I have a bunch of other bindings if thats the case.

As far as adjusting them, it's a one time deal. It took me a little while to get them dialed in but, I shouldn't have to touch the adjustments ever again.

lcap, Did you ever get those releasable bindings from Revolution here in UT?

flow.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  39.3 KB
 Viewed:  5748 Time(s)

lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Dutton

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance. Revolution was sued after some lady died on Mt. Bachelor last winter. Here is the story:

http://www.snowboard-mag.com/node/4263

Although the manufacturer was aquited it's tough to be a small company and survive a law suit, especially when your sales are slow.

It's caused me to rethink my wakeboard binding. It's on the second prototype and it works great. It should help prevent major accidents but it won't be 100% either. So once it's ready I'll give everyone the info so they can try it themselves.

On the Flow bindings my son likes them "super tight" no wiggle room at all--up down or either side. Is this "normal?" If I tighten them up that much you can't get out of the back.

They are this years A-2, they were sold out of last years. But I got last year Lamark Boots for $19.99! Very Happy Have to love last years equipment!
Jay Dutton
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Park City, UT

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcap, Where in that article does it say revolution was sued? Nidecker, a Eurpoean co, was the one being sued because thier bindings DID NOT realease and somebody was got trapped in a tree well. Evidently Revolution was brought in as expert witnesses against Nidecker. I actually talked to the Marketing Director of Revolutoin, Brady Fox, the other day on the phone and it seemed like things were steady rolling w/them. They still have those releasable bindings for sale on thier site too.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/1117274376112361.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

As far as the flows, I can get mine as tight as I want and am still able to get in/out just fine.[/b]
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Dutton,

I tried to re-order them again just now and the website said sold out but you could pre-order. Went all the way through the checkout and nothing. No reciept to print out, no confirming e-mail, nothing.

I'll call them tomorrow and see whats going on. I think it looks like a great product and am interested in trying them out.

Thanks

luonthesnake
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my boy has the same probs if he wants to get them down tight. he seems to do alright until he gets a little snowpack on the bindings baseplate and then he really has to shove his boot in so he can lock up. i had the same bindings but just didn't really like them so I passed them onto him (he asked if I wasn't going to use them if he could Razz ). if I would have went to traditional straps at first, I would have stayed with them. got me some K2 Cinch bindings at a good discount ($85-04/05 model). so far for me, one of the best bindings to get into. locks up like the flow but has has the regular straps instead of the big face like the flow. just something you might want to check into. the best part I love about them, I can always unstrap rather than unlock when hiking up and down in some pow hitting a cheesewedge Very Happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: