Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Wiring Two Batteries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sooperspeed

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Wiring Two Batteries Reply with quote

I have a question. My Ski Supreme has only one battery. How do I connect a second one?
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you going to run a switch or just wire the 2 batteries together?
sooperspeed

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would just rather wire them together. What are the pro's and cons? Someone told me I could get a deep cycle as a 2nd battery and connect it to the starting battery, since the 2nd batter will be what is powering the stereo, lights, ballast system. Is that possible?
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooperspeed, I've heard it's not a good idea to wire a deep cycle battery with a starting battery. A deep cycle is meant to drain down and be charged back up. Where a starting battery is not designed to drain, just start and charge back up. The reason is if you wire these two batteries together, because they react differently that they will pull/drain on each other.

I have 2 deep cycles on my boat on a switch. While I'm boarding/cruising I put the switch on "All" and it charges both batteries. But if I'm stopped and listening to music I'll set the switch on one battery and if that battery dies I know I still have another full one to get me home.

If you plan on stopping and listening to music/draining the batteries down I would suggest getting 2 deep cycle batteries on a switch. If you don't you could probably just get a second starting battery (same battery would be best) and wire them together with no switch. You wire them in parallel (positives all together, negatives all together).

sooperspeed

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, we do like to park the boat and listen to music a bit. So then you use two Deep Cycle batteries for both starting and stereo? I just bought a new starting battery and I have a deep cycle leftover from an old fishing boat that is rather new. I might have to just pick up another deep cycle battery then. That sounds liek it might be my best option.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooperspeed, that's what I do. I use the Optima Blue Top Deep Cycles. They have a Crank rating and can produce the power it takes to start the boat. They're designed for the exact application we're looking at. Take a look at your deep cycle battery and see if you can find a CCA (Cold Cranking Amp) rating for it. When you wire 2 batteries together (switch would be nice) they always say get the same size and type. So assuming it's got a CCA rating on it you should be able to get a battery just like it. If not, I'd look up the model number of the battery and contact the manufacturer to find out if they think it can be used for starting.
Labatt911

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: dual batteries Reply with quote

I used a battery isolator and two optima blue top dual purpose batteries. Bought it at west marine for 50 bucks. This is how you set it up with two batteries and the isolator
Labatt911

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then just hood all of you accessories to the second battery and your main power to the first battery
sooperspeed

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I actually just got a line on a Stinger SR80 so my problems are solved.... Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers

Andy
southshoresledder
Criminal
Criminal

City: meyers

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i did was ground em, then power wire them individually to a battery twich thing and it was good to go. The battery switch thing, no clue what the real name is, but no that expensive and nessesary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: