Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Concidering KB-ing. Use of normal wakeboard?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kamloops, BC

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Concidering KB-ing. Use of normal wakeboard? Reply with quote

Hey I'm considering going into KiteBoarding and I was just wondering if you use just normal wakeboards or if you need to get specific ones?

Thanks

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use any wakeboard, but they are challenging to learn on. You have to have alot of power and consistent power. When learning it is hard to manage the amount of power you need, and even harder to apply it consistently. I learned on a HL Premier, but had a really hard time. once I got on a kite specific wakeboard, riding became so easy. The difference is the rocker. In order for a board to go up a wake smooth, it needs alot of rocker. This makes the board inefficent, but it doesnt matter since the boat pull is consistent. A kite specific board is flatter since it isnt needing to pop off wakes, so it is much more efficient.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr, what about on like a beginner wakeboard? I've got a fluid 137 (first board) with a small rocker (2.2" I think)
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will all work, just require smooth power delivery. i could ride a wakeboard today and be fine. However, when begining, you always have to watch the kite and your cumbersome steering causes power surges. Whith these surges it is easier to ride a big flat board. i learned on a 158cm!!! So when you miss steer and cause a power lull, the board just coasts. A wakeboard will begin to slow down and sink immediately, just like then you let go of the rope wakeboarding.

You can use any board and have fun, but a kiteboard will be easier. You you are young and in shape, so who needs easy??

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr, I've also got an obrien 144 with a very small rocker. That might be better. How much would it cost for a full setup including all of the different kites I would need for different winds?
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally you will want to buy some useed stuff to beat up while your learning. Used stuf can be bought for $150 - $250 per kite (used kites are generally sold complete with lines and bars, etc) You will want to start with 2 kites, a 12m and a 16m (or 11m and 15m depending on whether the brand is using odd or even sizes) These are easy kites to fly and work with. A bigger kite will get you out in lighter winds, but they are so slow that they are hard to learn on. Smaller kites rock, but if you need a kite much smaller, it could be too much wind to be learning in. You will need a harness $50-$100 new (cheaper used).

Before you buy anything, I would take the lesson and beat up the school gear. This also allows you to decide what style of kite you like as you can try several. A lesson is worth every penny, but I never took one. Wish I would have as it took me months to learn what they can teach in a few hours.

Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kite size is also dependent on rider weight, line length, wind speed, and board. In SoCal my 205lbs usually rides a 16m on 27m lines in our normal 18-24 mph winds on a 139 board. My 2nd most used kite is my 20m. I've got a 12m but I rarely get to use it in SoCal - mostly its for vacations or winter storm riding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Kiteboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: