Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

The best way to teach someone to get up?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandm692478

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: The best way to teach someone to get up? Reply with quote

My sister has wanted to wakeboard for like a year now but everytime we try to teach her she cant seem to get up, we all can ride pretty well but every tip we tell her to try doesnt seem to work, anyone got any input on this ? thankx.
sean o rama
Criminal
Criminal

City: Sammamish

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well assuming this is your little sister try using less boat speed. The boat barely has to be in gear to get my little sis up. once you get her in the water drag her around a little so she can feel the pressure against the board then just very slowly give the boat more gas. hopefully she will pop right up. good luck.
joey11bball

City: Seymour CT

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i tell all my friends is to try to keep the board above the water cause the problem that they all had is they would stand up too early and push that board underwater and then just faceplant
Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it looks like she is getting pulled over the board, I would tell her to 'sit on the board' until she feels like she can just stand up (after the board is on plane). Start out slow enough and it should be completely effortless that way.
sandm692478

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aight thanks, well she is my lil' sis in fact but shes like full grown so ill just drag her slow till she can ride squattin down then have her try standing up real slowly till she gets the general feel, that sound bout right? thanks guys.later. Neutral
SupremeWake
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah....tell her to literally SIT DOWN on the board until she's on top of the water....that seems to get everyone up that we've tried with.
skiskov

City: Rochester

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started riding wakeboards about three years ago and i think the hardest part of the whole experience was just getting the f*** up. me my dad and my freind all tryed for hours and couldnt get up. i found that its not so much the rider, but rather the driver who has it harder. you the driver have to be able to no when the board begins to plow water so you ease into the gas. the rider should be able to pull up on the rope using all upper body strength while pushing agiants the water with his/her legs. i wish i knew all this sh** before i started[/quote]
SupremeWake
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. It should not take excessive upper body strength. If you sit your rear end down on that board to start out, you should not have to use a ton of upper body strength or push your legs excessively hard. You just stand up when you start to come on top of the water. If you're fighting and using that much strength to get up, you're wasting energy. I can get pulled up by just holding on to the handle with 2 fingers on one hand...so it surely is not dependent on upper body strength.
Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, do the complete opposite of pulling yourself up using upper body strength, and also try not to push the board against the water, thats a waste of energy. Let the boat do the work, you don't have to stand up until the board has planed on top. Getting up is a very non-strenuous process, it should feel the same as someone helping you up off the ground by pulling your hands. Notice how girls pop right up when they are learning and guys look like they are trying to pull the tower off the boat??
SupremeWake
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thats right. Let the boat do the work. Skiskov...you're workin' too hard man. As for the driver, getting someone up is the easy part too! Boarders start up with very little speed/power. The board begins to plane very early with very little speed (unless of course you're burrying it with all that leg pressure).
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u could get in the water with her. and tell her exactly what to do when the boat starts moving.
tyybo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Fargo

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i kinda agree with the upper body being needed at first, after a while it is effortless but i remember when i started and i didnt have the technique down i pulled like hell tryin to get up, my advice would be slowly tow her tell her to keep every thing balanced and i always tell people to visualize like laying at the bottom of a stair chase and holding a rope and trying to stand flat on the stair in front. Telling them that they suck or "negative reinforcement" got one of my friends up but i think he was pretty pissed at me by the end so i wouldnt recommend that for your sister eheheheh
arlanj

City: The Plains

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay squatted down and use your toes to push the board down. If the person has the idea to get the board level, they will pop out with no arm pull. If they try to push the water, they will have a hard time.
ghostrider

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught a girl how to get up just this weekend...the best way i know how to teach someone is to have them put on the wakeboard and sit down. I give them the handle and just kind of pull it tight (but not pull them up) I just keep pressure on the handle and tell them to stand up. After they stand up i tell them to do the same thing on the water. When they get in i tell them to keep the board flat and just stand up like you were on the dock. The girl i was teachin got up on her second try.
pedro
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bangkok, Thailand

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just follow the rope...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: