Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Dirt bikes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Homeless

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twitch88,

Maybe he's confused by that Kawzuki thing. Perhaps uki forgot the green paint.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/RM125K6/Default.aspx

HyperRash
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Reno

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he bought an 05 from factory

all I know is that he bought a brand new 125 from factory

LiQuId FoRcE

J-sTaR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
gravitysucks1080

City: Oak Ridge

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: dont waste your money Reply with quote

ive raced since i was 9, ive had good bikes and i have had ones that where not worth the dust i filled the air filter with. I was born and raised on the ping, but the past few years times have changed BIG TIME. i race 4 stroke in arenacross(small tracks) and outdoors. non motocross or motocross 4 strokes are gonna gold their value twice as much these day witht he new ones, yea you might have to fork out a lil more cash but its worth it. I buy a brand new bike every year. Im in tight with all the guys at the shop that gives supplies and everytime im in there somebody is getting somthing for a 2 stroke, your gonna have to re build it alot more. I rebuilt my 2 stroke every 2 races, my 4 stroke is like every 5 or 6 (if you dont race dont worry bout that many times) yea every bike is gonna need maintnance but go with the 4 stroke man you will be much happier to learn on!
Mike.H
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: oceanside, ca

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a 50, youll thank me later...
wakedork
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntsville, Alabama

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki will not import a 125 to the US in 06. If he ordered one straight from the factory he might have gotten an 06 with pulling some srings, but you won't walk into a dealer and buy a 06 125 in the US unless something changes. Drumma if you really want a bike I have a friend seeling an 02 YZ250F that is in great hsape for $2500, maybe less. Your boy Dustin was going to buy it, then his whole wedding put a damper on it I guess. I have the same bike bought it last year to ride trails and stuff, but found more tracks closer to Huntsville than trails. Having too much fun on tracks now. But do ride trails and woods when i go south to my parents. There is a really good safe track in Decatur you'd would enjoy.

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully in
her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.
intotheflats
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Port Clinton, Oh

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 strokes do require maintanance more often but it is easier. Just about anyone that can turn a wrench can rebuild a top end on a 2 stroke. 4 strokes are a bit more complex when it comes to the usual maintanance.

*2011 wakeboarder.com fantasy football champion*
matt 4
Addict
Addict

City: columbia SC clemson SC

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakedork, there is a good track in tacoa GA up north of atl, i ride it a good bit, what track are you talking about in decatur?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
matt 4
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaha makes a stage 2 setup for their 50's they are bad ass once you put almost 2k extra into your 50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakedork,
Have we met? I don't got money and won't for a bit. I am thinking in the future (Perhaps a year)
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 strokes require a bit more skill to ride but IMO are ALOT more fun. To everyone saying that 4 strokes are less maintenance...you've obviously never torn one down. 2 strokes require more frequent maint. but changing out a top end is cheap and easy (few hours tops). I own 2 quads, a banshee (mine) and a yfz450 (wife's) and one bike, a CR250 (also mine). If you grenade the engine on a 2 stroke you can have it all torn down and back running again within a few days. Do the same thing on a 4 stroke and you'll be wishing your parents never met.

2 strokes aren't for everybody, which is why you see such a major seperation between 4s and 2s riders, with each claiming their machine is superior. 2s's are whiny, punchy little bastards while 4s's are smoother and feel tamer. The new 4's definately compete with the 2s (the wife's yfz WAS faster than my banshee when I first got it - don't worry I fixed that), but if your trying to stay under $2k, your stuck with one of the older models which are typically heavy and semi-underpowered. Not that you won't be happy with an older 4s, just letting you know the differences. If it were me I'd look for a late 90's/early 2000's CR125. I bought my '96 250 for $1800 a few months ago and that's in California where dirt toys are way overpriced. But then, I'm a 2-stroke guy.

holdsworth

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am about 5'6", around 150 lbs and i have a 1998 suzuki DR350 and i like it a lot. once my dad decides to stop riding, i will probably get his 2001 DR-Z400

i think that something small to start out with will help a lot...i started with an RT-100, which sucked, then moved to a 2002 yamaha TT-R 125L and i prettty much learned from that bike, then i went onto the 350. just start out easy and move your way up to a bike that you could keep for a while. if you just want to have one bike, and one bike only, i would reccomend something in the 125-250 range, especially from yamaha because their 4 stroke 125's and 250's are shorter in seat height that the 2 stroke racing bikes.
Chad H

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i want 2 stroke, but honestly don't care either way long as i will have something to ride.
holdsworth

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 strokes are better on the trails, IMO
twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: up the hill, ca

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohio_wake_2008, I agree, both are fun to ride though.

Four strokes are easier to get good on, they aren't necessarily easier to ride they are just easier to progress on IMO.

I've had both, right now I ride a husaberg fe 501 and I couldn't be happier. I think I just got tired of the track thing so I opted for more of a play bike. It is street legal, has tons of power, and handles very well for such a big bike. I was riding some trails/fire roads recently and a friend of mine on a kx 250 couldn't keep up. Don't know could just be the rider though. Razz Mr. Green

Chad H

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are KTM bikes? Are they expensive?
twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: up the hill, ca

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM's rock.
matt 4
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktm's are really nice the sx 125 is pretty sick but plan on buying a 10mm socket and running through every bolt before you ride, we fix more ktm's than yamaha's or hondas.
Chad H

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,
How much more or less will i pay for a KTM?
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM's are nice but pricey. I think honda's are generally the best bang for the buck. This is coming from somebody who primarily rides Yamaha's.
wakedork
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntsville, Alabama

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumma we've met i set your board up for you to demo at Rambo's pond. Matt the track is in Decatur Alabama it's called Pleasant Hill you can check it out at pleasanthillmx.com. It's a good mid sized motocross track, all the jumps are tame(mostly table tops) so it's a good beginner to Slow b class track. Most A riders don't like it that much for the layout but like the dirt and the fact that it's usually prepped nice. Lately the prep has been slacking due to the weather but it will get better. The family that runs it is awesome.

Drumma KTM's are awesome if you get something newer than an 02. I've ridden both the 04 and 05 Sx 125 and they are great bikes. The brakes are unreal. Youcould probably get a KTM cheap around here because the local dealer went out of business and i know alot of people are selling theres so that parts are easier to get, but htere is stilla dealer about an hour away in tennesse.

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully in
her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.
Chad H

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. Yea i remember now. You gonna be at rambos next year? I will prolly be there a little earlier and have a bit more fun considering i can driver and such..

Do you ever ride tht track off county line? Rocket City raceway i believe it is called..
Chad H

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a slight update:

I got to ride a dirtbike for the first time today. It was a Yamaha PW-80. I liked it alot. I really would want a bigger bike, but this was fun for the first one. I think a 125 or 100 would be good. The 100 there was a honda, and i think a bigger one would be better. I am still interested in thse. Now more than ever.
DunDunDun
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Kawartha Lakes

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and a buddy are building a go kart, with either a kawi or a yamaha 450F dirtbike in it, the P/W ratio will be like 3:1 for me and like 4:1 for him, hes like 250 pounds and im 135. hopefully itll fly.
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Homeless

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DunDunDun,

It may fly literally with you on it. Cool I think a bolt on spoiler may be a good idea.

Bruky

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM PARTS are more expensive. The fullsize bikes themselves are all of what...100 bucks more?

Used to have an '01 125SX, little brother had a 65 and an 85, and now a 105SX. Good bikes. Ridden pretty much everything in their lineup minus the supermoto's. Funnest KTM so far has been the neighbor kid's '04 525EXC. Wheelies at 80mph are fun Smile
Chad H

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 years later........

My MSF course is in a month. Then a Yamaha WR250R purchase is shortly after that. Can't wait.
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D@mn. Holy thread revival, Batman.

Did you grow? Laughing I'm not much taller than you and I ride a 450. If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly. Smile
Chad H

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swass,
I'm about 5' 8 and 160-170. I keep pretty slim. Have a few friends with wr250's and it seems to be the best dual sport in the class. Still small enough to thrash around a bit on the trails too.
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I outweigh you a bit, but we're the same height. In my opinion, a 250 is a little small for a dual sport. I wouldn't want to try to keep up with highway traffic on a 250.
Chad H

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swass,
Yeah, I was worried too but after talking it over with some friends who have been riding for a while, they assured me I'd be fine. Mainly taking two lane highways to the mountains for rides. Probably very little interstate riding considering the city I live in is well known for having shitty drivers. The WR tops out around 80, so i'll be able to keep up, but passing will be hit or miss.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always swap the front sprocket for a +1 or +2 tooth if it's a problem. Around town the 250 should be more than adequate. I wouldn't want to spend very much time at highway speeds on it, even with a sprocket swap.

Too bad you can't split in GA. DS bikes work killer for traffic and splitting due to their narrow size and very upright position. I considered a KLR or Versys for this a while back.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Chad H

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez,
Yeah, i'm not terribly worried about the speeds.

As for splitting, it still happens. I just refuse to ride a bike in traffic here. It's bad enough in a truck.
Chad H

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 years later and i finally got my bike. I took my MSF course in september and shortly after got the opportunity to do a 15ish mile ride through mountain fire roads in pouring rain. It was scary, but afterwards i realized how capable the wr250r was. After moving in december for a new job, i have been constantly searching for a bike. Found this one yesterday and purchased it within a few hours.

2008 wr250r.. 3000 miles. Completely stock besides a fender eliminator and a bit more dirt friendly dunlop DOT approved knobby in the rear. Got the bike, a pair of fox boots, a stand and a hitch hauler for around 3400. Bike is squeaky clean and rides great so far. I've mainly been riding around the neighborhood yesterday and today, but today i got out a little further and got to ride it around 60 for a bit, and it feels great. Plenty stable. Going to keep riding after work this week.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp looking bike.
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, nobody can accuse you of being an impulse buyer. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: