Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

making your own rails

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike.H
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: oceanside, ca

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: making your own rails Reply with quote

i decided im gonna build a rail this summer and i was wondering what do you guys usually use if your building a rail. i was thinking about making a rail out of wood then get some pvc pipes and drill them on top of the wood to make it easier to slide on. do you guys just use wood or metal or what?

i was thinkin like this...
elyse
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Indianapolis

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike.H, the PVC pipe is a good idea, but I think you may be ok with just wood. I don't know for sure though, I've never made a rail. You could always wax the wood.
79nawteak
Addict
Addict

City: Kannapolis

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're rail is for skateboarding. You can use wood exactly like you have posted above. However, dont use pvc pipe to cover it. Pvc pipe is ok for boardslides, but it's no good when your trucks start banging down into it and it starts cracking. Instead go to lowes and buy a few pieces of metal (not sure what its called) but its shaped like a "L" or a right angle place it over the sides of the wood and be sure to drill holes and screw it in from the side (not where you will be grinding) Wax it and you should be good to go! Hope that makes sense

Last edited by 79nawteak on Jul 13, 2005 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Honeytoast0303
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Holyoke

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or if you have access to someone who welds, you can give them specs on how to do it. my friend had his dad weld him a real nice rail.
http://ebaumsworld.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79nawteak, its called angle iron i believe. ya wood and pvc are only good for slides so that means no 50-50s or smiths for you. id definitely use some angle iron. i think skateboard-city has some tips for making your own rail.
wakerider231
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Deerfield Beach

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks fun
twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: up the hill, ca

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have done in the past is to use conduit or something like it. Or to make grinds and slides easier try and get some square tubing. Then attach it by drilling and fastening it through the inside so there are no screw or bolt heads on the sliding surface.

I have also used BURLY pvc and that sh1t slides crazy fast Shocked Needless to say my elbows and tailbone paid the price.

Honeytoast0303
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Holyoke

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want a rail, just go and buy one. i know theyre normaly $80 or $100, but i got a cheap factor x one. its round, but whatever. $20 at dickssportinggoods. i think they have a flatrail for $40 by another comapny in the online shop. just look around www.skateboarddirectory.com
http://ebaumsworld.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: