Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Mounting hardware for platform?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kamloops, BC

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Mounting hardware for platform? Reply with quote

Hey y'all.. My dad and I were talking about making maybe a teak platform on the back of the boat and it's an i/o and we were wondering if there would be a way to get mounting hardware and stuff to start this?
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey QNev,

There were a couple of I/O threads awhile back on swim decks - basically the brackets are triangles either stainless or aluminum - for the outdrive to be able to fully tilt up, you may have to design some sort of hinged "door" in the middle section - try searching out the thread(s) and see if they help you, but the answer is YES, you can devise a fairly good swim deck.

Let us know what you decide...and post pics!

Wes

410fortune
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Morrison

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bam, he hit all the good points. I am planning the same thing on my I/O.

You will have to go through the transom to mount the supports.
ALOT of thought and research should be done before you design or build anything, where it sits at plane, how far up and out to go, will the outdrive be able to come to full up trim, and still turn. will the platform be removable?

A good place to start is by looking at decks that come on new boats, even new I/o's
Vampyre
Addict
Addict

City: Ooltewah, TN

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought of doing this myself. I have a 99 Bayliner 1850. I will be hitting the local Bayliner dealer, and taking a good look at their factory swim platforms, including using a flashlight to look under the engine cover at the inside of the transom. Please share what you find out.
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best place to observe your transom while underway is, interestingly enough, from behind the boat. Next time you're getting pulled, pay attention to how the ass looks and where the water sits. Then do the same thing while the boat is sitting still. Crawl around inside the boat and look for good places to poke through the glass. Ideally you want a nice big flat area but good luck finding that. Also, watch where the outdrive comes up, you'll probably need to hinge a door for the upper part for when its on the trailer. Once you've got some good measurements, I'd suggest making some brackets out of stainless, kinda like the ones you see holding up shelves. Also you'll want some stainless backing plates for the inside to spread out the load. Throwing in some kind of damper in the form of a rubber or neoprene gasket is definately required.

I'm planning on doing the same thing as soon as I finish my tower, cept I can't stand the upkeep of teak so I'm gonna glass mine.

nan0
Criminal
Criminal

City: San Jose

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this site for brackets, steps, etc.

http://www.boatwoodwork.com/index.html

a few others to look at -

http://www.swim-platform.com
http://www.woodworkingforwatercraft.com/platformio.html
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kamloops, BC

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright so we looked at some of those AFI brackets and we are looking at a 14 incher. We are building a 20 inch (from front to back) teak platform with a possible hatch for the prop leg. Does anyone know where we can order teak? The local hardware stores don't carry any Confused
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey QNev,

For teak - get a copy of WoodenBoat or Professional Boatbuilder

Here's one - prolly not the cheapest, but came up on Google. Think boatbuilding....we used to buy containers full out of Baltimore harbor and mill it ourselves thus saving big $$

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/to.jsp?eclDrill=2536&TYPE=MORE

Wes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: