Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Stereo volume = boat speed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mixelpix

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Stereo volume = boat speed Reply with quote

Has anyone had the inclination to figure out how to tie the stereo volume to the throttle. I figure it's a hassle to scramble to the volume every time I drop down from full throttle on the river, but if I don't the kids get nearly blown out of the front of the boat.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixelpix, some headunits have a variable speed control built in that turns the volume up and down with engine rpm. These tend to be some of the higher end units, so be ready to pony up.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
AndyDeeJay
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Belfast

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixelpix, welcome to wakeboarder.com

My headunit unit is Pioneer DEH P7700 (europe) and has a feature called ASL which is supposed to compensate for external noise.

Quote:

ASL (Automatic Sound Leveliser)
Compensating for additional outside noise, the automatic sound leveliser uses signal processing to automatically and electronically adjust the internal volume so that your music always sounds right.

However this function dosen't work very well as my HU is in a sealed glove locker.

I still rely on the wired remote and hit the ATT button which reduces the volume when picking a rider up.

nan0
Criminal
Criminal

City: San Jose

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the headunit doesn't support it, then it's gonna be a bear (if possible at all) to control the volume with speed. Easiest is to continue what you're doing - use the ATT button.

Although, now that i think about it - here's an idea-
using an op amp as a comparater, you could compare the actual speed to a predetermined setpoint, and have the ATT automatically switched when speed dropped below, say 10mph? wouldn't be active volume control, but would keep you from having to think about hitting the ATT before and after picking up a boarder. Have a switch that disables that option for those times you don't want music.

Might have to sketch out a circuit and see if it can be done. I'd definately use it, but would require opening the remote to gain access to the ATT switch signal.
mixelpix

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nan0 wrote:
If the headunit doesn't support it, then it's gonna be a bear (if possible at all) to control the volume with speed. Easiest is to continue what you're doing - use the ATT button.

Although, now that i think about it - here's an idea-
using an op amp as a comparater, you could compare the actual speed to a predetermined setpoint, and have the ATT automatically switched when speed dropped below, say 10mph? wouldn't be active volume control, but would keep you from having to think about hitting the ATT before and after picking up a boarder. Have a switch that disables that option for those times you don't want music.

Might have to sketch out a circuit and see if it can be done. I'd definately use it, but would require opening the remote to gain access to the ATT switch signal.

Well I guess I'll just stick with my current setup of the Calrion remote volume. I usually just blast away at the mute button when dropping speed. I'm also adding a dash switch to the blue/white amp power trigger. That way I can kill the tower speakers at any time easily without killing all the tunes.

Thanks for the suggestiosn and welcome though.
Doug
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Walled Lake

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there needs to be an extra output from Perfect Pass, so when it disengages the radio volume can be attenuated.
wakeman61972
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be nice to have something like that Laughing
itch
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: m m m itch igan

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just asking the same question this weekend. Why is that feature on all new cars but we can't get it in a boat? I have to friends that are engineers for ford/delphi I will ask them.
itch

southshoresledder
Criminal
Criminal

City: meyers

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude my suggestions is to crank that mother and leave like that all day long...
joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stereos the Harley puts in the new Ultra Classics have that feature along with Handle bar mounted controls. If someone wanted to do a little work it would be a good candidate. Weatherproof and you could rewire the handlebar wiring into some momentary swtiches for a remote.

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
410fortune
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Morrison

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you can just hold the decks remote in your lap like I do when I am driving, is it really that hard to turn it up/down?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: