Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Twin or directional snowboard?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you ride a twin or directional snowboard?
Twin
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Directional
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

tedamenta
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Breckenridge

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Twin or directional snowboard? Reply with quote

For the last 20 years I have always ridden a directional snowboard. But I just started wakeboarding and it occurs to me that since wakeboards are not directional, if I started riding a twin snowboard, it might help to better develop my wakeboarding skills.

What do others here think about this?

numbfoot
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Bigfork, Montana

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dono that it would help your wakeboarding... i rode a twin directional. i liked it for all around riding. i'm buying a new setup tho and i'm going with a twin. i'm riding mostly park now.

edit: oops before i said twin. i meant to put twin directional.

wakeboardertj wrote:
numbfoot, hahah you ruthless whore. blame it on the fat girl. Nice... Very Happy

Last edited by numbfoot on Aug 26, 2005 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Blog Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding switch will definately help your wakeboarding, and overall ambedexterity.

Do you ride true directional or a directional twin? True directional meaning it probably has a swallow tail or is a slalom board. If it is a directional twin it looks symmetrical tip and tail. Unless you are going to split riding time 50/50 regular and switch a directional twin will most likely suit you better. You can ride them switch just fine, and you'll never notice a difference.

I would only suggest a true twin for an exclusive freestyle rider who spends the majority of his time in the pipe and park.

Also, manufacturers are now reintroducing heavy directional boards (Burton Malolo, Lib-Tech Mullet). They have a fatter nose and taper to the tail. You can ride them shorter than a normal board due to the float it gives you, and they are still rideable switch. I'd love to ride one on a powder day, pretty kick ass freeride boards.

madtekniques
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I ride we have no mountains persay more like Hills so I ride park/pipe only and I have a twin shape but I have my stance set bak on the board. Really it's all up to you but this setup leaves you the option of riding it set bak or centred if you want the true feel of a twin, very universal.

In terms of a twin being better for switch riding and helping your wakeboarding . . . You have to think about how much you are riding switch. I would say that on a snowboard I spend maybe 15% of my time switch so it's more beneficial for me to have a set back stance that favours my riding regular. If you plan on riding switch 40-50% of the time then yes a centred stance on a twin would be exactly what you want.

Hope this helps.

tedamenta
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung wrote:
Do you ride true directional or a directional twin?

I have been riding true directionals, I think. I have a Burton BMC now and I bought that when my Burton Supermodel was stolen. My first boards were the Burton Cruize and Burton Air. I forget what I might have had between the Air and Supermodel but I am pretty sure that I have always had a longer tip than tail.

Until making this post, I did not know that there were directional twins. Food for thought, thanks!

tedamenta
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madtekniques wrote:
In terms of a twin being better for switch riding and helping your wakeboarding . . . You have to think about how much you are riding switch.

Until the last few years, I only rode switch by accident and to get myself out of trouble. But recently I have done it more and more and am actually getting fairly good at it.

One of the focuses of this season for me will be developing my switch skills much further. Switch bumps, switch carves, switch take-offs and landings, etc.

Basically, anything an advanced rider can do regular, I will be working on doing switch.

luonthesnake
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all I have ever boardin on has been directional. mostly just cuz the "lower priced" boards are made that way Razz lol. but there are more directional than there are twin made for boards. usually if I really wanted to center my board, just measure from the tip of each end to the binding and try to get the distances the same. but I don't really bother too much with it anymore since there usually isn't that much of a difference. the tail will usually be wider but it doesn't really affect the way I ride switch. the only thing that keeps people from going switch is just not practicing. people will try learn switch and then just up end up going back to their regular stance just cuz they feel akward. I end up gettin a badly sprained ankle last season, so I couldn't really work on tricks.....next best thing, work on ridin switch (also during night boardin when our small park was closed). really glad I pushed it cuz I have a more comfortable feel if I wanna go bigger on 180s or work on rails. definitely a plus in snowboarding, wakeboarding, skateboarding, etc. to get a more natural feel going switch. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: