Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Pumpless Ballast

View previous topic :: View next topic  
molypod
Criminal
Criminal

City: Chilliwack

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Pumpless Ballast Reply with quote

I noticed an article on DIYTower.com about a pumpless ballast system.
Considering my boat space is limited I have condsidered building a system this winter. after reading numerous post about DIY Ballasts on here Im not sure what or how I want to go about adding a system. Pumpless Vs Pumps hard tanks (pumpless) bags ect. Any suggestions?

I have a 17.5ft Maxum I/O and have thought about a locker bag + a rear sac or waterbed tubes in locker + tubes in side gunnels + small customs sacs in bow storages . or hard tanks through out with pumpless system.

any help appreciated.
bighitbiker3
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that it is very unreliable and will only work sometimes. Someone correct me if im wrong but from looking at that it just doesn't seem right. I would just use pumps. But whatever floats your boat.
GuitsBoy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Long Island

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think it would be very reliable. Ive never used one myself, but the idea is quite sound. Next time youre out, put a section of fat sack tube into the water like a pickup, and see how much water actually shoots upward through the tubing. I think it would fill the sacs up pretty quickly. And as for draining, what could be more reliable than gravity?
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

molypod, which pumpless system are you talking about? If you use Calabria's method of putting the bags/tanks below the waterline (tight on space) you can fill while standing still and empty while moving or after you trailer your boat.

Or if you put a hull scoop with the opening facing forward and put the sacs above water level, by driving around you can have it fill the sacs/tanks and by standing still it will drain. You would probably need an electric gate valve for this so you could close the valve while moving.

I don't think it's worth it with the second system. Just get a good reversible pump and avoid the hassle.

molypod
Criminal
Criminal

City: Chilliwack

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad,

I was considering having a couple tanks above the waterline and one below. The physics of it would only allow the above waterline tanks to drain using "vent lines" and the below waterline tank would have to drain after putting boat on trailer or maybe it could be drained into the bilge area and pumped out with existing bilge.. see attached pic of orignal thoughts.

after reading about Calabria's new system I think that would work best for what I've had in mind for a pumpless system except I would have to have the tanks all below the waterline. I understand they possibly would fill by displacing air out through vent holes and replacing the air with water but I dont understand how they would drain.(would moving create a vacuum and draw the water out replacing it with air as long as the vent lines are open?)

food for thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: